can anyone recommend a good Dog First Aid Book ?

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Jenny
Getting to know you

can anyone recommend a good Dog First Aid Book ?

Postby Jenny » Fri May 13, 2005 8:55 am

can anyone recommend a good Dog First Aid Book ? I would like to buy one and put a first aid kit together for my dog.

Any recommendations or ones to stay away from ?

thanks !

EttaMae
Settling in

Re: can anyone recommend a good Dog First Aid Book ?

Postby EttaMae » Mon May 16, 2005 10:22 am

The one I have is Pet First Aid (CATS AND DOGS) , author Bobbie Mammato, DVM, MPH (don't know what MPH is). It's endorsed by the Humane Society of the U.S, and the American Red Cross.

It's pretty inclusive as far as all the problems it addresses, like snakebites and fish hooks, cardiac emergencies and even "minor" stuff like ticks and tapeworms.

The book on Amazon

And here are some harsh criticisms I found while looking for the book, so my recommendation just might be useless!

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Mon May 16, 2005 12:28 pm

Thanks for posting that link EttaMae. I was thinking about this thread and I was going to recommend the Red Cross First Aid course, but the review you found was very interesting. Still, I'd think that any care would be better than no care so it might be worthwhile to have as a reference book.

I have the Merck Veterinary Manual, but I definitely wouldn't call that a quick reference book.

This is at Dogwise.com http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=CDV177. There are some others, but this one was mid range price and looked fairly comprehensive.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Mon May 16, 2005 1:14 pm

ettamae, that book was recommended by the instructor of a dog first aid course i took at dog camp last year, and she praised it highly. i only had opportunity to thumb through it real quick, but from what i saw it is indeed a good resource to have on hand for emergencies.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”