I wish I'd known this all along

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
sammy
No, I don't have a life!

I wish I'd known this all along

Postby sammy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:14 pm

I switched Sammy from white rice to oatmeal and he's LOVING it. No more turning away from his food, no more taking all day to consume one measly bowl full.

He's also just generally feeling much better. He went to the vet last week and got a chiropractic adjustment (or rather many chiro adjustments), accupuncture and some Chinese herbs. A few years ago I would have been very sceptical but boy does it help him. Almost instantly he's a different dog. I'm not sure which part was the most helpful, but he's now harassing me for food and chowing down his whole bowl. I don't hear his stomach growling and have a sick dog if he misses a pill. He's much more playful and energetic too. All things that I wasn't seeing with just the standard meds and home prepared diet. Whooot! I'm just happy to have him feeling good.

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Re: I wish I'd known this all along

Postby EllaBella » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:30 pm

Oh yay!!!!! So glad to hear that he's feeling better!

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:23 pm

That's awesome! So cooked oatmeal? Warm or do you cook a batch and refrigerate and serve cold? (always looking for adds for Pofi the fussy boy)

kelpies4me

Postby kelpies4me » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:28 am

When my Boxer had bad stomach issues, the home cooked diet I received from him included oatmeal... I wish I had remembered that for you. Good that he's on his way back to health!

Colleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Colleen » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:01 am

I never thought to mention Oats to you either. Our dogs get oats every few mornings and Cassie daily. She gets rice as well every few days with gluten free pasta but she prefers her oats. Also my Sister read somewhere, probably in my book herbs for pets book that oats are great for paralyses. Cassie has paralyzed esophagus flaps.

We pick up big bags of organic oats and just cook on a as needed basis. I don't freeze oats once cooked etc as they take no time to cook and they cool down pretty quick.

Good luck with Sammy :) Glad to see he is enjoying his oats, sowing his wild oats lol

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:03 am

Yay! I'm glad you found something for him to eat and that he's feeling better.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:38 am

I'm so glad you found something fussy Sammy likes! Its soooo frustrating having a picky eater, especially when you need to combine food with meds. How nice for everyone at your house to have the old happy, energetic Sammy back. :)

luvarescue
No, I don't have a life!

Postby luvarescue » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:15 am

I'm glad you found something that works well for Sammy.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:32 am

[quote=sammy]I switched Sammy from white rice to oatmeal and he's LOVING it. No more turning away from his food, no more taking all day to consume one measly bowl full.

He's also just generally feeling much better. He went to the vet last week and got a chiropractic adjustment (or rather many chiro adjustments), accupuncture and some Chinese herbs. A few years ago I would have been very sceptical but boy does it help him. Almost instantly he's a different dog. I'm not sure which part was the most helpful, but he's now harassing me for food and chowing down his whole bowl. I don't hear his stomach growling and have a sick dog if he misses a pill. He's much more playful and energetic too. All things that I wasn't seeing with just the standard meds and home prepared diet. Whooot! I'm just happy to have him feeling good.
[/quote]

Yay! :thumbup:

I will never underestimate the benefits of chiropractic for general wellness -- not since Sander's chiro explained to me how the adjustments were helping Sander by allowing his body to access the supplements and nutrients in his diet more effectively, which makes total sense to me. As for Chinese herbs, I've recently started using two combos and my asthma is WAY better. I'm just saying. :)

I feed oatmeal once a week as a no-meat meal to my dogs, they have always loved oats and done well with them in the diet.

BeccaIFBC
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby BeccaIFBC » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:48 am

I love oatmeal versus white rice for the fiber for my working dogs. They are Scottish dogs so it makes sense that they do well on it, right? ;)

Gus doesn't do all that well on it so I've switch him the other way, to rice, and have had good results. When he gets his turn with Mordanna I want to do more of a Ben-type diet for him though - he did best when he was on Core - meat and potatoes. I've figured out a big key with him is a daily dose of probiotic, though.

Cord does great on any grain, though corn is best for him for some reason (go figure), but as I've been so busy lately I've thrown him in with the rice crowd. As long as the rice is absolutely mushy he does fine.

I adore home prepared diets because it feeds the inner fiddler in me. The recipes give me an anchor and then I can move around that as much as I want. Or pull up and find another place to be, as when I switch an ingredient entirely.

I made a diet for Janet my foster dog, and added her in with the home crowd last night for the first time. She's still not sure it's food. :p
Becca Shouse
Irena Farm, Pinnacle, NC

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:12 pm

I've recently started adding organic oatbran to Charley's food (actually, to all the dogs' food) and that seems to have helped her a lot with her sensitive tummy and loose poops.

I've had a bag of oatmeal sitting in my cupboard for a couple of months now, meaning to give some to the piggies on cold mornings, but somehow I never do......cooking anything first thing in the morning just isn't my style, let alone oatmeal. I must do something wrong - everyone says oatmeal is so easy. Mine boils over, burns, needs constant stirring so I can't do anything else, is either too watery or not watery enough, and the pots are a pain to clean.

So instead I just sprinkle a generous tablespoon of oatbran (less for the smaller dogs) on the kibble, add warm water and their other supplements, and feed. They love it. And it tastes good on my fruit and yoghurt breakfast, too.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:25 pm

Jean, have you tried crockpotting the oatmeal? I don't do it, but I know people who set it to cook the night before and its ready when you get up.

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Postby EllaBella » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:33 pm

[quote=SherriA]Jean, have you tried crockpotting the oatmeal? I don't do it, but I know people who set it to cook the night before and its ready when you get up. [/quote]

That is now the *only* way I cook oatmeal!!! Especially the steel cut, for myself.

For regular oatmeal--1 cup oats to 2-2.5 cups water (depending on how thick or watery you like it), for 6-8 hours on low, is perfect. Steel cut is 1 cup oats to 4 cups water, 8 hours on low. The times are pretty flexible too.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:47 pm

[quote=PofiMia]That's awesome! So cooked oatmeal? Warm or do you cook a batch and refrigerate and serve cold? (always looking for adds for Pofi the fussy boy) [/quote]

Well right now he's getting oatmeal packets so all I have to do is add boiling water. :crazy: Eventually I'll try it in my rice cooker, but I already had the instant oats on hand and I figured they be closer to white rice and a good transitional step before going onto whole regular oatmeal.

LoverOfDogs18
Quite involved

Postby LoverOfDogs18 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:42 pm

I'm so glad he's doing well on it! I switched my guys to oatmeal a while back and have been very pleased with the results. I know for myself, if I eat a bowl in the morning, I'm not hungry 'til noon or later. It seems to have longer staying power.

I also cook my slow cook oats in a rice cooker. Works great for me and it cooks while I'm showering, perfect time saver!

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”