Brace

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Brace

Postby my2cotons » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:51 pm

Ordered Pistol's A-TraC brace this morning. It will be here Friday. Hoping he accepts it without too much trouble and it helps him.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Brace

Postby SherriA » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Good luck!

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:29 pm

Did Pistol's brace come today? How's it going?
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby my2cotons » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:04 pm

Yes it got here today. The jury is still out. We spent an hour figuring it out and getting it on him for the first time. Not a success right off the bat. He was holding the leg almost straight out to the side. I finally figured out that it was twisted a little to the outside instead of pointing forward like it should. Also, didn't have it pulled up far enough. The bottom of it was coming down over his "ankle" joint. No wonder he couldn't walk on it. Anyway, I took it all off and we are going to try again in the morning. Bless his heart - he was so good and patient through all of it. But once I took it all off, he wasn't keen on starting over, so I decided to leave him alone tonight and try in the morning.

mraleigh01
Regular

Postby mraleigh01 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:16 am

Any news???

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:59 pm

I was wondering how it's going too.

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:23 pm

Hope I'm not talking out of school, but the last I heard on the Yahoo Conservative Management Group, the original brace was too long and was being replaced by an extra small size. Not sure how they are making out with that one.

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby my2cotons » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:55 pm

Yes the first one was too long, then we they sent the smaller one they only sent half of it. - ARGH! Finally today we got the rest of it and he is wearing it now. It does fit better, but I still am struggling to know if I have it adjusted right. It seems like every time he sits down and gets up it changes positions. Of course, I am such a stickler that my dogs should never be the slightest bit uncomfortable - I know I am obsessing needlessly. I can't bring myself to make him sleep in it, so we will take it off for bedtime and put it back on in the morning. He walks in it although he sometimes picks it up and sticks it out to the side. I am going to give it a fair chance.

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby my2cotons » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:49 pm

Well, I messed with the brace a while longer and finally think we are on the right track. Tightened it in places - loosened it in other places. He's walking pretty much normally in it now. He was walking on all 4's before but with a very heavy limp. Now I can barely notice the limp. I am feeling much better. I feel like he is fairly comfortable in it, though I know he would rather have it off. One thing - he looks so funny when he pees. He holds the leg out almost straight out and angled backwards. Looks hilarious. Anyway, I am breathing a sigh of relief at this point.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:22 pm

Glad to hear this Kathy! I hope this is just what he needs to keep it stable enough to heal on it's own.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Sounds like you are on the right track now. The brace will allow him to continue to use the leg so that he doesn't put more strain on the other leg to compensate and risk injuring it too.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”