Ethoxyquin and mercury in dog foods?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Ethoxyquin and mercury in dog foods?

Postby Moemer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi folks,
I'm new to the list, and am looking to switch my dogs diet from ProPlan. I've done some research and bought a bag of Solid Gold Hund-N-Flocken Lamb and Rice. Listed as the 8th ingredient is "Ocean Fish Meal". I've been doing some more reading, and found some information about Ethoxyquin as used in processing fish BEFORE the dog food company gets it. This sort of ingredient is not necessarily listed in the main ingredient list on the bag. Does anyone know if this chemical is used in processing the fish for Solid Gold?

A second, sort of related question is about mercury in fish products used on dog foods. I had my two dogs on ProPlan sensitive skin and stomach (a salmon-based food) for 2 years before switching to their lamb and rice when I couldn't find the salmon food any more. I had asked my vet at one point about the mercury content, and she didn't seem concerned, so I left them on that type of food. I'm definitely more aware now of what I'm feeding, and I do think there is some validity to my concern about the mercury - considering that people aren't supposed to eat fish more than a couple of times a week, my dogs were eating it twice a day!!
Does anyone know anything about the mercury content is fish based foods? I'm wondering if I should be concerned about this in the "ocean fish meal" in the Solid Gold brand that I've (so far) decided to go with.
Thanks!
Emily

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Re: Ethoxyquin and mercury in dog foods?

Postby Sabine » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:20 pm

Salmon is classified in the "lower mercury" group by the FDA:
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html
I'd be far more concerned about whether a company uses farmed or wild-caught salmon, since the farmed kind is contaminated and can contain 10 times more toxins (PCBs, dioxin, etc.) than wild salmon, plus they are regularly dosed with antibiotics to treat/prevent diseases. Salmon farms are a huge source of pollution, too.

I do know Solid Gold only uses wild-caught fish (the "ocean fish meal" is made from menhaden, and if they can't source that, from cod). On their website they state they do not use chemical preservatives, but as you noted correctly, they do not have to disclose what a supplier already added, so you might want to contact them and ask, and if you are concerned, also ask about the test results for mercury.

As a general rule, the larger a fish grows, and the longer-lived it is, the more mercury accumulates. Small species (herring, mackerel, sardines) are preferable and also more sustainable.

Just out of curiosity though, you live in Canada, why don't you go with one of the excellent Canadian brands instead of paying for an imported food brand that isn't even all that great?

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Ethoxyquin and mercury in dog foods?

Postby sammy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:38 pm

[quote=Mordanna]Just out of curiosity though, you live in Canada, why don't you go with one of the excellent Canadian brands instead of paying for an imported food brand that isn't even all that great? [/quote]

I can only think of one excellent candian brand. Is there another one other than Orijen/Acana?

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”