Tricky and the stairs OF DOOM

Post your dog photos and videos here!
UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Tricky and the stairs OF DOOM

Postby UpwardDog » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:19 pm

Tricky has had a huge fear of stairs that we've been working on. She got a handle on the sets of 3 steps going out of my house but the full straight down flight to my basement was beyond terrifying for her. I had actually started on it and then shelved it for a 3 or so months to work on some other less stressful things instead. I didn't want her avoiding me and being so stressed that it was spilling over into other things which it was.
Anyhoo ...after a week or two (?) of being carried down to play and train other things, building some should strength, play some more we started using a target.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH48RZWk ... e=youtu.be

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Tricky and the stairs OF DOOM

Postby UpwardDog » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:19 pm

should= shoulder

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:53 pm

Good job and keep reinforcing this, Heather. Hopefully you'll get her beyond this fear. She looks like she's just big enough that she between the small dog size that bunny hops up each step like mine do and that of a larger dog that uses one foot per step and has more of a climbing, stepping motion.

I have 2 that are very afraid and that's after working with them. When Dixie was younger than Tricky, she went through the back of a set of contractor steps (no backing on the riser) when just learning steps and did a somersault landing hard on her back, belly up, laid there stunned. Ever since then she's always tried for 2 at a time and then would sometimes face plant into the kitchen door because she couldn't get stopped in time. Now we've tacked down a rug and also have a ramp in the garage for the dogs. Cinnabon's knees are bad enough and legs just weak enough that went she does try to come up, she always bangs her knees which then reminds her not to try again for a while. She's lifted up each time. :(

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:06 pm

Yay for Tricky! She IS getting brave!

I love the Sam cameo too :)

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Judy- Tricky is still somehwat afraid of my open wood steps going from the garage to the house. Oddly enough she goes DOWN them just fine often launching from the second step because she's so excited to get to the van to go for a hike. Going up to go into the house can be scary and she'll sometimes still need a few tries. When she does do it it's like she's going as fast as possible to get it over with.

When she was pretty new to me I accidentally neglected something I was cooking and ended up with about the smokiest house I've ever had. She was full on panicked and cried at the garage to get out of the house. I let her go out but then she was terrified to come in, was scared in the garage by herself which was cold and fairly dark. Anyway I think the pairing of the super smokey house and the fear of the stairs made everything worse.

Poor pup she had a few big scares when she got here. We've worked really carefully on confidence building and all the things that frightened her so much. She's come so so far. I'm really proud of her progress. She's just come 9 months and I feel like she's turned another corner.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:15 pm

good job!! Love the enthusiasm. You're doing so well with her! (and I can't believe she's 9mo already!!!)
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:26 pm

She's so adorable! I love Sam's video-bomb too! Way to go. Stairs can be really scary. Max slid on our outside stairs and it took him a week of going very slowly to get any confidence in the stairs when it's cold out. She'll get there and she's come so far already.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:50 pm

My voice got all high and crazy because I was so thrilled with her offering the stairs and working so happily. It wasn`t long ago that she would tremble and hide and I`d have to work just to get her to play with me down there and then she`d be all upset with me after when I carried her back up. Cresteds are rather emo and dramatic and she`d come up and just pant, was too upset to settle to eat her bone, would refuse to look at me etc

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:00 pm

First of all, Eddie will be arriving on the next plane so you can work on his fear of stairs. (I don't have any stairs in my house, and so the only time he encounters them is when we are visiting others - not often! But a huge problem when I stay with friends on the mainland and no amount of clicker training while there overcomes the fear).
Second, I can't believe how Sammy (that is Sammy, isn't it? Or is it Rosie - I can't remember which is which and I'm too lazy to check) stays out of the way. When I bring the clicker and pouch out here, it is automatic mayhem as all dogs in the house are Right There In My Face.
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Oh, mine all go down just fine. It's going up and seeing through that is the problem for Dixie. For the 2 steps coming from the yard to inside the garage, she starts those from the side. Next are the 3 steps from garage to kitchen. That's where the main problem is. She would take 2 and then the rhythm was wrong for only the one remaining. The ramp solved that but she remembers the not stopping problem, so now she waits at the bottom until the others are in and the door is starting to open and her momentum can continue on into the kitchen. *shrugs* We do whatever works best for the dog around here.

From the looks and sounds of it, you and Tricky are doing great. I hear ya on the drama. Mine aren't drama queens, but believe me when I say that they will remember one scary incident for their entire lifetime. Sounds like and exaggeration, but you are seeing some of how easily it can happen. Oy!

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:26 pm

I`m glad Tricky isn`t the only one scared of going up!

Jean, the big dogs know how to wait for their turn. The best way to get the treat is hold your stay or do what I want. They know the drill, have been doing this a while. Sam got up because I was saying `you`re so brave!` you can see him tilt his head when I say it lol which prior to Tricky was always about him. He had lots of fears to work through for trailing etc He also thinks me saying`anything about handsome is always about him. ie if I`m fawning over someone else`s new dog and use the term handsome he comes over as if I specifically called him. He`s such a dolly.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:56 pm

She did great in that video :)

I just saw this on HP, thought it was really cool, you need a Simon lol
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/1 ... 58561.html
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:13 pm

Here`s the start of that day (and some Rosie), you can see how much more nervous excited energy she starts with compared to what we finished with in the previous video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPOfSeuX ... e=youtu.be

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:32 pm

aww, great job!

she looks to be well on her way to being comfortable with the stairs, that's so nice.

and ditto the others, it's lovely how patient and well behaved Rosie is while you're handing out treats to Tricky. i also loved the way she laid down right there when you asked her to 'go' lay down. umm, no, i'm not going anywhere but i'll lay right here and watch, ok? also loved Sam's cameo, reminds me of how Alfred Hitchcock always had a cameo in his movies/shows. :lol:

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:05 pm

stairs are so scary. She's doing great!

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:08 pm

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:25 pm

:blush: ignore my horrible timing

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:40 pm

looking good :thumbup:

Aubergine
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Aubergine » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:53 pm

That's awesome progress! Tricky is just such a bundle of FUN :D

I am also way way way impressed with the other two dogs staying back. In my house it's total chaos and I have to lick one of them up if I play clicker with the other!

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:41 am

I am so impressed with her! She looks like she's having so much fun and not scared at all. What a good girly :love:

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:00 am

Well done!

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:41 pm

WOOOHOOO! Who's pup is terrified of the stairs? NOT MINE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47v9IgYD ... e=youtu.be

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:55 pm

Stairs are FUN!!

Return to “Photos & Videos”