Good mid-range food?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
EttaMae
Settling in

Good mid-range food?

Postby EttaMae » Mon May 16, 2005 7:24 am

Hi all- new here. I currently have three dogs (and three cats, two rats, and two guinea pigs) and am living on a fixed income (ie- student and childcare worker). I admit to getting kind of stressed out about diet the more I learn.

My dogs are currently on Nature's Recipe Lamb and Rice along with the same canned. They each get only about a sixth of a can per feeding, though; just enough to make a gravy, really.

They also get Missing Link, fish oil capsules, a "shed no more" tablet, and my allergy, mildly dysplastic dog gets glucosamine as well as an herbal allergy supplement.

They have incredible coats, great teeth, are lean and muscular, and just are in great health. Two are six years old (55 pound mystery mutt, 35 pound sheltie-ish, maybe corgi-ish mutt, and one is three (pit mix, but kinda dingoish-looking 60 pounds).

So- My question is, with all of y'alls extensive knowledge and combined research base, do y'all think this is an okay diet for the money, or is there a better food I could be feeding in my budget?

I can't really afford the premium, top of the line foods, unfortunately, and $30 to $35 for a forty pound bag is about the best I can do right now. And even that's stretching it tight.

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Good mid-range food?

Postby PaulaS » Mon May 16, 2005 8:45 am

EttaMae-first of all, welcome to the board!

I'm not, by far, one of the nutrition experts on this board. I'll leave most of that to the others. But I will throw my recommendation for Canidae out to you. In my opinion, it's the most afforable of the premium brands out there. I think it's definitely better than Nature's Recipe, and a 40 lb bag in my area runs about $31-$33.

If you go to the main page of this site, look for "articles" and then diet and nutrition, and there will be a link to "The Dog Food Project". It's great reading, and easy to understand, put together with lots of research by Mordanna. You can take a look and compare what you're feeding to Canidae and many others.

It sounds like you're doing a great job with your dogs, btw!
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex and Will

Brenda
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Brenda » Mon May 16, 2005 10:01 am

Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul is a decent mid-range food that's uaually a good price. Hopefully Lilian will have the best recommendation for you.

Welcome

EttaMae
Settling in

Postby EttaMae » Mon May 16, 2005 10:26 am

Thanks, y'all. Canidae looks terrific. I'm having a beast of a time finding a retailer in my area, though.

There's a feed store that carries the Eagle brands, which I've seen recommended as well. Do they make Chicken Soup? Haven't checked the prices yet, but I know feed stores often aren't as pricey as pet supply store prices.

Jodi
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Jodi » Mon May 16, 2005 10:51 am

Welcome!

Something to think about - a lot of the premium foods are very rich and you feed less so even though you pay more for the food, you spend less in the long run because you feed less.

Does that make sense?

I feed Innova EVO and my female gets 3/4 cup daily to maintain her current condition. My male gets 1 1/4 cup daily to maintain his current condition. I do have to adjust it up or down at times.

My dogs are very active, high energy dogs who are competed in Field venues so they burn a lot of energy. The EVO may cost more per bag, but each bag lasts me a lot longer.

I have heard good things about Eagle, but I have not tried them myself. I used Canidea for awhile, but it was too grain heavy for my boy. Sometimes you will have to experiment to find what works best for your dogs.

I also use Missing Link, but I use the one that already has the glucosimine added. I love it!

Brenda
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Brenda » Mon May 16, 2005 12:27 pm

There's a feed store that carries the Eagle brands, which I've seen recommended as well. Do they make Chicken Soup?
No, but Eagle Pack Holistic Line is a very good quality food and recommended by many

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Mon May 16, 2005 1:11 pm

hi ettamae, welcome to the forum!

paula is correct, canidae is generally the most affordable of the high end brands. have you called canidae to ask about a retailer in your area? sometimes they sell through people who don't necessarily run a pet store (e.g boarding kennels) so it's a little difficult to locate them.

chicken soup is made by diamond pet foods and is decent, but doesn't quite measure up to the level of quality of canidae. it contains more fillers, so you'd have to feed more than of the canidae.

overall the premium brands aren't as expensive as you might think, but you'll have to compare by daily feeding cost, not by price per bag and bag size. a smaller bag of the higher end food will almost always last longer than the mainstream foods, simply because they are more digestible and contain less fillers.

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Tue May 17, 2005 4:54 am

I always recommend Canidae or Solid Gold for good mid-priced foods. Good luck. Welcome to the board.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”