Cat question

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Cat question

Postby BarksaLot » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:22 am

So our cat 13 yr old has been throwing up now and then. Took him to a vet close to us that has seen our tortoise. Did bloodwork came back normal. We feed the cat meal that Just for Dogs makes, which is fish and chicken, good food. So this vet recommended we change his diet to hydrolized purina cat kibble. My son is having a fit, saying go from good food to kibble? Maybe we should just stick to this vet for the tortoise he is a good reptile vet. Thinking of calling and say pass on this food.?

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Cat question

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:27 pm

I would absolutely not switch to kibble - any kind of kibble - for a 13 year old cat. One thing that every vet I've ever used drilled into my head is that cats, especially seniors, should be on wet food, and that even young ones should receive some wet food every day.
When my cats occasionally threw up, I added a container of cat grass (oat grass or wheat grass) to their feeding area. Usually they would cough up or pass in their stool a hairball within two days and then be good for months. With my last cat, Allie, I made sure she always had oat or wheat grass available.
You may wish to feed smaller meals more frequently, removing the dish after twenty minutes or so. I found this seemed to help minimize any vomiting. Also, to encourage water consumption, put the water dish somewhere different from the food dish - apparently they don't like them side by side. My cat greatly increased her water intake (and therefore her overall skin and digestion conditions) when I learned this several years ago.
Mom to Maggie, Emma and Allie, and occasional foster mom. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie and Mitzi.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”