Healthwise active

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Healthwise active

Postby Kathleen » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:16 am

I switched Brenna from the Eagle pack to this for weight gain at the suggestion of some people on the board. I think Eagle pack is a great food but the only place I can get it locally also sells live animals and I would rather not go there. I can order it online but honestly with the amounts I go through I'm not organized to stay that much ahead.
I am mixing it with Honest Kitchen Keen but I am really really happy with the results so far. Brenna is keeping weight on (ask Tervulocity:) ) and she doesn't act ravenously hungry. I know Healthwise is Natura's lower end food, but I can't find anything comparable in the Innova or California Natural lines. Evo is higher protein and slightly higher fat but it doesn't agree with the dogs like this food seems to.
I just wanted to share. Those of you with several performance dogs who are looking for a nice decently priced kibble might want to look into this. Also thanks to those who suggested it.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Healthwise active

Postby sammy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:59 am

I'm glad you've found something that works for her.:)
I've had good experiences with Healthwise in the past, both my dogs seem to like it and you sure can't beat the price.

Tervulocity
Just popping in

Postby Tervulocity » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:51 am

Yep, it's the truth about Brenna:)

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:11 am

Thanks for posting this. I've had R&S on Orijen, mixed with Sojos and Wellness can, but the cost is getting out of hand for me right now and I think when I run out, I'm going to switch them to Healthwise Adult with the Wellness. Sophie can use plumping up and maybe this will help her ribs AND my pocketbook!

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PaulaS » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:55 am

Funny you mention this. I just bought mine their second bag of Healthwise Active. I had been feeding Prairie, but after *another* price increase in that, my friend who owns the store said to give Healthwise a try. My three all like it, but I just noticed that Alex and Lilly might've gained a little bit. I know it's slighty higher calories than the Prairie, but I was suprised by that.

Then again, I just gave them a bath and maybe they're fluffier! I can't have no chubby dogs... :lol:
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex and Will

luvarescue
No, I don't have a life!

Postby luvarescue » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:13 pm

Mine have been eating either the regular Healthwise or Prairie. I haven't tried the Healthwise Active yet. It seems when I go higher in protein my dogs start drinking a lot more water.

Did anyone else notice an increase in water consumption when increasing protein? It kind of scares me- I'm always worried about kidney issues...

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:51 pm

Healthwise is a very nice line of foods - I wish it was more widely available.

[quote=luvarescue]Did anyone else notice an increase in water consumption when increasing protein? It kind of scares me- I'm always worried about kidney issues...[/quote]

It's perfectly normal - the liver needs water to process protein and as a medium to carry waste products to the kidneys. The more protein is being processed, the more water is needed, and dogs eating dry food don't always compensate sufficiently. Compare the protein content and lack of moisture in dry food to protein in its natural form: fresh meat with a moisture content between around 55 to 75 percent. This is why I recommend that if people choose to feed kibble, don't feed it dry.

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PaulaS » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:18 pm

[quote=Mordanna] This is why I recommend that if people choose to feed kibble, don't feed it dry. [/quote]

Yep. I always add water to the bowls of kibble.

Marci-check here, purple bag:

http://www.naturapet.com/brands/healthwise.asp
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex and Will

mom2kali
Getting to know you

Postby mom2kali » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:29 pm

i read some things saying that healthwise doesn't have enough meat in it. what do you all think of that? i'm new to the healthy dog feeding. i was feeding canidae until the new formula. then i switched to innova, which kali and i both love. but it's getting to be too expensive. i love the natura company, but just have some concern with the meat content of healthwise. thank you for you help!

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:59 pm

Healthwise does have less meat than the other Natura brands, that is true. It's the reason why it is less expensive.

However "not enough" is highly debatable. If you look at most mainstream brands, they contain even less, and worse quality to boot.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:43 pm

I tend to add protein toppers to kibble anyway, like egg, canned fish, left overs, canned dog food......

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:05 pm

I'm mixing it, but I was having trouble getting Brenna to eat enough calories. Some of the high fat high protien foods I tried gave her loose stools and gas, which wasn't helping the situation. Eagle pack has a high calorie food that she didn't have trouble with, but is difficult to get here. The Healthwise has worked out very well for us. It is also nice to have kibble on hand for nghts when I work late and DH has to feed.

luvarescue
No, I don't have a life!

Postby luvarescue » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:21 am

Thanks for explaining that to me, Mordanna.

Actually, I thought I fed the regular Healthwise, but I feed the puppy formula (I like the slightly higher protein). The active only has 2% more protein- I'll have to check the price difference and see if its worth switching.

BeccaIFBC
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby BeccaIFBC » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:25 am

My question is not how much meat, but whether it's good quality. And ditto on the other ingredients, particularly the major ones. Starchy carbs are actually a good thing for some of my dogs as they are, in general, energy dense. The carbs, not the dogs. Though sometimes I do think so. ;)
Becca Shouse
Irena Farm, Pinnacle, NC

luvarescue
No, I don't have a life!

Postby luvarescue » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:31 am

Cool- the active is only $2 more than the puppy for the 35 pound bag at petfooddirect.com. I think I may give it a try on my next order.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:30 pm

I think that Healthwise is a good alternative for many dogs. I'm glad it seems to be working!
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:28 am

Before I switched to Healthwise, I got an incentive coupon from Nature's Variety online and I shopped locally for two small bags of Praire which I am mixing now with my remaining Orijen. Such tiny kibble compared to others, not that my dogs or I care.

Today I'm off to a store in Princeton because I have a 20% coupon to use there. It's loaded with wonderful pet foods and I wish it were around the corner from me. A bonus is it's in a strip mall that also has a terrific vegetarian restaurant (Zen Palate) and a lovely wholesome food market. Any 20% I save in one store I blow in the others! LOL

I plan on picking up the Healthwise today and will let you know how it sits with my two. I started feeding Sophie half as much MORE than I feed Rudi and hope to plump up her bony ribs by the time they go to the vet the end of next month.

Hope this does it.

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:00 am

I'm still using it and I'm happy with the results. I'm mixing it with HK for Brenna, Angel and Skye, my hard keepers. Nice that Angel is in that catagory now considering how overweight she was when whe came here. Quinn, Echo and Scarlett are getting just HK since they keep weight on pretty easily. I also give all of them Chicken necks and backs 3 or 4 evenings a week to up the fat for coat and keep their teeth clean.

luvarescue
No, I don't have a life!

Postby luvarescue » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:08 am

I'm on my second bag. I like it so far- all of mine are doing well on it.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”