Ambassador Havana

This is the place to let people know about dog-related events, brag about successes and to submit news for the front page.
Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Ambassador Havana

Postby Calypso » Mon May 09, 2011 9:37 am

Vani and I just got back from a dog safety lesson at Bug's school. I was very proud of how well Havana settled, although the relay race and baseball pitching during the outdoor gym class made it tough for her to just chill. I was smart to get their early enough to let her potty (and did she ever! Glad she goes on command) and then do a bit of obedience work with her before the kids got there.

Unfortunately Havana was not allowed inside the building so we were lucky the weather was nice.

Hopefully the kids will remember some of what we discussed. In addition to practicing nice petting on Havana, we came inside and had a PowerPoint presentation to see "happy dogs" and "dogs you don't want to pet" and then the kids wrote a dog fact on their "LollyPups" so they can have a "sweet" time when they play with dogs. It was fun. And hopefully Bug will settle down sometime this century - she was sooooooooooo excited.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Ambassador Havana

Postby SherriA » Mon May 09, 2011 9:54 am

I love that Bug's school was on board for this. It's such good information for kids to have. And Vani is such a good sport for helping. :thumbup:

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Mon May 09, 2011 11:28 am

Jill, did you put together your Powerpoint presentation? Next week is dog bite prevention week and I am going to be at a kid friendly event on Saturday. I have materials and a kid "quiz" about dog body language and such. I am hoping that I can do something in the libraries this summer and your idea of Powerpoint is great. So, that's why I am curious how you got yours together.

Moemer
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Moemer » Mon May 09, 2011 12:12 pm

That's excellent! Really an education that is soooo needed.
If I weren't afraid of kids myself I'd absolutely be involved in this sort of thing.
I remember being in early elementary school... nothing cooler than Mom coming, but Dog coming as well! Wow, good luck getting her to sleep any time this week!
Emily
Elsie (ACDX) and Arlo (FoxhoundX)

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Mon May 09, 2011 12:43 pm

Yay Havana! :love:

I'm so glad you have the opportunity to do that kind of education. It's sorely needed.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Mon May 09, 2011 5:29 pm

Robin - I thought about doing my own, but ultimately just decided it was worth it to buy the flashcard/ebook set at www.doggonecrazy.ca It was $25 and it's an instant download. I'm hoping that the presentation was good enough that the teacher talked it up so there will be interest for multiple classrooms next year, plus I'd love to do a similar talk for Wiggle and Sprout when they're in preschool and kindergarten. And when I'm ready to teach classes for myself I'll put together a press kit and donate time to many schools in the area. I just don't have time for that right now.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Mon May 09, 2011 5:31 pm

I am going to check that out,,,thank you! I am not one to reinvent the wheel for sure! I'd have to pay a graphics person a lot of money to put it together for me.

Return to “Community News, Events & Brags”