Westminster

This is the place to let people know about dog-related events, brag about successes and to submit news for the front page.
whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Westminster

Postby whiteboxerboy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:06 pm

Fergie won Select Bitch (I think that's what it's called??) at Westminster today!
We watched it online & i thought she looked great!

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Westminster

Postby SherriA » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:41 pm

Yay!

so for those of us who don't have a clue about dog shows....what is select bitch? Is that the best female boxer? or something else?

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:20 pm

Oh can I guess? I think males and females compete together in group so does it mean of all the boxers she was the best bitch? But does that mean a male/dog was best of breed? Or if a bitch was best of breed, is it like second best bitch? I
ve been told the answers to this before but i can't keep them in my head.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:52 pm

"Select" is a new-ish thing - it's aside from the Best of Breed and Best of Opposite Sex, so Fergie's Select Bitch doesn't mean the judge considered her the best of the females shown today, but that the judge still considers her worthy of points toward her Grand Champion title - the number of points will depend on the number of females she defeated, and the BoB or BOS bitch will get all those points PLUS one more for beating Fergie.

My vet bred the BoB Glen of Imaal Terrier, and my friends won BoB, a Select, and two Awards of Merit in Cresteds - and Scout the Crested just missed out on a placement in agility; I know the gal who is breeder/owner/handler on the BoB in Kerry Blue Terriers. A dear friend got a Select on her breeder/owner/handled Silky Terrier with his natural intact tail! My friend's Xolo got an Award of Merit.

Unless the Crested, Glen or Kerry go Best In Show, I'm pretty much done for Westminster.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:55 pm

Dang Kara, you are connected!

Hot Damn, a natural tail?? Awesome!

ETA: thanks for the explanation, that was helpful. One day I'll remember how this works.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:45 pm

I hope to see more natural tails in the future--especially on dogs who are currently bobbed right off like aussies and rotties.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:48 pm

If I was better connected I'd have some way to kidnap the BoB Airedale, I've been a fan of hers for a while now, I think she's just gorgeous.

Yes! Barb has been on a major crusade with her Silkies and Yorkies with full tails - she is a Force To Be Reckoned With, and has really stunning dogs, she has actually had some real success with her natural tails, but especially with the Silkies.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:51 pm

ONG that Airedale's EARS & her darling smile, I love her too!

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:18 am

The Lapphund that represented his breed in the Herding Group finals is a Sugarok dog, that's Alex's family. :love: I thought it was time for a Lappy to win the Herding Group, but the judge didn't agree. Oh well, the Corgi was SO COOL, I want a Cardigan someday!

I have a question about the show leads: I know it's necessary to keep the dog's head up so the conformation of the dog can be seen best, but those thin leads way up under the ears look uncomfortable to me! I also know the dogs are used to it, and I don't think it's abusive, I'm just wondering if there isn't another way to get the dogs to gait with head up? Clicker training? :tongue:

And the Standard Poodle that got Reserve BIS looked like Joan Rivers. :eek:

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:28 am

I thought the Corgi was a cool dog too. What did she do that made the final judge for BOS laugh at her? Did she think the judge had a treat for her?

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:28 am

... wondering if there isn't another way to get the dogs to gait with head up? Clicker training?
of course there is. I wouldn't doubt for a second that it would be possible to clicker-train the desired carriage; what I doubt is that all that many of the handlers have the skill or talent required to be able to train it that way successfully. It's more than just holding the head high, it's the entire body carriage, the speed and stride length the general balance. Time and motivation make it an even harder sell.
fwiw, nearly all of the show dogs I've had my hands on have been very responsive to the lead, similar to the "silky leash" training - and if you were able to actually go up and pluck at their lead while they were moving, you'd find it isn't actually as tight as it looks. Like a horse whose rider has good hands, a well-trained dog with a skilled handler is usually moving in contact but not under tension.

there are a LOT of critiques flying around about the Poodle - some nicer than other, but there's a pretty wide agreement that her spray-up wasn't the best it's ever been done and was tight enough to distort her eyes. This was meant to be her retirement she's likely to be cut down by this weekend, and won't have to worry about "Daddy, my ponytail's too tight!" moments ever again.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:52 am

Ah, that explains the Poodle's looking like she'd had a few too many Long Island Iced Teas. :blush: She had a good retirement show, went out with a very nice finish, if perhaps not the best grooming job she'd ever worn.

I don't doubt that the seasoned show dogs are very familiar with what's required of them, including the lead and how it's used -- as I said, I don't think it's abusive or anything, and I know you're correct about it not being taut all of the time even when it's at full extension. There were some very nice pairs (handlers and dogs) out there, for sure!

Alex my Lappy actually watched parts of the show, and I mean *watched* them: seemed riveted by the movements of the dogs and handlers on the TV screen. Maybe he was remembering his puppy show career, before his stubbiness (he's just under the required 16" at the shoulder for male Lapphunds) ended that part of his life. His sister Alexa finished her CH just a few weeks ago, IIRC. :thumbup:

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:02 pm

ohh, poor poor Poodle. that was driving me so crazy all night long!! :lol:

ha, Pi jumped off the sofa and hurried right up to the TV when the Boston was on. he stood there for a second, took a step back, sat down and kept his eye on that dog the whole time. :love:

meh, i truly do not know what i'm talking about or what i'm seeing but: i got to go to handling class with L a couple weeks ago. there was one other professional handler there working with a young Boxer and he was doing a GREAT job teaching the dog to walk with his head in the right position. he was using a long stick with a piece of chicken or cheese on the end, no yanking or anything, super smooth and comfortable and at the end of the down & back the dog gets the treat! the dog was having a great time. he worked with Fannie a little bit and she LOVED it. i'm supposed to start doing that with her but i told L i need to practice with some supervision first so i don't teach her any bad habits. i remember thinking show dogs looked SO miserable with those leads like that but now that i understand it a tiny bit (?) and see that the dog isn't 'pulling' i have a different feeling about it.

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:32 pm

... wondering if there isn't another way to get the dogs to gait with head up? Clicker training?
of course there is. I wouldn't doubt for a second that it would be possible to clicker-train the desired carriage; what I doubt is that all that many of the handlers have the skill or talent required to be able to train it that way successfully. It's more than just holding the head high, it's the entire body carriage, the speed and stride length the general balance. Time and motivation make it an even harder sell.
fwiw, nearly all of the show dogs I've had my hands on have been very responsive to the lead, similar to the "silky leash" training - and if you were able to actually go up and pluck at their lead while they were moving, you'd find it isn't actually as tight as it looks. Like a horse whose rider has good hands, a well-trained dog with a skilled handler is usually moving in contact but not under tension.
excellent description Kara!
CA UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
CAX UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GRCH HnrCH-B GCH "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
"Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

Return to “Community News, Events & Brags”