Gunner, Gunny, Gun-ster, Mon-ster

Post your dog photos and videos here!
Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Gunner, Gunny, Gun-ster, Mon-ster

Postby Claire » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:15 pm

He's not really a monster, just a jumper. I love watching him run in the yard. But watching him jump in the house is another thing.
So, here's his new Dane-sized crate. Unbelieveable that they actually sent it with a handle, like anyone could really fold up the whole thing and transport it!
We had to take it out of the carton in the garage, open it up, take out the pan, fold it back, then struggle with getting it up the side steps into the area where I had both Rudi's and Sophie's crates, then put it up again. Silly me.... I thought I'd be able to bring it to the pet-sitter when we go to California. I guess he'll have to figure out his own kind of containment for Gunny. Maybe he'll just give him his own room! It seems like we already have.
Attachments
Crate.jpg
Crate.jpg (425.37 KiB) Viewed 2687 times

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Gunner, Gunny, Gun-ster, Mon-ster

Postby Claire » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:20 pm

And wouldn't you know, that with 2 doors, the end door is on the wrong side for us to use! I tried swinging the crate sideways, but it takes up even more room and I'm not happy with the opening that is under that door. Don't know why they made the grid different there, but it's not secure. So of the 3 doors on this thing, we can only use one! Still haven't figured out why they put a door on the top except if someone had a REALLY REALLY tall dog, maybe it gives more head room.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:01 pm

lol He looks like a puppy in the giant's den!

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Well, the good news is that if you ever have need of a spare bedroom, you can park a bed and dresser in there, put some curtains on it, and - presto - instant guest accommodation. All it needs is its own ensuite. :grin:
That is one humongous crate!
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:15 pm

I love this picture of him :love: He's just so handsome. Please post a LOT of pictures of him.

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Yankee » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:06 pm

wow - no wonder you couldn't carry it!

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:51 am

He has plenty of room to "grow into it" doesn't he? LOL

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:20 am

Lol. At least you have room for it. He's adorable.

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:12 pm

Honestly, SOME company really should make an in-between size crate! But I must say, he was very good in it today. I gave him his new Kong and he happily gnawed on it in the crate while I sat next to him crocheting. First door open, then closed over but not latched. He was oblivious. After about half an hour, I latched the door and stayed nearby. He realized it was closed, but didn't seem to mind. Then I left and fixed some lunch, in view. He was good. I returned to crochet, then I left to get online for a bit. I heard him whining, but he wasn't that bad. Then some short barks. I returned but I didn't open the crate -- I just sat down again near him.

This crate training stuff is new to me. Rudi was OK in his, but Sophie ab-so-lute-ly would not tolerate having the door latched without barking up a storm. I should have known because when their first family gave me the crates the heavy sides near the door were crunched, like teeth had been working on it. But I THINK Gunner is doing pretty well with it. Time will tell tomorrow when Hank & I are outside dealing with the snowfall. I plan to have Gunny in his wire room.

p.s. Jean, you are a riot! I made this comment on Facebook but I'll repeat it here. Hank came into the area from watching TV last nite, saw a dim light on near the crate and Gunny sprawled out in all his glory. Hank's comment was "All he needs is a cigar, a drink, and a babe!" Of course, after Tuesday, Gunny won't know what to DO with that "babe". hahahaha

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:16 pm

I suspect the top door is there because it was intended for use as a "cocker" or puppy pen with an elevated floor. he sure does seem to have his man-cave vibe down pat.

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:46 am

Yesterday I introduced Gunny to a closed-door on the crate. Sat next to him while he was inside, first with the door open, then closed, then latched, then I stepped away in sight, then out of the room. There was some wimpering, and short barks, and I returned and sat down again but didn't open his crate door.
He did really well for a couple of hours of this kind of routine.

Today, I can say I am SO proud of him and so relieved. While Hank & I were in the garage (finally....at the last minute.....wait-till-it-hits-the-fan) reading up on our new snow blower and what thingamagigs to push, slide, plug in, and wiggle...
I put Gunny in his crate and latched the door.

There was silence till I got into the garage, then sporadic woofs. Nothing horrible like I used to hear from Sophie.

Hank & I took turns operating the new machine, then I stayed outside and did the whole job (sticking her chest proudly out). When Hank went inside, he said Gunny was curled in a corner of the crate asleep!!!!

Granted this was probably 30 minutes, but I think it's a good sign. Tomorrow we'll give it a little longer shot and see how he does.
As long as the grids stay in place and there's no blood involved, I'm happy!

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:05 pm

Well maybe the top door is incase you and Hank should ever get a giraffe. It can stick it's head out. I've seen some Danes that looked like they might have had giraffe in their genes.

Return to “Photos & Videos”