Goopy eyes - is this a problem?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Liz
Quite involved

Goopy eyes - is this a problem?

Postby Liz » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:01 pm

So last week I had an exploding dog, and now Lenny is suddenly leaking. I came home today to see crusty gunk around his eyes and eyelashes, and some greenish oozy stuff coming out of his right eye. Is this a sign of something to be worried about?

I haven't changed his diet, haven't been leaving them outside to be exposed to random crap, and his activity level is good.

:confused: My guys are all broken all of a sudden...

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Goopy eyes - is this a problem?

Postby SherriA » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:03 pm

Greenish anything always worries me, makes me concerned about infection. My guys get runny eyes in the wind or when the weather is cold, but its always clear. I'd probably take him to the vet if it doesn't clear up pretty quickly.

I hope its nothing and Lenny is just listening to sad songs on the radio while you're not around!

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:29 pm

I would treat it. I use over the counter human eye ointment. My vet said that was fine. It cleared up in a few days. If it doesn't get better quick or there's any chance there's a foreign body in there, or you're concerned you could take him in there.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:16 am

Green gunk requires treatment. Sometimes if you catch it early enough, eye wash or artificial tears can clear it up. But if it doesn't start helping within a day, with continued improvement and complete resolution, you'll need to see the vet for eye meds. My Indy used to get this from running through tall grass.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

Liz
Quite involved

Postby Liz » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:38 am

Ok, I washed his eye with warm water and a washcloth. (He's thrilled with me now.) And I have some Murine tears, as well as some anti bacterial eye drops. Should I do the anti bacterial one? He has a small eyeball, so I'm thinking just one drop?

Ack! I hope I catch this early - I haven't found a vet here yet that I like...

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:29 am

I'd go for it.
My ped told me to clean Griffin eyes with a wash cloth with some 'no tears' baby shampoo when he had a blocked tear duct. That worked too.

Liz
Quite involved

Postby Liz » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:54 pm

Well I ended up putting one drop in his eye last night and another one this morning. I'll do another dose when I get home from work tonight. It seemed a little better this morning and didn't seem as oozy. I washed his eye again and even gave him a bath, thinking maybe there was a local irritation I didn't see. If it's not better by Monday I'm calling a vet. :(

Poor guy, and he was so good about mommy flipping him over and prodding his eye, too!

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”