Little Hiker

Post your dog photos and videos here!
Amanda
Permanent Resident

Little Hiker

Postby Amanda » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:02 pm

Jovie is becoming a wonderful hiking companion. She checks in regularly when we are in areas she can be off leash. She walks politely on leash when it is required or needed. I worried getting a Border Terrier that off leash hikes wouldn’t be possible, but so far she is doing so great. And she just charges through the water like it’s no big deal. She is afraid of heights it seems, but that is getting better as she learns to trust her own feet. Happy little hiker!
Attachments
D8028BBE-B5E8-40B5-9830-A523E08C4AD3.jpeg
D8028BBE-B5E8-40B5-9830-A523E08C4AD3.jpeg (247.55 KiB) Viewed 1271 times

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Little Hiker

Postby connie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:47 am

She is such a cutie!

I love my rescue dogs and have no craving for a puppy (now), but I do see -- and I remember -- how nice it is to be able to train things at a very young age that then create good habits forever. One of my agility instructors is keeping a BC bitch from her latest litter, and this little girl, at 12 weeks, is already learning nosework by searching for her meals, and has been taught to not pull on a leash. OMG what I would give to have my BC not pull on a leash! It is the one thing about him that I just despair of: sure, I can get him to walk on command without pulling, but as a default behavior, he is FULL SPEED AHEAD WITH ALL POSSIBLE ENERGY! The Weiss Walkie helps but he is a puller and will always be a puller. If I'd had him at 8 weeks ...? I wouldn't be so :banghead: and he wouldn't be so GOTTA GET THERE ASAP fired up.

Being able to hike with off-leash dogs is wonderful. As bad as Row is on leash, he is an angel off-leash, so I can hike with only Dee the Mighty Hunter leashed, on a long line. Yay for Jovie building good habits that will make everyone's life better!

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:58 am

It makes me happy that you and Jovie found each other, and that she has fitted in so well. I remember what a great hiking buddy my Eddie was and how much joy he got out of our hikes. Maggie is shaping up to be a good hiking buddy too, but I doubt I will ever let her off leash on hikes as she is very fearful and will bolt at the unexpected. Her recall in our fenced yard and on a long line is pretty darn good, but yesterday a trail bike came up behind us in the forest and even though the driver was wonderful - stopping it well back at us and walking it past us - it did backfire once as he turned if off and Mags totally freaked, trying to bolt, whale eyes, shaking. Thankfully I was able to bring in the leash quickly and she stood shaking between my knees.
Mom to Maggie, Emma and Allie, and occasional foster mom. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie and Mitzi.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:06 am

Jovie sounds like a wonderful dog, Amanda, and I'm happy for you that she's fit in to your family so well.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:38 pm

I really love your pics of her hiking with your family!

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:09 pm

Thanks! She really fits in well here.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:07 pm

That sounds heavenly - to go hiking with a dog that checks in and can be trusted off leash. :)

catherinec
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby catherinec » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:01 pm

Ditto that, Jen! :-) She's so cute, she looks like she's done with taking photos, though, and wants to get back to hiking :-)

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:05 pm

I love Jovie.

Return to “Photos & Videos”