Dog Breed Scavenger Hunt

Post your dog photos and videos here!
whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Dog Breed Scavenger Hunt

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:38 pm

are we playing? are we playing?

if so, i met a Wire Haired Pointing Griffon today. what a cute cute CUTE dog!

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Dog Breed Scavenger Hunt

Postby Moemer » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:55 pm

whoa, never seen one that colour!! I've only seen darker, sort of chocolate coloured griffons.

yesterday I did a consult with a dog who looked like what a wire haired Rottweiler would look like. coolest looking dog, I should have taken a photo (though that seemed a little unprofessional...) In a search for different coats on Rotts, just to see if there was a pic that looked similar, it turns out that there are LONG HAIRED Rotts!! Whoda thunk it?
http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=long+hair ... 29,r:4,s:0
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Oh, he's CUTE!

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:50 pm

I met a lovely "old farm collie" today. She was super cute, looked a lot like a short rough collie or an aussie-collie cross and had an aussie grin wiggly butt. I really liked her. I need to read but I thought old farm collie = english shepherd but this dog didnt look english shepherdy.

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:23 am

Great capture, whiteboxerboy! I've never seen one in that coloration - only the chocolatey ones. We're headed to DP later today. Will bring the camera.

Moemer - funny, but I had only recently heard of the long haired Rott. We have somone in the neighborhood with a dog who looks suspiciously like one, but it is a rescue and she told me they had theorized Rott X Aussie. Next time I see them I will have to ask if she has ever googled the long hair variety of Rott. Her dog's longer hair is not as solidly Rott colored as in that photo - some lighter fur. It is odd, so maybe it is a cross!

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:46 am

I was sure she was a small Spinone or Spinone cross. She's the size of a BC & very lean. Also more interested in her ball than anything else. LOL.

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:39 am

I handled a Coton and an Australian Terrier at the last UKC show. (Show before that, I handled a Chinook, but no pics). I've really yet to meet something rare *to me* ... ;)
CA UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
CAX UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GRCH GCH "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:03 pm

... there are LONG HAIRED Rotts!! Whoda thunk it?
Years ago a friend-of-a-friend took me to visit a kennel where some research was being done on mutations in purebred dogs. The main focus of the trip was to show me the Rex (curly-coated) Boxers - which were super cool and very appealing, but the highlight for me will forever and always be the two Rotties they had. Littermates, two of six or seven iirc... they were purebred Rotts that were hairless. So cool. They were about the closest thing to having House Hippos.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:47 pm

wha? curly coated Boxers? you've been withholding this information from me all this time?

squee, hairless Rotts! i want a house hippo!

**off to google curly coated Boxers** i think you're playing a joke on me

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Squeee! Boy & I met this beautiful little Boerboel girl on our walk today. she's 3 months old. sorry for such an awful photo - i didn't want to get too close to her b/c she wasn't sure about Boy yet. ha, her little tail was wagging like crazy but she wouldn't approach us. she just lives down the street from us - i told her owner i might have to knock on her door to get another look at her sometime & she said she hopes i do! :smile:

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:20 pm

Ack! CUTE!

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:31 pm

squee!
If I ever do get another Big Dog, Boerboels will be high on the short list.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:39 pm

She was really cute! When I first saw her from a distance I saw her docked tail & thought she was a really stocky Boxer puppy. she's a chunky monkey!

murphdog
Too much time on my hands

Postby murphdog » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:49 pm

I saw an Irish Wolfhound this weekend. No pics cause I was networking at a clinic. There's an odd mix in rescue that's boarding at the clinic. My guess is Bloodhound/Pyrenees both are common breeds in this area so the mix wouldn't be unrealistic. If he's there Thursday I'll get a pic. He looks like a large long haired bloodhound but there's something about his face and tail that makes me think Pyrenees. We have a Cavachon (King Charles/Bichon) pup coming in for vaccines at the moment. Cute, but it sure is an expensive mix. Spayed a Havanese a couple weeks ago. I'm pretty sure I saw a Belgian Tervuren at pet smart but I couldn't remember how to pronounce the breed so I didn't ask:) Also saw my first Norwich Terrier last month.

And of course this is the handsomest Australian Terrier ever. Actually he doesn't quite meet confirmation but he is a better looking Australian Terrier then what I thought at first-megasized yorkie as he went by at work.
Attachments
photo - Copy.JPG
Ulysses, Australian Terrier
photo - Copy.JPG (110.58 KiB) Viewed 7826 times
norwich terrier - Copy.jpg
Norwich Terrier
norwich terrier - Copy.jpg (90.95 KiB) Viewed 7826 times
Mom to two dogs Clarence and Emmy; three cats Crathes, Harley, and Cadbury; two ferrets Sam and Frizzle

RIP: Murphie, Graycie, Zane, Bailey, and Ulysses

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:45 am

Ulysses! How's he doing? Handsome dude.
That Norwich is adorable, one of my favorites, they're cool little dogs. I know one named Edward (never Eddie, please and thank you) and I'm not even on the short list of wanna-be Edward-nappers.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:52 am

Wow, you've been surrounded by interesting breeds! Uly is looking dapper, as always. I love seeing pics of him. That Norwich terrier looks like a doll. :)

murphdog
Too much time on my hands

Postby murphdog » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:48 pm

The Norwich is a sweet little guy. Lucky for him he was just in for his annual. I wouldn't mind seeing him more often if that didn't entail him being sick:) Also forgot about the Irish Terrier. Granted Zeke came in several months ago but he was a cool dude! Not sure why you would pay so much for an unusual breed though and let it run loose so it can be hit by a car resulting in a broken leg that really needed a pin... Same goes for the Uzbek puppy that developed parvo due to co-op vaccines not providing sufficient immunity (she pulled through after about a week)
Mom to two dogs Clarence and Emmy; three cats Crathes, Harley, and Cadbury; two ferrets Sam and Frizzle

RIP: Murphie, Graycie, Zane, Bailey, and Ulysses

Tatyana
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Tatyana » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:50 am

I'm seeing lots and lots of well-bred dogs in Kiev.

Here's a baby pembroke corgi with a tail :P

Corgi! by ShellVergel, on Flickr

And this isn't so unusual but here's a well-bred Cocker in full show coat... There was a family of SIX of them at a local field. All in full coat. All of the dogs were super happy and friendly. I've seen only a handful of well-bred temperamentally stable (!!!) Cockers in the US, so it was super refreshing to see this cocker family :)

Cocker by ShellVergel, on Flickr

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:38 am

Wow, they're both adorable!

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Shoot - I didn't take a picture, but we met a very sweet Scottish Deerhound today. He and Pofi loped about a bit and hit it off nicely.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:32 am

oooh, Deerhounds are one of my favorites! "loped about" is such a good choice, too - afriend with Deeries used to say they have three gears: lounge, lope, and launch.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:34 am

Oh, how cool! You have so many interesting dogs at your dogpark and in your area, LM.

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:59 am

It is a huge and free dog park - that helps on the range of breeds represented. I also did meet and took pictures of what I thought was about the biggest collie I'd ever seen. And the owner tells me she has had him from a puppy and the litter he was from came into the local Collie rescue. But that a Russian man she sees in the park keeps telling her the dog is a Borzoi. And suddenly, that snout looked awfully Borzoi to me. And this is a really tall dog. Taller than Pofi and with a really high tucked up waist like Pofi. LEGS - serious legs.

Gonna ask our breed history guru - is there any Borzoi in long past Collie breeding?? I'll post photos later.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:00 pm

totally not the breed guru, but yes, I believe there is some Borzoi influence in the modern Collie. I've also met a half-Zoi Lurcher that looked a heck of a lot like a Collie that had been under a steamroller,heavy double coat, sable, very tall and narrow, less Roman-nosed than a pure Zoi, with prick ears.

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:37 pm

Kicking myself for not getting the Scottish Deerhound on my phone at least, but here is the super large Collie some random Russian dude thinks is a Borzoi. Merlin is noticeably taller than Pofi, so about 30" TTS. He moves a bit more like a large sighthound than a Collie, but I still think he's a Collie or Collie x.

A photo of him standing would help to show how narrow and tucked up his waist was and how big the back thighs looked, but I didn't get one.

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:40 pm

But today we scored twice in our midday, post heartworm vet check visit to the park.

Briard - a 5 year old named Casey. She took Mia's ball and got a bit snarky, guardy with it (and Mia showed amazing restraint), but nice other than that one moment.

And then, this little surprise package!

Do we all know what she is - she's not a breed specific cut...

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:53 pm

They're all beautiful! Want want want, esp. curls up there.
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:06 pm

That sure looks like a collie of some sort to me! I love Briards; I saw a few when I went to watch yintzy and Whisper at a trial and they were really neat.

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:38 pm

No guesses on Curly Sue's breed? She came a long, long way to Minnesota. DEFINITELY not a common breed.

There was also a petite woman there today with a Newf and a Saint Bernard. Don't see Saints that often!

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:01 pm

I was going to call Curly Sue a Spinone Italiano, but they're not super rare and I don't think they'd be that curly. Hmm...

Return to “Photos & Videos”