3rd Night definitely NOT a charm. :(

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

3rd Night definitely NOT a charm. :(

Postby my2cotons » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:21 am

Last night was terrible. Pistol absolutely would not stay in the crate. It was all I could do to get him in there and get the door shut to begin with. He cried and whined and pawed at the door constantly. I finally caved. I let him out on the bed next to me with a leash attached to him that was also attached to the crate. (he wears a harness- not a collar). But with the cone around his neck and the leash he was constantly in a mess. I spent the whole night keeping him untangled. I know, I know - he just needs to be in the crate.

Why does he do so well during the day in the x-pen and is so adverse to the crate? Actually, I guess I know why - he is right next to the bed where he is use to being able to get on when he feels like it and he can see me. Although he can see me during the day when I'm in the den and he doesn't have a problem with that. I don't know what to do. I wanted to get them both crate trained at night before the surgery, but then we decided to go ahead with it rather than waiting any longer, so now here I am. Maybe tonight me and the dogs sleep in the den. Me on the couch and them closed in their crates. Of course none of us will actually sleep the first night of it, but...... I just kind of hate putting Pistol through that stress right now. He'll not only want out himself, but he will have to listen to Pappy howl. Sigh.....

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Re: 3rd Night definitely NOT a charm. :(

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:21 am

Have you tried putting them in their crates or xpens in another room all by themselves? Preferably far enough away that you won't hear them too much? I know Eddie will whine and scratch at the crate door if I crate him in my room, but if I put him in his crate in the mudroom with the mudroom door shut, there's not a peep - he just goes to sleep. Out of sight, out of mind - or maybe he just thinks I have gone out so fussing won't do any good.
Remember, every time you cave you are reinforcing the behaviour and sporadic reinforcement is the most effective kind! :grin:
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:47 am

Earplugs?

I would say that walking on a soft bed would be much harder than walking on a firm surface with Pistol's leg that needs to heal. I wouldn't want him on the bed for a variety of reasons. Would he be less fussy in the x-pen?

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:42 am

Eek don't cave, the fussing will stop and you'll all get better sleep when he learns to sleep in his crate and/or pen. I wouldn't risk the injury. Be strong, you can do it!

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby my2cotons » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:33 am

I hear ya Heather. And I want to do that - I'm just not sure now is the time. I mean, I figure this whole surgery/recovery is stressful for him and wondering if now is the time to add additional stress. I know it would take several nights of him fussing and not only that, he will be listening to Pappy fussing in his crate too - or more likely howling. Ideally the crate training would have been done prior to surgery, but since it wasn't, I'm inclined to find another solution until he at least gets past the initial healing. I may even just put my blow up bed on the floor in the den and sleep in there with him for a while. :confused:
Judy, there's not really room for x-pen in our bedroom and leaving him in the den alone, would definitely not be better - or not in his opinion, anyway.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:08 pm

Can you do x-pens at night or is that too much space? So sorry it's not going as smoothly as you'd hoped for him. Good thoughts that he settles down soon.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby my2cotons » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:32 pm

Ashley, I can't do the x-pens in the bedroom at night. We just don't have room, but I can do it if I sleep in the den with them (and that may be what I end up doing). We'll get this figured out and we'll make it through. Then once Pistol gets past the worst of this, we will work on the bedtime crate training. Thanks for the good thoughts. :)

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:58 am

I remember a few folks on the CM Group slept on sofas near their dogs' bedding, in order to calm them during the night. Some put cushions on the floor for themselves!
Maybe you can start out on the sofa and once Pistol settles down and sleeps you can sneak back to bed.
You'll think of something.

I used to X-pen Sophie and Rudi together so Rudi wouldn't feel he was being treated differently. But if Pappy would want to play, that won't be good.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:18 am

Just figure out a way to make the recovery successful so that this surgery wasn't done for nothing, because that is what is at stake.

I've been sleeping on the floor for the last 11 nights to ensure my girl doesn't jump, and have all the furniture xpenned so she's not tempted. Because of her separation anxiety, I can't put her in a crate or xpen right now, but you have to do what it takes to get them healed so they won't hurt themselves and compromise the procedure.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby my2cotons » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:06 pm

Lisa, x-penning the furniture is what we were doing before the surgery. It worked great to prevent jumping on the furniture, but it didn't prevent him racing to the back door if he saw something or heard something. I was dreading putting him in the x-pen during the day because I thought he would have a fit. Unbelievably, he hasn't. He seems perfectly content in there during the day. Of course it is here in the den where he can see us and see outside, so he's happy and it also protects him from his bratty little brother.

Believe me I know that the success of the surgery is at stake. I am being careful to the point of paranoid. He is either on a leash attached to me or in his pen during the day. At night he is on a short leash attached to the bottom of his crate. He has enough leash to get out and lay right next to me on the bed or go back into his crate and that's as far as he can go. It's just a matter of ME being able to sleep. I'll give this arrangement another night or two. If I am still "sleepless in Oklahoma", I will put an air mattress in here in the den and sleep in his x-pen with him.

On a good note - when we were out earlier, he started walking on all 4's. :) Not exclusively, but several steps at a time. Of course, then a guy had to walk past just outside our fence. He tried to bolt and run when he saw him. His leash was short and I had a good hold of it, but it still aggravated me because, he tried to push off with both back legs. :( I don't think he did any damage, but then I don't know how I would know for sure. It's just that sort of thing that just seems unavoidable no matter how careful you are.

What did I miss with with your girl? I don't remember seeing anything about an injury.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:24 pm

What did I miss with with your girl? I don't remember seeing anything about an injury.
Oh sorry, I didn't mean to be whiny, but I am a bit grumpy over here. Jazz has just been battling with hernias, and it's no fun!

I see your new thread here:
http://www.ourdogsonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28909
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”