Evolve Dog Food

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
Eileen
Getting to know you

Evolve Dog Food

Postby Eileen » Thu May 12, 2005 6:47 am

I was curious if anyone has tried this food. What do you think of it?

Brenda
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Evolve Dog Food

Postby Brenda » Thu May 12, 2005 9:45 am

Eileen
Getting to know you

Postby Eileen » Thu May 12, 2005 10:11 am

I thought it looked pretty good also. Maybe not as good as some of the premium foods but still pretty good. I never ever hear of anyone on the boards feeding this though. I am thinking of trying it because stool and gas are still a problem on CN. And Stormy is allergic to turkey so I thought the ingredients may work.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Thu May 12, 2005 1:17 pm

it's not as bad as many, but not as good as it could be either. have you looked at other alternatives?

Eileen
Getting to know you

Postby Eileen » Thu May 12, 2005 1:54 pm

have you looked at other alternatives?
We have tried Innova (soft stool, minor itching), Chicken Soup (tons of stool but firm, millions of body flakes), Canidae (major itching), CN (no itching at all but pudding poop off and on..never solid and room clearing gas, managed some with yogurt), Solid Gold (itching), Evo (diarrhea).

The only foods that I haven't tried are Wellness which I don't want to because of what it did to my cat and Eagle Pack which I was considering the holistic chicken but it seemed to be heavier in grain than the Evolve.

Are there any others that I haven't tried that are better than the Evolve without turkey as an ingredient. I would greatly appreciate your imput.

Brenda
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Brenda » Thu May 12, 2005 1:58 pm

I've heard a LOT of good things about Eagle Pack

Jodi
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Jodi » Thu May 12, 2005 2:00 pm

Eileen - When you were on EVO, did you give it a chance to right itself? I know that some people have issues with stool either being too hard or too soft, but it does go away. Maybe you were feeding too much?

I feed EVO for a number of different reasons, the number #1 being the no grain issue. This food by far had been the best food I have ever fed. I did have one bout of really runny stool, but I used canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) and cut back the amount being fed and all was well.

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Thu May 12, 2005 2:08 pm

eileen, you could try nature's variety for example, (http://www.naturesvariety.com), or as already suggested, eagle pack. eagle pack does have good meat content, whereas wellness only has around 30%.

Eileen
Getting to know you

Postby Eileen » Sun May 15, 2005 12:51 pm

This is just crazy. Friday I went looking for Eagle Pack or Natures Variety and could find neither at the two pet stores in my area which carry most of the premium food. So I decided to try the Evolve.

I gave it Friday evening about 10 kibbles of it with the regular amount of CN and poop the next morning was firmer than usual. I continued to add only about 10 kibbles of Evolve to the CN each meal since then and today poop is normal, firm actual pieces. So far there is no itching. And, there isn�t gas from the CN which he is still eating nearly the same exact amount as he was.

I can�t understand how just 10 kibbles of a food could transform my dogs poop from pudding to pieces and get rid of gas in a few days. I am not complaining. I think it is great. I just don�t get it. Could the beet pulp in 10 kibbles have done something. Because he is still eating the CN which has caused bad gas and bad poop.

I know you aren�t supposed to mix food but I can�t imagine how it would be harmful for me to keep giving the CN with 10 kibbles of Evolve. What do you think of that.

Jodi, I really didn�t give it much time on the Evo because the poop was explosive and watery and I was getting alarmed. I now know that he has a problem with turkey. While on CN I experimented and he had diarrhea and itching from fresh turkey so I decided not to try the Evo again. I am glad it is working so well for you.

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Sun May 15, 2005 2:23 pm

eileen, it might just be that he's slowly adjusting.

i know my dog had horrible gas for a little while when i switched him to innova, and also when i was feeding karma on a road trip we took.

the only way you can find out if it's really the evolve that's making a difference is slowly reducing the amount you add and watching out for any changes.

i do agree that you won't cause any problems even if you did continue adding the evolve, since it's hardly any different from feeding a few treats.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”