Essential Oils and cats

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Essential Oils and cats

Postby yintzy » Fri May 13, 2005 9:32 am

I just bought some rose geranium oil and almond oil to make a tick repellant for the dogs. Then I noticed on the recipe that it says not to use E.O.s around cats. Does that mean I shouldn't use them at all? The recipe says to put it on the dogs' collars, let dry and replenish once a week. Could this harm my cats? Geeze, I'm trying to go non-toxic and not use Frontline because it can hurt my dogs, now the natural treatment could hurt my cats. Any thoughts or suggestions???????

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Essential Oils and cats

Postby Calypso » Fri May 13, 2005 10:09 am

I'm not sure - I've struggled with the same issue. How much interaction do the dogs have with the cats? I decided it was worth it since my dogs and cats don't play or really even sleep together, and the collars come off at night when there's the greatest likelihood of everyone spending time in the same room.

I suspect that using a diffuser with the EOs is most dangerous, as well as exposing the cats directly to them as you would the dogs. But, I just don't know for sure.

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Fri May 13, 2005 10:16 am

Thanks. I know Whisper came to me with EOs on her collar and we didn't have issues. If I let the collars dry out of reach of the cats, I don't think the exposure is going to be a big deal. They interact with each other but not in a way that I worry about the cats being exposed.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Sat May 14, 2005 12:41 pm

http://www.thelavendercat.com/generic.html?pid=10

Essential oils are extremely potent substances even when using for humans, so use in a small animal, such as a cat, can be dangerous, not only due to the size and weight, but also considering that cats do not have the same metabolism for the oils as we do.

http://www.healthypetcorner.com/peteo.html

I have used tea tree on my cats, a drop on a tick to get it out once, but that's the only time I have used eo's with my cats.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”