Die, fleas! Die!

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Die, fleas! Die!

Postby Jen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:16 pm

One of the things I've learned in my battle against fleas is that heat kills all stages of flea. I've wondered what to do with my giant Costco beds and cough cushions because they can't be washed or dried, and I felt like vacuuming wasn't thorough enough. And I refuse to spread DE on the furniture; creating a dust bowl from the carpet is bad enough.

Well, DH had a great idea when our temps hit 100 this weekend: put them in the car for a few hours! I put all the beds and cushions in the car in the morning, by noon the temp was 180* and stayed at least that hot all day. And it was only 85-90ish outside yesterday!

DIE, fleas! :thumbup: I'll do that again every week or so. Even at 80*, the car should heat up nicely.

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Die, fleas! Die!

Postby PofiMia » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:55 pm

That is a very innovative idea! I have to confess, putting something with fleas into my car on purpose gives me the heebie jeebies, but I think your logic makes sense. Should work!

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:08 pm

so.... I, uh, guess that wouldn't be a great idea to do with a yorkie, would it...?
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:12 pm

so.... I, uh, guess that wouldn't be a great idea to do with a yorkie, would it...?
more good logic. :lol:

Jen, i have ripped open the lining of Costco dog beds to remove the stuffing so i could wash the liner shell thing. wash, restuff & sew up incision. yes, it was a PITA but at the time it made sense - lamb bone goo went straight thru the outer shell of the bed to the stuffing liner sack thing. and the bed was brand new so it was totally worth it to salvage the bed. and, well, let's face it, i was re-stuffing dog beds on a regular basis back then b/c a certain dog of mine loved crawling around inside them. :lol: i'm just thinking if you're up for it you could empty the stuffing of the beds into garbage bags, throw some DE in there, seal 'em up nice & tight and let them sit for a day or two. wash the liner sack thingy in super hot water, dry, restuff, stitch and no more worries about fleas. added bonus: if the beds aren't as fluffy as they were you'd have the opportunity to add more stuffing while you're at it.

the house will smell good with all that cedar floating around! :lol:

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby my2cotons » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:53 pm

So that means if you throw their bedding, blankets, etc in the dryer it will kill the fleas/eggs?

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:20 pm

I think the heat has to last longer than a dryer cycle to kill them, but I've also read sites that say highest setting plus a hot water wash will kill all te fleas, so I don't know for sure. I think the majority of the killing is from the soapy wash.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:29 pm

AN THEN WE BOTH WAS BOTH JUMPIN UP AND DOWN YELLIN "KILL!!! KILL!!! KILLL!!!!!!!"
Emily

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Could you put them in a black trash bag in the sun for awhile? I've heard it as the remedy for head lice from my niece and neph's parents. Maybe that's enough heat?
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:15 pm

i think that putting your kids in a black trash bag in the sun is along the same lines as putting a yorkie in a hot car... :P
Emily

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:04 pm

Maybe...I suppose it would only work with their stuff. :tongue: :tongue:
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”