Not This Time

This is the place to let people know about dog-related events, brag about successes and to submit news for the front page.
Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Not This Time

Postby Bari » Fri May 27, 2011 8:02 pm

OK Gang, this is it. Sunday is Carnegie's and mine first foray into the AKC Rally ring and I am really excited. We have trained every day except today and I have studied the signs so much I now dream about them lol.

Whatever the outcome, I'm ready. We are also entering the ASCA trial on June 11th.

Fingers and paws crossed :)

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: First Real Trial

Postby SherriA » Fri May 27, 2011 8:05 pm

Good luck! You guys are going to have a blast :)

Lisa_LoveMyBCs
Quite involved

Postby Lisa_LoveMyBCs » Fri May 27, 2011 8:47 pm

Have fun and good luck! :)
Lisa and her BCs - Ben, Nan, Lad, and Nic (need to add his photo)

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Fri May 27, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm so proud of you and Carnegie, you have worked so hard. :) And I'm very much looking forward to cheering you on!

Paige
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Paige » Fri May 27, 2011 9:47 pm

Gooood luck! I can't wait to hear a trial report. You guys will rock their faces off. :)
Cash, LT and Soda. And some cats. Cats that are mean.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat May 28, 2011 4:21 am

Have fun! If you're seeing the signs in your sleep, I think you're well-prepared! ROFL

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Sat May 28, 2011 12:27 pm

Good luck!!

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Sat May 28, 2011 5:59 pm

Good luck and have fun. :)

Paige
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Paige » Sat May 28, 2011 7:32 pm

i thought it was today and was all excited to check in and see how ya'll did. I guess I have to wait another day! I'm super excited for you. :)

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Not This Time

Postby Bari » Sun May 29, 2011 6:47 pm

Not this time - there were too many distractions for him to handle. Two women were tossing their barbells to their dogs for practice just outside the ring in his line of vision and it freaked him out. They did come over and apologize. Also, some jerk walked up to us WHILE in the ring to take a picture of us. I felt like killing him :livid:

We need to work on his attention focus on ME. It was a wonderful two days and I'm glad we entered and we won't give up. I was relaxed and felt we would really Q.

The nicest thing was Rex, one of the stewards is a member of our club (and older gent who is 87 and stewards almost every weekend - amazing) was my biggest cheerleader (next to Sabine). He told the Judge it was my first trial and he was very patient but he could see how we were struggling so towards the end, he said we were finished.

Afterwards, when he was getting ready to leave, I went over to him and thanked him for a very positive experience. He said keep at it you'll get there.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Re: Not This Time

Postby Sabine » Sun May 29, 2011 7:11 pm

I'm so sorry it didn't work out. :(

You've made it this far though, if you can hang in there just a bit longer and work on some stuff a little more, the Q's will come.

I just looked up my trial records from when Quigley and I started rally, and it went like this for the first title: NQ, NQ, NQ, first leg, NQ, second leg, NQ, NQ, third leg.

We'll work out a good plan for you some time next week and I'm sure you'll do much better at the ASCA trial June 11th. :) There you'll have 2 tries in one day, so you can get a bit more ring experience.

Paige
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Paige » Sun May 29, 2011 7:40 pm

I'm super proud that you went and gave it your all! And I agree with Sabine that with more ring experience the Q's will come rolling in.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sun May 29, 2011 7:51 pm

I think it's great that you and Carnie have gotten this far! And I consider it a win that you even entered. Q's will come. :)

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Mon May 30, 2011 3:50 am

I think the experience you gained was very valuable. Keeping a dog focused with distractions present is every handler's challenge, and now you know how Carnie has reacted in that environment, you can work up some routines to have ready to get him to re-focus on you. :thumbup:

You will get Qs at future trials!

UpwardDog
No, I don't have a life!

Postby UpwardDog » Mon May 30, 2011 10:37 am

Next time for sure.
Sammy melted down completely his first time in the ring.I had to excuse us and re-collect him. He was TERRIFIED and lost his mind.
For whatever reason practice runs and fun runs are different and the real thing can leave you feeling like you are running a different dog. It's also worth mentioning that it can turn all the way around just as fast. We have gone from having to excuse ourselves to a perfect score in the same day. The seemingly littlest things can make a run fall apart soemtimes, so I am glad that you can see this is one to grow on and get back out there again. You two are a great team and have come a long way together.

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Mon May 30, 2011 11:15 am

There's a first time for everything. Chalk it up to the distractions and the new experience. I look at things like this as a time for learning, even if I've done that something a hundred times. Next time will be a completely new and different experience.

It is nice that your elderly steward recognized when you'd both had enough and took care of you. Also very cool that he's still active and involved.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Tue May 31, 2011 6:33 am

Well, I'm sorry to hear there aren't any legs for you, but I am so happy that you're taking this as a learning experience. After all, if it's not fun and a chance to improve, why do it? I wish I had more of your attitude.

Return to “Community News, Events & Brags”