Whisper (old dog stuff)

Discuss topics ranging from general care to diet, vaccinations etc.
yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Whisper (old dog stuff)

Postby yintzy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:11 am

Whisper has been in a decline e for over a year. We are on the roller coaster ride of chronic kidney failure. We did sub q fluids for a while but we were all miserable. The goal has been to find food that won't make her sick. She did great on raw for a while. Then she couldn't handle it. I then made her food and now she won't eat it. Right now she will eat the stew type cans. Stella and Chewies has one but it's so expensive. I'm going to try fresh pet in bone broth and I'm trying to fix something g i can cook for her.

Her hind end is getting really weak. She is pooping herself. I've shaved her butt but it still ends up in her. This morning a horrible smell some me up and she had pooped and probably need in her sleep. It was a small amount but her bedding didn't smell like poop but just some horrible odor. I've cleaned her up but not bathed her yet. She smells nasty. Really nasty. But she's feisty and she is still a good shark but she might spit it out. I don't think it's time yet. But it's coming. I'm not sure when.

This is all coming at a bad time. I'm going to get divorced and there are.going to be lots of decisions to make. I don't really have any of to talk to about all this so I figured I'd post here. I may post some.if the personal stuff in NDR and hopefully bang some ideas around. I have to talk to him today to get this D stuff started. It's not going to be fun.

catherinec
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Whisper (old dog stuff)

Postby catherinec » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:24 am

I'm so, so sorry that you are having to go through this - I don't have any good words of advice except that I've gone through a divorce (though not at the same time as with an ailing dog) and it totally sucks and is the most stressful, long and drawn out process however the end result down the road once you wade through all the muck, is much more happiness and calm. It just takes a while and I'm so sorry that Whisper is having a rough time at the same time. Hugs to you both.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Oh dear, I'm sorry for what you've been going through with 2 ailing dogs and being compounded by the impending divorce. Don't let this overwhelm you, Dawn. Come back to vent, rage, cry, or whatever if it will help relieve some of that stress.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:40 pm

I'm so sorry, Dawn—a lot at once. I hope Whisper likes the food you try next—hopefully something not too expensive! Glad that she's still feisty. :) Thinking of you guys.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:47 am

I'm so sorry, Dawn. Trying to get an old, kidney-distressed dog to eat is probably the most difficult of the dog care things I've had to do with the seniors I've taken on.....what they eat one day is rejected the next. I had some success with rotating some human foods like scrambled eggs, chicken and rice, oatmeal. When they reach the point where they don't want to eat, I no longer worry about nutrition and just try to get something into them. I rotated through brands of canned foods also (always buying the smallest cans available - and even the very small cans of catfood - since much of it ended up in the garbage).
As one who has lived through divorce stress with dogs, breathe deeply and slowly around Whisper to try to keep her from picking up on your own stress. I have found this helped my dogs (who became more challenging to care for when they picked up on my stress) and also helped me maintain some inner calm. Thinking of you.
Mom to Maggie, Emma and Allie, and occasional foster mom. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie and Mitzi.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:04 am

Thanks for all your support. This week has been nuts!!! Hubby and I are trying to work through some things. These are things we (he) needs to work through whether or not we stay together. I would like it to work out but I really have doubts and I cannot live like we are any more so we will see where we are. We spent Thanksgiving apart which was good. I made myself a pumpkin pie and took Colt and Shasta on a hike.

Whisper is eating Fresh Pet right now. I will take it. I did notice her getting nauseous last night so we will see how long that lasts.

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:11 am

I'm trying to figure out if I should put potty pads by the back door at night. She goes out but sometimes has an accident. It's always by the door (except last weekend when she peed and pooped herself in her sleep which was pretty traumatic for both of us.) This morning, I slept a little late and was gifted pee and poo by the back door. You should have seen the look on Colt's face. He was mortified!!!! It's carpet but clean up isn't that big of a deal. I just hate potty pads and I don't want Colt eating them or playing with them or anyone getting the idea it was okay to go on them. Before I got Merrel, they used potty pads in her foster home and until she was around 2 or 3, would pee on dog beds and throw carpets. Luckily she doesn't do that any more.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:30 am

I used to put a washable throw rug by the door when one of my dogs did that - one I could toss in the washer if needed, but didn't look too bad by the door on a permanent basis. I always hated pee pads - so messy and I've never had a dog that would use them. I'd be particularly concerned if Colt might eat it, given the plastic content.
Mom to Maggie, Emma and Allie, and occasional foster mom. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie and Mitzi.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:58 am

Yeah it’s probably pointless. Plus she’s always done the walk pee so she leaves a trail.

Return to “Care, Health & Nutrition”