another Uh Oh....

Postby whiteboxerboy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:23 pm

oh dear! a little pink nose & everything. :love:

http://savetheboxers.com/available2.php?dogID=1990

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Re: another Uh Oh....

Postby whiteboxerboy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:28 pm

**i don't have an 'edit' option with Firefox...
BUT, if you scroll down the available Boxers you can see Luv, formerly Mia The Mangey Puppy who had a brief pitstop at my house a couple of months ago. she's healthy now & ready for her hoomans to take her home! sounds like she's a really good girl,too. :laugh:

amazing how many foster homes they have.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:30 pm

I admire your willpower!! :rofl: :rofl:

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:47 pm

meh, it's not really willpower. i'm trying to be realistic. as far as the little pup goes: i'm willing to give up some of my 'requirements' for my next dog, but one thing i'm probably not going to budge on is a dog that's had a pediatric (8-12 wks old) spay/neuter. and then there's the 'behind the scenes' drama of this rescue group - mostly the same old things you'd expect but recently a bit of high drama that made me cringe. in the end, they're saving LOTS of dogs AND do lots of holistic vetting, so they're definitely not all bad.

i just keep telling myself there will always be another one. and one of these days, 'my' next dog WILL find me and that'll be that. in the meantime, it's fun to shop around. poor Boy, he's ready NOW for a live in playmate/snuggle buddy. :frown:

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:04 pm

goodness me they spay at 8-12 weeks??

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:09 pm

yes they do. they neutered Boy at 12 weeks. his original owners dropped him at 6 PM and he was at the vet being neutered the very next morning. which also happened to be the day after his Rabies booster. and the day they removed the stitches from where the resident dog attacked him.

granted, nothing truly 'life threatening' but it still *really* rubs me the wrong way considering we did not have ONE app for a puppy, much less a deaf puppy. not one. and since all foster home dogs must be spayed/neutered & foster dogs are not allowed to 'interact' with other dogs, i'm still not sure what the issue was.

but they did it. 12 weeks. pointless. why not wait until an adopter was ready to adopt? they could've waited 24 hours if they needed to. add to that the fact that nobody even applied for him until he was at least 7-8 mos if not older. not one app. but he was neutered and ready.

STOOPID!

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:09 pm

and apparently, i am NEVER NEVER EVER NOT EVER going to let this go. my blood boils every time i think about it.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Well, I agree with you on that topic ... I also don't think pediatric s/n is good for the dog in the long term; I do know that it's a fact of life with rescues and shelters and unfortunately, I think it's become a convenience for many of them. :( One less thing to keep tabs on, to do at a later date -- we're quite the convenience society now, and IMO that's not always good!

Rowley was neutered when the rescue took him from the shelter, at which time he was about 8 months old. That's quite young enough, thank you, and if I had owned him from a pup, I would have let it go another 4-6 months. But it's a good deal better than 8 WEEKS of age!

So yes, I totally do see your point on that.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:13 pm

Well, I agree with you on that topic ... I also don't think pediatric s/n is good for the dog in the long term; I do know that it's a fact of life with rescues and shelters and unfortunately, I think it's become a convenience for many of them. :( One less thing to keep tabs on, to do at a later date -- we're quite the convenience society now, and IMO that's not always good!

Rowley was neutered when the rescue took him from the shelter, at which time he was about 8 months old. That's quite young enough, thank you, and if I had owned him from a pup, I would have let it go another 4-6 months. But it's a good deal better than 8 WEEKS of age!

So yes, I totally do see your point on that.
I hear what you are saying, but being one of those volunteers...yep, it doesn't pay anything - I speak from first hand knowledge that it's very difficult to keep up with people. On some occassions we have let dogs go home without the s/n and it nearly every time was a nightmare to get scheduled. I know that our local shelter has the same issues trying to keep up with people. It's not about convienience for me, I know that most of our dog folks would rather NOT s/n a dog so young, but we know what happens when they get out the door without it and the fines involved by the State if we don't have record that it was done. It's a lot of work for volunteers to keep up with people who don't stay in one place, change numbers, don't want to be bothered, etc.

BeccaIFBC
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby BeccaIFBC » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:08 am

I know it is terrible for the babies. But people just are NOT responsible. After 18 years of rural life, I can think of maybe four or five neighbors/church friends/coworkers, I have ever had, that I would trust with an intact puppy.
Becca Shouse
Irena Farm, Pinnacle, NC

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:21 am

Robin, i totally hear you. i'd never consider sending an intact puppy home with an adopter, for all of the reasons you mentioned. the 'typical' adopter rarely bothers to keep in touch just to say hi and give updates on how their dog is doing so expecting them to follow thru with a spay/neuter is most likely asking WAY too much.

at this point in time, i'm really not ready to actually bring a 2nd dog home. in the meantime, i go back & forth about where my next dog will come from. i feel strongly about rescue and with so many dogs/puppies needing homes along with the fact that i'm not looking for a dog that is Show Quality to win dog shows, i'm looking for a pet dog. so i do feel ridiculous 99% of the time for even considering going thru a reputable breeder for my next dog. when i was fostering & potential adopters expressed being unsure of adopting a rescue due to their unknown prior health history, my mantra was 'You are saving a life, this dog is now & will always be SO grateful to be out of the shelter & now be part of a family. You get to love him and share your life with him for as long as you have him. The most important thing is to love him every minute of every day for however long you have with him. If it's for 14 years or 4 years, those will be the best years you guys will ever have.'

IDK, i guess i'm just trying to say i agree with you and at the same time i'm having 'magical thinking' and wishing there was some kind of 'exemption' from pedi spay/neuter for those of us who are responsible about all things dog and want our own dogs to have every chance at being as healthy as possible. kind of like the Rabies exemption. LOL until i was fired from the rescue group, i figured i'd wait until 'my' puppy arrived in our group and if i asked, Amy would let me wait on the spay/neuter b/c she knows me so well and knows i wouldn't be irresponsible about it.

meh, i reckon the real issue here, seeing as how i'm dealing with Boxers, is NOT the pedi spay / neuter at all, it's the dreaded Cancer. dr. fred told me again the other day that 'i'm just asking for heartache with these dogs', as he was searching every inch of Boy for lumps & bumps the way he always has with all of my dogs.

wow this is long & rambly.... i should probably delete this as i'm not sure it makes much sense but i'll post it anyway. good thing i don't have to decide any of this today. LOL

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:26 am

makes sense to me!!
I'm not in any position to get another dog now or soon, but I do still consider the recue vs breeder issue. I don't have a breed loyalty, and the hardest part about a breeder is finding a GOOD one. I would consider going through that process, but working in rescue I feel a little like i'd be 'cheating' on rescue, if you know what I mean! All I know is that I'm doing my time with the unhealthy old rescue, and I'll need someone younger for the next one (=who can work for longer). Elsie is awesome and i don't regret keeping her, but years go by fast and I know she doesn't have a million years left, never mind a million capable working years.
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:16 am

I *think* here when you adopt a pup under 6 months old you are responsible to get them neutered but you've basically paid the neuter to get the animal and so all you have to do is go, no more money paid? I think that's what happened with my cat anyway. She was actually over 6 months but was pretty underweight and was starting to cough so we waited.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:45 am

the 'typical' adopter rarely bothers to keep in touch just to say hi and give updates on how their dog is doing so expecting them to follow thru with a spay/neuter is most likely asking WAY too much
I know I'm not a typical adopter in the way you guys mean and you know way more about rescue than I do, but I'm much more likely to do the spay/neuter than keep a rescue updated with how my dog is doing. I don't think I've contacted Bella's rescue more than once - to let them know we updated her microchip and tell them she'd settled in. If they'd said, "It's important that you do XYZ by this date and bring her here to do it" I would have. It just never occurred to me that they'd want me to "check in." I figure it's just one more email in an overflowing inbox. So I don't think not saying "hi" means they're not taking care of the dog.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:17 pm

Jen, when we adopt our dogs out, we have a volunteer who calls in two weeks and four weeks. We tell the people at the time of adoption to expect a call and also give them the number to call us. Most of the time, we have to leave a message and no one returns a call. Sometimes we need to follow up if a dog went home with meds, was post op, or something behavior wise. It's very difficult in most circumstances to stay in touch with most people during that first month or so after adoption. People are busy, they forget, or they don't think it is important. We had a bunch of small puppies a few years back that we adopted out with the plans to spay/neuter at six months, because they were tiny breed dogs. It was a humungus task for the volunteer to get in touch with the people to get the speuters done. It was a nightmare to be honest. We had even held over their heads that the microchip would remain registered to us until the spay neuter was done and even offered a refund of a certain dollar amount if they used their own vet to do it...it was still a nightmare.

Ranfan4life
Getting to know you

Postby Ranfan4life » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:16 am

Is the adorable boxer still available ? I think it is so important to spay/neuter your animal. Also rescuing animals. I volunteer at a shelter in NH and there are so many animals who need good safe homes.

Return to “Dogs in Need / Dogs wanted”