Good News - Bad News

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Good News - Bad News

Postby my2cotons » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:00 pm

First the good news. We are 5 days out from surgery and Pistol is beginning to put the leg down a little bit when walking. Usually 3-4 steps and then he picks it back up. Of course we only walk around in the yard enough for him to do his business. But he is using the leg.

He is also sometimes hiking his good leg and supporting himself with his bad one. He does that at least a couple of times a day. It really scares me when he does it. Once yesterday when he did it he immediately sat down and started messing with it licking at it and then he'd get up and walk a couple of steps and immediately sit down and mess with it again. It worried me that maybe he had damaged something. But he is still using it today so I guess it is ok.

Now the bad news. - last night was another night from down under. About every 10 minutes he would stand up and shake himself all over and then lay back down. He was totally restless the entire night. He has sort of been that way every night but last night was the worst. I am starting to wonder if the Rimadyl or the Tramadol have the opposite affect on him and keeps him awake/restless. I am going to try skipping them both tonight and see if its better. I am a walking zombie at this point. Haven't had more that 4 hrs of sleep at a time since Thursday. Don't think I got that much last night.

Tonight I am putting a queen size air bed in the den, block off the sofa and loveseat with x-pens, put a baby gate across the doorway and sleep in here with the 2 dogs. I'll just give them the option to sleep on the bed with me or on their beds next to me. The air bed is only 5-6 in. high.

I know we'll get through this. I always hate posting any whiny posts when someone is going through what Claire is going through. My problems seem so trivial and I know they really are trivial in comparison. I'm continuing to pray for her, Sophie and Hank. And also for Kathleen and her husband in their recent loss.

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Good News - Bad News

Postby my2cotons » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:51 pm

PS, talked to the vet and he agreed leave off the Tramadol tonight. He says since he is using the leg it means the pain has subsided anyway and it ccould be causing the restlessness.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:56 pm

Maybe *you* should take something so you can sleep through the sound of him standing up and shaking?
I have no idea if that amount of restriction/activity is appropriate or risky. Is getting on and off 6" allowed?

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:17 pm

I remember when Charley was on Tramadol, and restless at night, the vet told me it CAN have that effect. Just like some people become agitated when drunk or stoned (not that I would know anything about that :whistle: ), some dogs become agitated on tramadol. It is often worse at night because darkness creates shadows etc., which add to the agitation. Sometimes pupil dilation is also affected, and that can exacerbate the night time problem.

I found it helped to adjust the timing of her last dosage - hours 1-3 post pill were usually calm, so if I gave her the pill too early in the evening she would be fine until just after I dozed off and then she'd be up pacing. I switched from the 100 mg slow release pill, to smaller, direct-release amounts from the compounding pharmacy, and we found that worked much better for Charley and for me.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby my2cotons » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:24 pm

Heather, you have no idea how much stuff I take at night :) I have a damaged nerve in my back so I take stuff. But my main concern is for his comfort rather than my sleep. I just want to address whatever is causing his agitation. Jean, that is good to know that you were able to make an adjustment that helped Charley at night. What you said about 1-3 hrs being calm fits too. He usually starts in about 1:00 am with the agitation. We'll just try it without any Tramadol at all tonight and see what happens.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Jean, that is *really* good information to know, thank you for sharing!!

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:20 pm

I haven't followed what you have been giving him, but wonder if melatonin would help him sleep through the night?
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:25 pm

I hope that they don't jump off and on the bed, I was worried about that here.

I hope all of you slept tonight!
Max-n-Indy

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:40 pm

This is good information to have and I wonder if this reaction is more common than we are told. Kathy, you have my sympathy on the lack of sleep. I know just what you are going through, and I hope tonight is better for you and the dogs. Cinnabon was given buprenex injectable and was really dopey to the point that I spread the timing out longer. Then with Dixie's surgery, she was sent home with similar - buprenophine in pill form, and she had the same reaction like Charley and Pistol. The first 2 days she was ok with it, mostly because she was very laid up, but then I gave her some and took her with me to my mom's where she has always been fearful of the slippery kitchen floor where she worries about being able to get out of people's way. To say that she was terrified that day would about cover it. She also had the restless & fearful reaction during the night in the dark. Nothing would calm her during either episode. We just had to wait until the effect wore off. That was the last I gave to her!

It does sound like he's really on the mend with starting to use his leg for a few steps. I think that is about what is expected for the first week. Keep up the good work and Pistol will be all healed.

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby my2cotons » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:59 am

Ahhhh! Sleep is a beautiful thing! :) We went to bed at 10:00 pm and slept until 9:15 am! I feel like I have a new lease on life. I don't think either dog ever moved. My husband came out of the bedroom and that is the only reason we woke up when we did. There was no agitation, no shaking, no pacing, nothing! Poor Pistol, I hate that he was being given a pill every night that made him scared and nervous. On the other hand, I hate to think I don't have Tramadol available for him in the future for whatever pain he might have. I wonder what is the alternative? I know you all talk about Trameel a lot. Is that a homeopathic alternative to Tramadol? I don't think he needs anything at this point but one never knows what is in the future. He was even more solid on the leg when we went out this morning. In fact he is starting to try to pull and trot. :( I'm going to try to make a sling of sorts to try to encourage him to walk. When he starts pulling, I just have to pick him up, because I can't have him putting that pressure on the leg. I think the better he feels the harder this is going to get. He already "tried" to jump up on the sofa. He was still on the leash from coming in and I grabbed him, but he was fully prepared to do it.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:03 am

Yay for sleep!!

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:14 am

Agree with Heather - YAY for sleep!!!

Will you be consulting with someone on rehab?
Laura & the Crazies:
Nick, Linc, Pia, June, and Ginger
RIP Zippy - January 11, 1994 to April 9, 2012

http://www.crooksandcrazies.blogspot.com

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby my2cotons » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:54 am

Laura, to begin with anyway, it will just be what is offered at the clinic where the surgery was done. He said we will talk about it Monday when we get the stitches removed.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:52 am

This sounds like good progress, glad to hear!

I know everal dogs on the GSD forum reacted weirdly to Tramadol.
Max-n-Indy

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:14 pm

Freddy gets really dopey on Tramadol. My vet prescribed Tussigon instead. I'm sure there are other rx pain med options for you. Glad they slept peacefully!

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”