Raw femur bone question

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Jodi
Yes, I do have a life!

Raw femur bone question

Postby Jodi » Tue May 03, 2005 11:28 am

Dan went doggie shopping last night after Desi's obedience class and came home with two raw beef femur bones, maybe about 8" long. I have never given these to my pups before so I have two questions...

- How long should I let them chew on them before I have to re-refridgerate them?

- How much bone will they actual eat?

Thanks!

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Re: Raw femur bone question

Postby Sabine » Tue May 03, 2005 3:12 pm

let them chew half an hour to an hour the first day, so they can get used to consuming bone matrix.

8 inches isn't all that long, so i assume the knuckle joints on each end are cut off already, so that you basically have a tube with marrow in it?

if so, scoop out some of the marrow on both ends so they don't get it all, it's mostly fat and likely to cause diarrhea if they aren't used to it.

if it is indeed just the midle part of the femur, i would avoid this kind of bone in the future, since it's the hardest part of a weight bearing bone and can break teeth. if you can, get whole femur bones, with the knuckles still attached and let them have them until the knuckles are chewed off.

i'll post a pic for clarification later.

Jodi
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Jodi » Tue May 03, 2005 3:51 pm

that makes perfect sense - I usually buy just the end part, but Dan picked these out because they are bigger.

It would be great if we could have a section that had pics for reference....

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Tue May 03, 2005 3:55 pm

the end part is the better choice actually, since it's not as hard.

i'll look into the images thing, we can put that on the main site.

Panda
Quite involved

Postby Panda » Tue May 03, 2005 3:58 pm

It really depends on the individual dog, too. Big is a wimpy chewer and so I give him femurs quite often because he doesn't work it hard enough to break a tooth and they last him forever. MK on the hand doesn't get them because she is just determined to destroy it.

The other thing is, if you can find them, lamb or deer femurs. These work out really well for us because they are softer than cow femurs. Lamb especially is very soft. I like the femur shape...it just seems convenient and easier to store since it's not this huge chunk or whatever. And with the lamb or deer it is soft enough that breaking teeth isn't much of a concern.

If you think you might be interested, I have a couple of sources for lamb and deer bones that I'd be happy to pass along.

Brenda
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Brenda » Tue May 03, 2005 5:19 pm

I love lamb bones - even my min pins can eat the knuckle bones - but they're scarce around here

Jodi
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Jodi » Tue May 03, 2005 6:30 pm

Teagan - I would love the source for the lamb and deer. I can get deer during season from my dad's best friend, but the lamb would be fabulous.

I am slowly going to swtich my dogs over to all raw after I do some more reading, so any book suggestions would be welcome too!

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Tue May 03, 2005 6:42 pm

yep, deer and lamb femurs are great. even pork femurs are much softer. also veal if you can get it.

it's just the bigger animals like cattle, bison etc., which are very heavy, that have very hard bones. all that weight does compress the bone matrix quite a bit. age matters as well, of course.

Panda
Quite involved

Postby Panda » Tue May 03, 2005 7:23 pm

I get most of my bones from A Place for Paws. They carry lamb femurs year round and last year had deer bones when in season. I order through a co-op sort of group and Peter delivers right to my doorstep. I know Peter delivers in both Michigan and Wisconsin, so I assume that he would also deliver in the Chicago area but I don't know that for a fact. He also delivers Aunt Jeni's, Hare Today, Three Cheers Raw Raw Raw and his own products from Taylor Pond Farm. I will PM you his email if you would like to contact him and see if he delivers in the Chicago area.

Oma's Pride also sells lamb femurs (shanks) and mixed lamb bones. I love Oma's products but I can't beat having Peter deliver stuff right to my door. But if you have a convenient source for Oma's that would be another good option.

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Wed May 04, 2005 4:47 pm

Both the girls do great with the femur bones; they last for ages around here. I get the butcher to cut them into 3-5 inch segments, and sometimes to cut them lengthwise so that the marrow is easier to get out. Abby absolutely adores a femur bone; it's probably her favorite treat. Matter of fact, she's laying here gnawing on one as I type!

To be honest, I usually don't re-refrigerate them here. After one "sitting" all the outside meat is completely gone, and all that's left is the marrow, which they will work on over a few days. The bones don't seem to go bad, and Pepper enjoys picking them up and starting keepaway games with them. When I get a few too many underfoot, I just toss them all and start over.

Mary

Postby Mary » Wed May 04, 2005 6:53 pm

We feed femur bones and they really don't destroy them. Only teeny chips of the end but never anything large. They mostly just lick them and once the marrow is gone they leave them alone for the most part.

We had whole knuckles at one point that they loved but couldn't get anymore. I just found some elsewhere so hopefully they'll like these as much (they'd better, I ordered a 40# case)

All three of them 33, 39 and 60 # dogs have no problem chewing through beef necks. They are powerful chewers.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”