Little drops of blood

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Little drops of blood

Postby my2cotons » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:58 pm

I am a little concerned and should have called the vet today, but didn't. Pistol's surgery was a week ago yesterday. He is due to get stitches out Monday. For the most part the incision looks great. But the part that goes right over the pointy part of his knee is redder looking that the rest and every now and then a few drops of blood escapes. It seems its always from the same spot - in between the same two stitches. It's never much and once I wipe it off, that is usually it. It didn't happen yesterday so I was encouraged, but then today it has happened a couple of times. Should this still be happening after a week and just 3 days before the stitches are to come out? The clinic is open on the weekend, so I can call tomorrow. I sure hope it doesn't mean there is an infection or anything.

Here is a picture of the incision. Does it look like its trying to be infected on the bottom end of it. If you count the stitches from the bottom up - the blood comes from in between stitch no. 5 and 6.

http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd11 ... cision.jpg
Last edited by my2cotons on Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Little drops of blood

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:23 pm

Not sure, did you call and ask?
I would try to keep him as quiet as possible to let it heal up before Monday.

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby my2cotons » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:27 pm

No Heather. I was wishing I had called earlier, but I know the Vet is gone home by now. But I plan to call in the morning. Did you see where I added a picture above. Yes he is being kept quiet. He seems really content in his x-pen and I am so glad for that. It does seem to be when we go outside to potty that it bleeds. Not every time, but when it has bled it is usually when we come back in.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:40 pm

I hadn't seen the pic. It looks to be healing well to me but I'm just your crazy internet dognerd friend ;)

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:37 pm

DISCLAIMER: i have no idea what i'm talking about and you shouldn't listen to anything i have to say about this. at least Heather is a nurse and knows what incisions should look like as they're healing.

but:

i agree with Heather, i think the incision looks good. it looks a zillion times better than Leo's incision from the biopsy on his neck did and his wasn't infected at all.

is the blood that is oozing from the stitches bright red and 'clear' or does it seem to be tinged with icky green goo? if there's no gooey pus oozing then i wouldn't suspect infection given how good everything looks. (SEE DISCLAIMER!!)

i'd absolutely definitely without hesitation be calling the vet first thing in the AM no matter what. and keep on keeping him quiet and still as best you can until monday.

good luck!

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:54 pm

It looks pretty good to me too and doesn't look infected. That little bit of redness is the healing that is taking place, and that spot between the 5th and 6th stitch looks ok too. You know, that probably pops open a tiny bit every time he bends his leg, with every step he takes, over and over. Definitely call in the a.m to ease your mind, and maybe it will be that they will leave a couple of those stitches in a few days longer in that area if they feel its not healed enough right there where it bends. That little spot might have to heal in a similar fashion to a puncture wound where it will take some more time because it has to fill in from the inside out.

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby my2cotons » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:50 pm

Thanks guys. I feel whole lot better. :laugh: Especially since you all agree. I thought that too, that it being so close to the bend of his knee it gets more pressure on it. No green goo at at all. Sometimes it is almost more like pink water. Other times it is more bright red but still pretty watery in consistency. I'll definitely call in the morning though.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:33 pm

That's probably serum and blood, and a little is OK as long as it's clear. This isn't unusual for an incision to weep this, as long as it isn't looking like pus. Sounds like he's doing well to me, so keep up the good work. :)

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:01 am

Linc recently had a tumor (histiocytoma) removed from his wrist. Even at five or six days in it still was occasionally oozing after he would poo. It finally scabbed over, and stopped that. Linc's incision was leaking clear fluid that was slightly tinged with blood (it was not cloudy). My vet said we weren't concerned unless it was actually bleeding, or became cloudy. But I agree on the vet call (even though to me that incision looks great!!).
Laura & the Crazies:
Nick, Linc, Pia, June, and Ginger
RIP Zippy - January 11, 1994 to April 9, 2012

http://www.crooksandcrazies.blogspot.com

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby my2cotons » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:37 am

Vet is unconcerned. Since we are going in Monday morning at 11:00, he will just check it then. It actually looks even better this morning than it did yesterday.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Glad it's looking even better and the vet can give you peace of mind!
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”