The cause of the poopy problem - scary!

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

The cause of the poopy problem - scary!

Postby emmas_mom » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:51 am

A couple of weeks back, I posted regarding Charley's poopy problems - terrible runs, straining, suddenly urgently needing out in the middle of the night,etc. Every time I got the problem cleared up, she'd be fine for a couple of days and then it would happen again.

I think I have found the cause - and it is scary.

A woman from down the street phoned me a few days ago - she caught someone trespassing on her property feeding something to her dogs, and later that night her smallest dog had a seizure. The dog survived, but when the woman started talking to neighbours about it, several reported a man routinely walking around our neighbourhood feeding something to all the dogs.

Someone confronted him (he is not known to us, and this is a rural area where everyone knows everyone), and he claimed he just likes dogs and "wants to get to know them". He was very scruffy and was vague about where he lived. He has also been trying to find out all the dogs names.

My dogs are never left outside when I'm away from the house, but Charley likes to spend time in the yard when I am home. Usually, the other three dogs prefer to be in the house underfoot, though occasionally Oliver will hang out outside with Charley - and Oliver is the only other one of my crew who got the runs recently.

Yesterday, I caught the guy about to give Charley something. I called out to him (politely) to stop, and he was really rude to me but did walk away. Then he trespassed on the neighbour's property and started feeding their dogs. I grabbed my camera and got pictures of him using my zoom, but we couldn't get the police to come. They just told us to keep our dogs inside. :madgo:

Charley is my sensitive-tummy dog. I'm guessing that he has been feeding her regularly (apparently he has been up to this for over a month now - someone spotted him several times in December) and each time, it gives her the poops.

I'm concerned that this person is working up to either befriending dogs sufficiently that he can break into houses without them barking, or getting them to anticipate treats so he can slip them something to knock them out while he burglarizes the place. In fact, with the little dog's seizure, and both Oliver and Charley getting sick, I wonder if the biscuits are already tainted, maybe just from being outdated/moldy or maybe he is using low doses of some poison to deliberately harm the dogs.

Needless to say, Charley is no longer allowed to hang out in the yard unless I'm out there with her. She is not a happy camper, but it will be interesting to see if she has any recurrences of the poops now that he has no access to her.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Re: The cause of the poopy problem - scary!

Postby EllaBella » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:59 am

OMG!!!! That is absolutely horrible. Really not okay that the police refuse to do anything---isn't this tresspassing? Can't they arrest/fine him for that?

I'm so glad the dog that had the seizure is ok, and hopefully this will be the end of Charley's pooping problems (and hanging out in the yard).

Scary indeed!

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:01 pm

How scary! I can't believe the police won't do anything about it, even with photos of him trespassing and dogs getting sick. I'm really glad neither Charley nor Oliver was more seriously sick from whatever he was feeding them.

Wow Jean, be careful!

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:08 pm

Yikes! That is really scary and horrible that the police won't do anything about it. I hope you can convince them to come out and at least scare the guy away.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:15 pm

Holy CRAP! That is insane!!!! Is it one of those things that if you put up a "no trespassing" sign, THEN get a trespasser, you can bust him with the cops? I'm not 100% sure but I remember hearing this is true here--that you simply have to declare it no trespassing zone to disallow trespassing. I think in places like Texas, you can actually use "deadly force" for trespassing. Ahahahaha!

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:38 pm

That is freaky scary. It does sound like he's trying to get the dogs not to guard against him. I'm with Nana, big NO TRESPASSING signs would be a good idea. I can't believe the police were so flippant about it. Definitely be careful and watchful!

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:17 pm

That is really scary. Hopefully, that's the end of Charley's poopy problems.

Now, for this scruffy guy, I can't believe the police did nothing. They should be interested in your report, especially since he's been spotted multiple times by several of you, and animals are getting sick. You make a great point about the burglary motive, so why don't the police get it? They should at least find out who he is and where he comes from.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:33 pm

That's awful and I would have come unglued too...I never let strangers feed my dogs anything - too many crazies...I am so glad you got a picture of the creep. I hope he doesn't have plans to do something awful. If he goes on someone's property, that's trespassing....surely they can nail him for that.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:05 pm

that is super scary.

BeccaIFBC
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby BeccaIFBC » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:38 pm

Reaching over a fence is trespassing. The police should have come. That's just insane.
Becca Shouse
Irena Farm, Pinnacle, NC

Aubergine
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Aubergine » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:38 pm

Holy crap! :disturbed: Is Mission under the RCMP? There was a scare in the summer, I believe, about poisoned sticks in a Burnaby park, and the RCMP definitely put out an alert for that. Maybe you and neighbours could call or visit en masse...? I would keep trying until something is done. Good work with the camera.

I hope that Charley's feeling better soon.

Tatyana
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Tatyana » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Holy crap that's scary!

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:34 pm

That's horrible!! It's amazing what police won't handle. Makes you wonder just what they do sometimes. :madgo:

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:04 am

Very scary. I agree with everyone, he's trespassing and the police should have come. Next time leave the dogs out of it when you call - someone keeps coming onto your property and I bet they come. Unfortunate but probably true. I hope everyone stays safe.

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:15 am

Sad situation all around. I guess the police were too busy munching on their own cookies to come to your aid. Write a letter to the local newspaper alerting people to the guy's technique so they have warning. If he moves from your neighborhood, he'll hit another. I wonder about his motives, though. Seems to me that someone who has been spotted wouldn't just move to another yard close by if he had burgularly motives. Maybe he just thinks he's being nice by giving cookies to dogs and has bought his crappy stuff from a Dollar Store.
Hope nobody else gets sick and hope everyone stays safe.

Jeano
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Jeano » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:47 am

There are too many unknowns in this situation for comfort. I think calling TV stations and trying to get the newspaper to write an article is a great idea. Plus you have pictures of him! What about Animal Control officers? Call your local shelter and see what they have to say. They may even know more about the guy if people have complained.

Keep up bugging the police, and whoever else, so that you can find out what this guy is up to. I think the burglary motive is transparent. Just because you've seen him do it, doesn't mean he'd come to the house when you were home to see him break in!

He could also be keeping track of when everyone is home...or, he could be harmless except for giving out bad treats. Whatever it is, you and your neighbors need to know and get this guy straightened out, one way or another!

luvarescue
No, I don't have a life!

Postby luvarescue » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:22 am

Geez- that is really scary!

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:17 am

One of the other neighbours talked with the police, and they said they would have come but had another more urgent call. However, we could call back if we see him again.
I haven't seen him since, but the last three days Sadie became very, very ill with massive diarrhea. (She's on the road to recovery now, thank goodness). Since she is never in the yard without me (she's one of the velcro dogs), the only way she would have picked up anything toxic is if he had tossed it in the yard when I wasn't around and she found it later on. Or perhaps I'm completely wrong and the dogs have been passing some sort of virus around.

He was confronted by two people in our neighbourhood within a couple of days, and we haven't seen him since.

My Sadie, who (with my help) writes a regular column for a local online paper, has told the story in this week's column, so hopefully that will alert others in the community. Thanks for the suggestion.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

LoverOfDogs18
Quite involved

Postby LoverOfDogs18 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:03 pm

Trespassing only occurs (in most US states) where there's a sign or you've notified the culprit in writing, by certified mail, they are not to come on your property. If he's a vagrant, that could be hard to do, so definitely post several big a$$ signs. I don't know if this is a trend everywhere, but stealing dogs is on the rise in the town I'm working. I'm going to my first case on it this week. It's not even a small or designer dog. Guy stole the dog from the woman's house (along with other personal property) and then sold the dog to a 3rd party. Luckily, small town vets and a microchip reunited her with her dog, but geez that's scary!

Wish the cops had come when you called and chased the guy off!

Stacy
Too much time on my hands

Postby Stacy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:35 pm

If you see him again and the police don't come... no matter what the reason, I'd call the local newspaper and TV news. They usually have a "news on your side" type feature.

Liz
Quite involved

Postby Liz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:24 pm

What the hell?!?

I can't believe the cops didn't come out - what a joke. I would have said someone was trespassing on my property and several other homeowners and you were afraid of burglary. Argh! ...

Anyway, I'm glad that you were able to get the word out through Sadie. Good girl! *gives non exploding-poop treat*

Colleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Colleen » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:24 am

How scary. I'm glad you have friends on the paper, the media can certainly be your friend. I'm such a nosy old bat I'd be getting the neighbors to pool in money for Private Detective. The guy is certainly up to no good.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:55 pm

[quote=emmas_mom]One of the other neighbours talked with the police, and they said they would have come but had another more urgent call. However, we could call back if we see him again.
I haven't seen him since, but the last three days Sadie became very, very ill with massive diarrhea. (She's on the road to recovery now, thank goodness). Since she is never in the yard without me (she's one of the velcro dogs), the only way she would have picked up anything toxic is if he had tossed it in the yard when I wasn't around and she found it later on. Or perhaps I'm completely wrong and the dogs have been passing some sort of virus around.

He was confronted by two people in our neighbourhood within a couple of days, and we haven't seen him since.

My Sadie, who (with my help) writes a regular column for a local online paper, has told the story in this week's column, so hopefully that will alert others in the community. Thanks for the suggestion. [/quote]

Oh I'm glad he's not been seen since.
After the big run of cat mutilations in my neighborhood, I realised if someone really really wanted to get my dogs, they could probably do it by tossing a poisoned hot dog etc. It's a really scary thought and a scary world.

Laura855
Just popping in

Postby Laura855 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:12 pm

Emmas mom.....there is absolutely no good reason for this person to be going onto to people's property and feeding their dogs. He is either trying to harm the dogs, trying to befriend the dogs for the purpose of breaking in or to commit some other violent crime, or mentally unstable which is can be just as dangerous. I am in the fire service but work with law enforcement all the time. Unfortunately most places are very understaffed and an officer will not come out in this situation as they don't see it as a major crime. Often it is not until a crime has been committed and there is a true victim that you can get a response. I for one would not wait in this situation. If you see this person again, take additional photos if you can, video is even better. Make sure you have a good physical description. When you call the police, make it very clear that this man has repeatedly been found trespassing on your property(and your neighbor's)and messing with your dogs. That when confronted he became beligerant and aggressive and you felt threatened by him. Make it very clear that you feared for you safety, that of your children,etc. Also, insist on filing a police report so there is documentation. Have your neighbors document everything as well. If it's not on paper, it didn't happen. No law enforecement agency wants to be liable should a crime occur and they did nothing to prevent it.

The sad truth is that there are cruel people out there that want to harm innocent animals. There are also people who want to break into your house and harm you and your family. Community policing and neighborhood watch do work. I personally am very well armed and would have met this person with a shotgun in hand. Again, there is no legitimate reason for him to be there.

Don't give up, and make the police provide the service you want. We all pay taxes and deserve to have police respond when needed.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”