Max woke up in pain...

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Max woke up in pain...

Postby maxs_mommy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:54 am

and I feel like a total heel for oversleeping and not knowing. We slept late this morning and when we went to let Max out for breakfast (early brunch?) he wouldn't come off his bed and was panting in pain. He's not using his left leg if he can avoid it and slowly made it out this morning for a potty. Mucus-y poo but peed fine. He did eat all his breakfast and his supplements without hesitation. His left hip has been wonky but not to the point of pain, until now. I called his vet who said CM for the weekend and he's going in on Monday with instructions to go to the ER if it got really bad. I gave him a tramadol per the vet's instructions from the last time he had ortho issues (upper neck vertebra issues). He's resting on a papasan chair cushion on the floor now and appears to have settled a bit but every time he moves he just rotates his body by swinging around keeping his hip on the floor.This means one of us is hanging on the floor cushion with him since he's the poster child for velcro dogs. For all the x-rays we have, this isn't a set we've done yet so I guess it's time. I have a feeling this one's going to be long-term management, i'm just hoping it's hips not spine. Please, if you have any to spare, send some happy hip vibes Max's way between now and Monday.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Max woke up in pain...

Postby UpwardDog » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:08 pm

I'd try to do cold packs and arnica too.
I hope it resolves. Poor guy.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Oh, dear. I hope this is something that goes away with rest. :(

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:30 pm

poor guy. I hope it's nothing more than overdoing it then sleeping in and getting stocked up.

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:39 pm

Sorry to hear this - how upsetting. Many, many good thoughts for Max to feel better and a good news visit with the vet on Monday.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:03 pm

oh dear. sending lots of good juju to Max to feel better soon and that this isn't anything serious.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:16 pm

Oh no! I hope this is just some soft tissue injury that will heal itself and not a long term ortho issue. Poor Max and poor you too.

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby my2cotons » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:04 pm

Poor Max. I feel for you. Why can't they just stay healthy and happy until they are like 20 and then just go peacefully to sleep. I guess since I'm wishing, I could wish for older, but I don't want mine to out-live me. :) Prayers from here for you and Max.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:29 pm

The good vibes, juju and prayers must be working. Max's up walking some (mostly when I go into the kitchen in the hope of treats :wink: ). Still a little unsteady and no stairs or jumping up to the couch but less wobbly for sure. He was supposed to go on a pack walk tomorrow but we've canceled that and we're not leaving him alone so it looks like a quiet weekend. I don't know if the tramadol really kicked in or the muscle/joint warmed up or what but he's moving some. We did take video of his walk and climbing the back stairs so the vet could see and he's still not putting equal weight on his left back leg but he will stand. We'll keep it a quiet weekend and see what the vet says on Monday. SO wondered if he needs to use it but I'd rather not screw something up by having him use it incorrectly. We'll see.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:50 pm

Good! Another day of quiet won't hurt anything. Naps on summer afternoons are good for humans, too! :tongue:

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:26 pm

I'm glad it's getting better! What did the vet say today?

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:26 pm

He's doing better today but still hopping up stairs with both feet coming in from the back yard. He has the stiff hind gait of a poodle right now on his left side. His appt. today got bumped b/c of an emergency so we'll see about it tomorrow afternoon. Today he visited his secondary (neighborhood) vet for AG's and a nail trim. That office is really good too and if I had to switch I'd probably use them.

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:03 am

Sending good thoughts Max's way.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”