totally NDR: doNOT click if spiders make you squeamish

Post your dog photos and videos here!
Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

totally NDR: doNOT click if spiders make you squeamish

Postby Jen » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:15 pm

Came home this evening to find this on my back porch. Now you know I am not the squeamish type, but she has me seriously freaked out. :peekdoor:

Not enough not to take a quick fuzzy picture, though. :hmm: She's about 2" including the legs *shudder*
Attachments
blackwidow001sm.jpg
blackwidow001sm.jpg (179.16 KiB) Viewed 2362 times

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: totally NDR: doNOT click if spiders make you squeamish

Postby SherriA » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:38 am

Woah! I should NOT have opened that! *shudder*

BassetLover
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby BassetLover » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:59 am

Oh man, I would be seriously freaked out! :wow: Yikes! So what do you do when you find spiders like that?

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:04 am

Is that a black widow spider maybe?

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Postby EllaBella » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:27 am

Definitely a black widow--note the red hourglass on the belly. I'm asuming she's a really shiny black? I'd ummm...spray it with liquid death. I don't kill spiders, unless they're the poisionous ones. Black widow bites are highly unpleasant.

My families shed in CA is over-run with black widows. you have to wear long pants/shoes/sleeves/gloves to get anything out of there. no one's been bitten, luckily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_widow_spider

Niners

Postby Niners » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:27 am

Looks like a black widow to me. I generally don't kill spiders, but black widows are fair game in my book. We find them all the time under water tanks here, or old logs, rocks, etc. They are poisonous.

J.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:43 am

Oh, yeah, I knew she was a black widow. DH squished her after I took a picture. I just wanted a picture of her because she was ginormous! The black widows we usually get are maybe 1/2" total. Who knows how long she's been lurking there!!

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Postby EllaBella » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:47 am

the ones I'm used to seeing are about 1inch or so---2 inches is disturbingly large. creeeepy

I was inspecting my tomato plants in the garden, and saw four 2 inch long stripey fuzziesh brown LEGS curling out from under a leaf. I don't even want to know what the spider that went with those legs looked like. Seriously. Especially since I vowed not to kill spiders in my garden because they are good, and that one may have needed killing just for its freakishness. eeeeeewwww

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:40 am

Oh blech! That's insanely big! I would have totally peed my pants. We don't have too many black widows out here, but there are occasional spottings in crevices or at the base of buildings and sheds. We do however have a problem with brown recluse, and they are much more difficult to recognize. So I kinda have to squish anything that I suspect might be a brown recluse; I don't really have the time to go consult a book and get close to see its markings! Those things are fast.

I feel better knowing there's one less black widow around; even if it was all the way out in CA!

We have alot of wolf spiders; which are actually really cool (and trust me, I am not someone who thinks spiders are cool at ALL.) They are predatory, mildly venomous but not deadly, and kill alot of insect pests, but won't bother humans unless they are provoked or threatened. They carry their young around on their back. I accidentally killed a mama last year and I felt horrible about it. She had all her babies on her back but I thought she had some sort of horrible growths. I was in the pool and she crawled off one of the pool floats and scared the crap out of me. I scooped her up in a jar of water and covered the jar to show Doug. A few minutes later, I looked and realized that what I thought were lumps were actually baby spiders, all of which had fallen off and drowned in the jar. I was horrified. Then this past Saturday I found one on the solar cover trying desperately to get out of the pool; and immediately recognized a mama and babies. I carefully scooped her out in a dry jar and put her in the garden; but not before taking a good look at the 20 or so itty bitty babies she had clinging to her back. Very cool...I just hope I made up for my snafu last year!

Alissa, you may have had a wolf spider...they have sort of furry legs and can get pretty big. They like to hang out in gardens, but they are great pest killers!

Niners

Postby Niners » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:23 am

Yep wolf spiders can be creepy just because of their size alone. We used to have lots of them living in the chicken houses when I was growing up. I try to take a "I won't bother you if you don't bother me" attitude with spiders, though I did squish quite a few black widows while I was helping my neighbors clear the smaller bits of branches, rocks, etc., from a newly cleared pasture.

J.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:02 pm

Wolf spiders are so cool...my worry here is brown recluse, which I find alot of .....they dash under things so fast and can really cause you some damage if you get nailed by one. Funny thing..I got a call from one of our volunteers this morning and her husband got bit by a black widow and had to go to the hospital...they said there is no antivenom but he was in so much pain, she said he was crying....I am not fond of spiders so I give them a wide girth, but if they are inside my house, I squeel like a baby for the DH to come deal with it.

Niners

Postby Niners » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:52 pm

One of my dogs was apparently bitten by a brown recluse after we had moved a bunch of my furniture out of storage in a barn and into a storage room in the house I was renting. It was nasty--it seemed as if the lower half of his leg just sloughed off over a period of time.

I always feel a little weird while doing it, but if I'm going to put on any clothing that's been stored for a while, I always turn it inside out and give it a good shake to make sure nothing has made a home there in the time it was stored.

J.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:07 pm

We had a population explosion of black widows in our front yard last year. There were lots of them all over. We relocated a bunch of them to the nearby empty flood control area. lol

If you use a can of compressed air upside-down, the cold will stun them for long enough so you can collect them in a jar.

cjs
No, I don't have a life!

Postby cjs » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:28 pm

I am soo glad I have not looked yet. Yesterday I was power washing the front door ( we live in a constant construction zone)..and I happend to look down and yikes! A big black think was scrambling to not float away...it ended up being washed to the grass...probably now plotting it's revenge on me. :(

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:25 pm

I think wolf spiders are pretty cool. I used to have them all over the place in my house in Atascadero (it was a 100+ year old "guest cottage"). I did see one with babies once and didn't recognize it as a wolf spider with babies. She was near my bathroom faucet, so I just kind of moved her along with the handle of my comb and the babies exploded off her back. That made me jump! lol

Panther
Site Admin

Postby Panther » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:09 pm

Here's one of the spiders Mordanna was talking about.
Attachments
Spiders.jpg
Female black widow
Spiders.jpg (47.17 KiB) Viewed 2270 times

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:08 pm

Oh, my goodness! Look at that red belly :o

Yankee
Yes, I do have a life!