Cheaper dog food fail :(

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
kelpies4me

Cheaper dog food fail :(

Postby kelpies4me » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:41 am

I have been feeding a brand called "Professional" to my girls for, oh, about 2 bags now (35 lbs). I have noticed recently, that all of their coats look just terrible. Lucy specifically-I can pull clumps out (she is short coated) and it feels a bit greasy. I have gone ahead and gotten some good quality grain free food, which they always did very well on, but it is pricey. What do you all think about me mixing some of this other food, like 1/3 into this grain free food, just to make it last longer?

BeccaIFBC
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Cheaper dog food fail :(

Postby BeccaIFBC » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:14 am

My guard dogs have been eating half Diamond and half homecooked stuff for a while now (except Lu) and I've noticed a really big change in them, recently, too. Ted was on the same food while he was in training and I noticed terrible breath, gunked up teeth, greasy coat, in him too, though his weight and muscle tone were terrific.

I wonder if it is not so much just general cheapness as something bad that is actually IN the food - so cutting it into a super premium wouldn't raise the quality of the cheaper food, it would taint the super premium - like what's happening with my homecooked/raw with Tully and Min.

Sigh. I guess they are next - I'll probably ask Mordanna to do a single recipe for them since they do eat the same.
Becca Shouse
Irena Farm, Pinnacle, NC

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:05 am

This is already the topic in another thread, but what about trying Healthwise? A low priced food, but made by a reputable company (naturapet). www.naturapet.com

My dogs have done well on it and Kathleen was saying Brenna's doing well on Healthwise active...

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:28 am

[quote=BeccaIFBC]
I wonder if it is not so much just general cheapness as something bad that is actually IN the food - so cutting it into a super premium wouldn't raise the quality of the cheaper food, it would taint the super premium . [/quote]

I thought that too. I think that a food that produces such BAD conditions wouldn't be worth keeping, even to stretch out more expensive food. I'd rather use cooked veggies, I think, to stretch the better food. JMO. :)

As for the lousy food, I hear that squirrels are suffering from a shortage of acorns this year. Maybe the food could be donated to squirrels. :lick:

kelpies4me

Postby kelpies4me » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:18 am

I would really love to know what about the cheaper foods causes, specifically poor hair coats, when say the fat/protein levels are the same as a premium. Jeez, I can't imagine what the coats of people feeding things like Pedigree look like... I agree, after further thought, I won't taint the good with the bad, and maybe look into adding fresh foods (that I eat) to supplement. You know, like eggs, yogurt lean meats, that sort of thing. In a way, it's good to see the effects of cheaper food. It keeps us "honest" as to whether our food is working or not. Ah the joys of having one dog. Imagine that? I could have a chef make his/her food!

Tatyana
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Tatyana » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:36 pm

That really blows the "dogs need nutrients, not ingredients" argument out of the water. Some vets just love to use it. I mean its a little absurd to begin with anyway.

Otherwise i don't have any advice. But i agree, its interesting to see and note how different foods can affect dogs so differently.

kelpies4me

Postby kelpies4me » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:25 am

Jeez. The dog's coats are already starting to get better (greasy feel is going). Pretty clear that this other food was just garbage.

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:33 am

Just out of curiosity did the food have fish in it? Skye is single coated and I notice on her very quickly if a food has fish because her coat will get greasy and she stinks!

Nano
Just popping in

Postby Nano » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:20 am

What grain-free kibble are you feeding them? I find Acana to be very good for price, as well as quality (although I know it can be quite hard to find).

kelpies4me

Postby kelpies4me » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:05 am

It's Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream (the grain free). The other food, no, no fish that I know of. Dogs continue to improve. The other varieties of TOW are a bit high in protein and fat for my dogs, but this variety they do very well on.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”