I'm back with the puppy!

This is the place to let people know about dog-related events, brag about successes and to submit news for the front page.
UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

I'm back with the puppy!

Postby UpwardDog » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:59 pm

I could write 20 paragraphs about my trip, the conference, meeting Q and all the cresteds but I'm the cumulative effect of 5 nights of 4 hrs sleep is making me soo snoozy.
In short, everything went really well. I had a fabulous, crazy, busy time. The cresteds are hilarious and their skin feels so warm. Many of them were waiting to pounce onto my lap as soon as I sat down some wanted to kiss my face, others just wanted to flop down for a cuddle.
Q needs to post some pics of Coco and Georgie who I decided were my favs for looks although Cookie and Polly are stunners too but we all knew that already.
When Q uses the phrase "puppy pile" she means it literally. They flop down on top of each other all intertwined. Both of the puff boys are ridiculously cute and snuggly. There were at least two hairless boys that stole my heart too. They feel like hot water bottles on your lap.
I made friends with two scaredy dogs Amy has in to try to learn that the world isn't such a scary place. The one sought me out a few times after our cuddle--blanking on the name now. I felt pretty special when the scaredy dog decided I was nice :grin:

Of all the dogs, the Rabbit won for best personality. She is soo full of herself. She knows she's adorable and she knows you think so too. I don't think she knows she's 11 pounds, or maybe she just knows that you can both rule and charm the world at any size. She has small super cute ears compared to a tyical CC.
Mabel, now Tricky, really only had eyes for Kara while I was there. When I arrived and was swarmed by the pack of dogs she came over to see what the fuss was about and then found a spot to fall asleep.
Flying was rough on Tricky and pretty much blew her mind. It was ridiculously hot sitting on the tarmac waiting to take off for a while I was pouring sweat and I'm sure in her bag it was much worse. She seems to be a lay beside you or at your feet kind of gal not a glued to your lap girl. She's very sweet, smart very keen on shaping/clicker games and insanely food motivated. She will be really fun to train, very excited to learn what makes you click and did I mention food motivated? lol

Poor Tricky had a stressful, long, hot, overwhelming travel day. She's pretty darned big to be stuffed into a 18x11x11 bag especially sitting in a sweltering plane parked on the tarmac. gah that was gross. She was so fried when we got here her heart was beating out of her chest and she'd held her pee 12 hrs and then peed a day's worth in her travel bag and was so mortified. I was somewhat too since the bag was on my lap and I got soaked too :lol:
I had the nicest seat mates on the plane who encouraged me to take her out which I eventually did--the flight attendants couldn't have cared less and poor scaredy dog just sat on my lap and kissed my seatmates salty arm.

Anyhoo...after a bit of a rough start she's settling in just fine starting to see some wee zoomies, a mini play bow, climbing onto the kid's laps to lick their hands and take treats. She's played with a toy with Griffin. She is soo easily bought with food. We've fed her a LOT of treats since she was unsure yesterday too. She's relaxed a ton since she got here and I am sure we haven't seen the real, full on playful side her yet.

Sammy is the absolute sweetest dog to a scared puppy. He melts my heart with his care and gentleness. He really went out of his way to help her settle in. Now that she's feeling better he's back to doing his own thing. Rosie gave her a tuning when she snarked in rosie's face from under my chair. Tricky was just scared and overreacting to things and Rosie had just leaned into have a sniff. Puppy cried big sad wails and hid under my bed for a few minutes and then got over it. It's all quite intriguing to watch.

The kids have been really really good and I'm really happy to see Tricky feeling brave enough to venture off into our playroom to investigate what the kids are doing/eating. It's going to be really fun to see her find her place in our family and feel like she belongs here.
My sister and her dh and kids and dog are coming to visit tomorrow and they'll be great for her. The kids are so gentle and their dog is old but very zoomie and fun (poodlish- cockerish).

Oh and Q the mystery woman and I hit it off great. We have tons in common but we already knew that from lots of messaging over the last while talking about all things crested and everything else too. I wish I had brought my camera and taken pics of the puppy pile and Kara and I but I was busy taking it all in, feeling nervous about flying with the pup and I'm pretty sure Kara shares my feelings about being photographed.

Zoomie was busy on her babymoon but I did get to see her and her pup. She and Rabbit are both much cuter IRL than in the pictures.
There's probably more but I'm falling asleep on teh key board.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: I'm back with the puppy!

Postby SherriA » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:45 pm

I was wondering when we were going to hear the whole adventure! I'm glad Tricky is settling in. You're going to have so much fun with her! We will need a lot of pictures once you're awake again.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:08 am

I'm glad you're home safely and Tricky is settling in.
Of course, the post is worthless without pics, but we'll let you catch up on a bit of sleep first! :grin:
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

Bettyna
Quite involved

Postby Bettyna » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:46 am

How exciting! Hello Tricky-Princess lollipop rainbow!!

And we gotta get some pictures soon...!!

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:49 am

Are you on FB? If so add me! http://www.facebook.com/heather.edgar.71?ref=tn_tnmn
I'm terrible about posting here but I've posted quite a few pics on FB.

my2cotons
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby my2cotons » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:57 am

Oh what fun! Well except for the trip part. :) But oh so worth it now, huh? Can't wait to see more and more pictures!

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:54 am

... The cresteds are hilarious ... Coco and Georgie who I decided were my favs for looks ... When Q uses the phrase "puppy pile" she means it literally. They flop down on top of each other all intertwined. Both of the puff boys are ridiculously cute and snuggly. There were at least two hairless boys that stole my heart too. They feel like hot water bottles on your lap.
I made friends with two scaredy dogs Amy has in to try to learn that the world isn't such a scary place. The one sought me out a few times after our cuddle--blanking on the name now. I felt pretty special when the scaredy dog decided I was nice :grin:

Of all the dogs, the Rabbit won for best personality. She is soo full of herself. She knows she's adorable and she knows you think so too. I don't think she knows she's 11 pounds, or maybe she just knows that you can both rule and charm the world at any size. She has small super cute ears compared to a tyical CC.
I just think it's funny that now when I relate some outlandish Rabbit story, at least one person on ODO can nod knowingly and say "yep, I can totally see her doing that." and understand when I complain about being smothered in dogs!
The snuggly hairless boys were Fella and Snickers. They're both little and very very sweet. It was Whisper that made such a leap from "ahh! scary stranger!" to "hello, friend!" - although scaredy Dee made several overtures also. Both of them really liked you and were much more comfortable than they usually are with new people.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:29 am

i've been waiting for you to post about your florida adventure!

Altamere sounds like so much fun & i'm so jealous you got to meet Q & Rabbit and everyone else live and in person. those little hairless mutants feel amazing, don't they?

sounds like Tricky is settling in really nicely. i'm glad to hear the kiddo's are having fun with her, i'm sure she's so happy! and sweet Sammy, such a good boy!

welcome home, Tricky pup!

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:44 am

Awww, thanks for the update! I was waiting to hear, and then was out all day yesterday. :)

What a big adventure for a little puppy. Can't wait to hear how she settles in. :)

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:14 pm

y'know, not once have I gotten any credit for resisting the urge to put a ludicrous pink lacy bow on the puppy for the first in-person meeting.
*is miffed*

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks for the detailed, now I can live vicariously update! :D She sounds like she's going to be a ton of fun :)

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:58 pm

Oh and I just had to add:

Love the name! :love:

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:14 pm

She's soo settled with my family now. She flipped her Schmidt when my sisters dog came bursting through the door. I 've also seen what i think that was a glimpse of the part terrier Q told me about. I suspect she's going to get one more tuning in by Rosie at some point lol Rosie is not going to have a little sister leaping in her face to steal a treat or shove her way in. Too funny.
She did great with the humans and eventually decided Scout was mostly fine as long as there are treats involved. Did I mention she is the goofiest creature on earth?
She's found her toy drive for chase and tug and is brave enough to attach herself to The toy in Sammy's mouth for some tug. He's only lowering to tugging with the brat if I'm tugging too.
She's figured out that Griffin is a great friend to have. It's cuteness overload around here.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:25 pm

Not goofiest creature, FOODIEST dang autocorrect doesn't speak dognerd.

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:30 pm

HA! There wasn't a single dog with a bow/ribbon or high pony tail.

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:39 pm

Fluffigail, Bitsy, and Dweedlebug are all wearing fresh ponytails today. hmmpphh.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:22 pm

It sounds great so far, and I just saw the funny video on FB on the nekkids playing with Tricky. I'm laughing at the foodiness and small dogs. Mine are so much so that their ears completely shut me out if food is in my hand. Should we be taking bets as to how long before Tricky wins Geoff over? She's totally adorable!

BassetLover
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby BassetLover » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:13 pm

Aww, I really want to see some pictures, Heather! I'm not on facebook though.....So excited for you and your new family member. Can't wait to hear more.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:05 pm

HOW DID I NOT SEE THIS UNTIL NOW?!?!??!???!?!?!??!??!
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:27 pm

Clearly you have not been checking in daily or stalking my FB. Tut tut.

I promise to learn to post pics. I actually have some really cute videos working with Tricky on handling and on off in hand/ no mugging.
Her wagging tail is HILARIOUS. It wags so HARD and so FAST and with no pause. The kids approach her crate and it goes THUMPTHUMPTHUMP it's like there's a 90 lb lab in there lol

I positively adore her and so does Griffin. Geoff thinks she's cute and what had initially seemed like a pout was actually a stomach bug lol . I'm so glad because nobody likes a pouty man and Geoff really isn't a pouter.

I have many funny Tricky stories already actually, just not much time to write them out! Ben's been sick, I have a wasp situation, school, pottying the pup, vet for Sam, catching up from being in FL. It's been busy.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:56 pm

I did see pics on FB, but I think FB only puts up random posts so I don't get the important news... only what so-and-so ate for brekfast and whether it was up to par.
Emily

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:30 pm

Ha that's so true. I spent some time setting FB up so I'd see all of the statuses of people I really want to follow and set others to "important updates only" or something. I have a few hidden too. If only that was a real life option

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:14 pm

ahh, i see. ya, i haven't put effort into that. i just get irritated when i see the same thing 50 times over.
Emily

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:02 pm

if you click (click on their name) through to the person's to their (stoopid ugly) timeline you should be able to see all their recent posts even if they didn't make the cut to your feed.

Return to “Community News, Events & Brags”