Urgent French bulldog needs foster in GA

Rescue, Transport & Adoption
Amanda
Permanent Resident

Urgent French bulldog needs foster in GA

Postby Amanda » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:06 pm

My friend, L, has a purebred 4 year old female cream Frenchie named Piper. She's a really sweet dog, but my friend is totally overwhelmed. This is the family with the son who had his heart stop last summer. Her husband is a baseball player and will be leaving for spring training in a few weeks hopefully. He's a minor leaguer (translation: he makes no money, but travels a lot).

Their son, C, has daily therapies and cannot walk up or down stairs. He's 2 years old now. They live in a 3rd floor apartment. And L was in a car accident which tore her rotator cuff and she had surgery in December. She has one working arm at the moment. Put together, that means she's home alone with a 2 year old who can't walk the stairs and no extra hand to carry him and hold Piper's leash. Which means that Piper isn't being walked and sometimes has to pee on a pee pad because she can't take her downstairs. This dog is L's heart, but her son's needs are so great, she can't take care of Piper the way she wants to. Her parents have offered to keep Piper, but her dad is harsh with the dogs and they don't have a fenced yard. Piper will leave to go see people and won't come when called by her parents.

All this to say, she called me in tears because she doesn't know what to do. Rehoming Piper seems like the best choice, but if their lives as a baseball family ends (which it could at any time) she's thinking with her husband home more she'd be able to keep the dog and if she rehomes her now, she'll regret it. But she has no way of predicting their future. She's also trying to finish her masters degree which she was working on before C's accident so that she can be the primary bread winner and provide consistent health insurance for them. It's even more important now as C's needs require a good plan. It's just too much for her to bear and definitely not your typical, "I had a kid and don't want the dog"scenario.

I told her I would network with people I know to see if we could find a foster for Piper that will treat her well, feed her a high quality diet (she may be able to help with that financially as well), and just ease some of the burden for a while until she can reassess her situation and find out if Piper can fit into their family dynamic again. They are in Georgia, north of Atlanta.

Robin, Katie, Paula, Qbert, Laura, Amy, Alissa, Emily? Anyone in the Southeast have any ideas or contacts for a long term foster/possible forever home for her? I wish I were closer to help her out more, but this is the best I can do. :( Piper lived with us when she was a puppy. She's a good dog and great with kids. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Urgent French bulldog needs foster in GA

Postby QBert » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:55 pm

If she is willing to be responsible for vet care during the time the dog is in care, until she either decides to bring her home, or decides to make it permanent and let her be placed, I could take care of her as long as she's likely to be OK with other dogs. I'm sure we can find someone closer to her to take her in, but if the need arises...

I put a few feelers out to friends in the area. We'll get her sorted one way or another.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:54 pm

Amanda, Gina's eye vet has Frenchies and I bet if she can't take the dog, would know someone with experience. Want to pm me the info and I will give her a call? http://www.gvsvet.com/gvsDoctorsList_Pe ... thalmology Dr. Andrew, as you can see from her pic, is a Frenchie enthusiast and of course woudl give the dog a good home. You can email if you like: robinatbanditsbuddies.com

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:41 pm

Kara, thank you so much. If things don't work out closer to home for them, her husband will likely attend spring training in Florida, so transportation to you wouldn't be out of the question. Vet care would be covered if it was needed.

Robin, I will send you an email later this evening when I'm on my computer. Thank you for helping!

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:17 pm

any word on this situation? If she's not going to need to come to me, I may see if I can upgrade a one-eyed 5yo Crested that popped up on Craigslist...

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:07 am

Robin checked with Dr. Andrew, but she doesn't have room at the moment. I think they are going to check in with Frenchie rescue in GA. They will be coming to FL for Spring Training in a couple of weeks. I think they may even be close to you, Kara. I'll call her today and PM you the update. Thanks.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:45 am

Yes, I gave Amanda the info for the French Bulldog Rescue network here in GA which is where Dr. Andrew recommended since there is no room at her home for another.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:31 am

Amanda, I got a v.m. from Dr. Andrew this morning. She made contact with the people at French Bulldog Rescue Network and they'd like to talk to your friend. They don't typically foster and return the dog, but they are open to talking to her about options if she can cover costs. Has she reached out to them yet? They would like to talk to her about age, health, temperament, diet, the financial aspect of long term fostering. http://www.frenchbulldogrescue.org/

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:10 pm

L is reluctant to contact rescue. She prefers to find someone she knows or at least a friend of a friend. She is going to call you, Kara, either today or tomorrow.I told her I'd trust my own dogs to your care even though we haven't actually met. It looks like she'll just need help for a month during Spring Training. Thanks for all the effort and contacts made on her behalf. Just knowing there are good people out there willing to help has made her feel much better.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:20 pm

I feel badly for her. I followed their story when their little guy was so sick. I was hoping he had made a full recovery. I hope he will. I'd take her dog temporarily in a heartbeat if I was local.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:46 pm

If they have decided to keep her, that's awesome news.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:36 pm

It looks like the little smooshface is going to come stay with me and the mutants for a "spring break". If it is just a brief period and then she goes back home, well then HURRAH! If it isn't possible for her to go back, then we'll sort that out too. But she is welcome here as long as she needs to be. I had a loaner Frenchie once before and still reminisce over her much fondness and laughter.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:52 pm

Photos will be required. I'm just saying. :grin:

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:09 pm

That's such a kind offer, Qbert! Hooray for kind people! :)

I've often thought that temporary foster for dogs whose people really need a bit of help is just the kind of fostering I want to do, but I can't do any fostering until I get Bella sorted out about welxoming visitors and that doesn't look to be happening any time soon. :(

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:09 pm

good on you, Kara. the little smooshface is one very lucky dog!

can't wait to see pictures & hear the stories.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:17 am

I could cry, I'm so thankful for your help Kara! L is such a dear friend and I've been so helpless to help their family through all of their recent struggles. What a true blessing you are to them and me! Thank you so very much! And seriously, what an amazing group of people we have here that something like this could be set up by people as far apart as CA, FL, and GA. I love ODO. :love:

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:12 am

hey, I feel like I'm cheating. A foster dog who isn't neglected, malnourished, psychotic, or diseased? I won't know what to do with myself.

wait... yes I will! I will rub her velvety ears and stretch out her wrinkles and tickle her twisty tail and fondle her chubby foots, and take her to the lake to snort at the pelicans. that's what I'll do!

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:40 am

Oh, I'm so glad this is sorted out for L! That must be such a relief.

Q, you ROCK. Just saying.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:18 am

hey, I feel like I'm cheating. A foster dog who isn't neglected, malnourished, psychotic, or diseased? I won't know what to do with myself.

I'm jealous!! Do we need to send you a camera to ensure an abundance of photos?

wait... yes I will! I will rub her velvety ears and stretch out her wrinkles and tickle her twisty tail and fondle her chubby foots, and take her to the lake to snort at the pelicans. that's what I'll do!

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:02 pm

Aww yay! ODO strikes again! :love:

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:25 pm

This all makes me so happy. Kara, I don't know if it came up, but she used to ride hunter/jumpers. So you could chat horses with her too. :)

Aubergine
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Aubergine » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:12 pm

Wow, this has been such an uplifting thread to read :) I love ODO!

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:09 pm

WOOT! I just now happened to see this - and would say that if for any reason it is needed, she's always welcome to come have a hang at Auntie Laura's house for a while - particularly if they just need someone to foster for a while, and then want her back. :)
Laura & the Crazies:
Nick, Linc, Pia, June, and Ginger
RIP Zippy - January 11, 1994 to April 9, 2012

http://www.crooksandcrazies.blogspot.com

Sweetgrass Farm

Postby Sweetgrass Farm » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:46 pm

ABSOLUTE AWESOMENESS!!! And Kara, YOU ROCK!!

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:42 pm

hey, I am the one who is getting a loaner Frenchie! I luv the little smooshies. We've been chatting back and forth a bit, I've gotten to see pics of Piper and she is absolutely adorable. This is my chance to have a pay-it-forward moment, to lend a hand where it is needed. The timing and travel arrangements just worked out so smoothly. Piper will come have a 'spring break', I get a darling dog to play with, and the family gets a chance to catch their breath during a stressful period. win/win/win.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:09 pm

she's here! and she is just too flippin' cute. she's a good, good girl, a little worried yet, but she ate her supper and has been very cooperative. So far so good with meeting the mutants, we're about to put on our warm sweatshirts and go for short small-group walks in different combinations then settle in to cuddle in blankets and watch a movie.

maxs_mommy
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby maxs_mommy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Pictures if her forever humans will let you! Glad she's settling in!
Max "the ninja"-American Cocker Spaniel G-day 3/2009
Charlie "the middle child"- Orange Tabby G-day 7/2005
Sadie - Grey Tabby 9/1996-8/4/2012 RIP

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:33 pm

oh hooray for your visiting Snorter!

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:12 pm

This is heartwarming news that this worked out so perfectly. We definitely need some pictures. Kara, you are all kinds of awesome!

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:15 pm

Amanda, I want to recognize your part in the arrangements and helping make this possible too. You are all kinds of awesomeness too with all the good you do for friends and family and their pets.

Return to “Dogs in Need / Dogs wanted”