RAE legs 32 and 33

This is the place to let people know about dog-related events, brag about successes and to submit news for the front page.
Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

RAE legs 32 and 33

Postby Sabine » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:18 pm

I'm very excited to report on our first AKC trial this year. Things are going well, we scored 92 and 98 yesterday, taking third place in both classes, and 95 and 97 today, with a fourth place in Advanced - out of a 5-way tie!!!

I'm super-excited about this. When it comes to ties we usually end up losing out, since the "obedience heroes" with their super-performance BCs, Aussies etc. are fast and I usually need a little bit more time to keep my dog contained. If he gets too jacked up, he goes pogo-stick. :grin:

As a cherry on top, the above placements also netted us a total of 10 Front & Finish ranking points.

We also tried Open A again yesterday (I only entered for one day, as Quigley usually is not interested doing obedience 2 days in a row), and it was really too bad that he only did a half-assed sit instead of a down on his drop on recall, and needed a second command for the retrieve on flat. Group sit and down were perfect again this time. While I am a tiny bit disappointed, I'm not unhappy with how things went overall. Out of 8 teams, only one qualified, and it couldn't have been a more deserving person: my former obedience class mate Wendy and her IG Lexi, who earned their CDX!
Attachments
winterfest2011.jpg
winterfest2011.jpg (654.9 KiB) Viewed 2051 times

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: RAE legs 32 and 33

Postby Bari » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:32 pm

You finally broke that "tie" spell. Good job you guys :thumbup:

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:08 pm

Congratulations! Excellent work, both of you! I love Q and his ribbon pics. :grin:

Lisa_LoveMyBCs
Quite involved

Postby Lisa_LoveMyBCs » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:59 pm

Congrats!! :)
Lisa and her BCs - Ben, Nan, Lad, and Nic (need to add his photo)

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:00 pm

what a great start to the year!
and congrats to Wendy and Lexi, that' something to be very proud of!

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Congrats! Q looks tired in the second picture. I'm glad his sits and downs were good, even if he was less than stellar on his drop and retrieve.

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:57 pm

I do think he was a bit tired. lol It wouldn't surprise me.

We had our usual full moon hike (about 5 miles round trip, but he runs off leash and probably covers almost double the distance) Wednesday night and then I woke him up at 6 am two days in a row. :grin:

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:09 pm

Huge congrats to Team Q! This is a great start to the new year!

Ha Ha, he does look a little tired in his pictures. i guess it's hard work winning all those ribbons & having a social life! LOL

great job!

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:46 pm

Congratulations!!

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:52 am

Wow, those are some nice scores, congrats!

I get such a kick out of Quigley, he is a real character and that you have been able to accomplish this with him -- with all the wild cards he has in his deck and is liable to deal when he feels like it -- is a tremendous accomplishment, IMO. :thumbup:

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:45 pm

Thanks everybody! :)

Connie, while it can be frustrating at times, I'm always super-excited about our accomplishments because I never thought we would get this far - especially in obedience. And I will persevere, because I know he can do his exercises, it's just a matter of enough practice to do it at a trial.

While waiting around at the trial yesterday I talked to a former class mate who runs a Cairn Terrier, and she said she needed 21 tries to get her 3 qualifying scores for the CDX, and all of the Q's came near the end of that string of trials. After the U-CD she only competed in AKC anymore as far as I know.

We've had 3 tries total in AKC Open since 6/25/10 and in UKC 2 tries in 2009 (just to see where we were in training), 5 in 2010 and 2 in 2011. Additionally, 4 runs in Graduate Novice, with 2 legs toward the title. I'm confident that things will come together in time, and maybe Quigley can get a CDX for his birthday. :)

I think if I had a typical obedience breed, I wouldn't know what to do with myself! lol

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:07 pm

[quote=Mordanna]
I think if I had a typical obedience breed, I wouldn't know what to do with myself! lol [/quote]

Seriously! I was thinking that too -- I bet if you were to get a BC or an Aussie you'd be bored and you'd be wondering 'where's the challenge??' ROFL

I have never questioned the intelligence of terriers, but getting them to the level of responsiveness that will produce the desired behavior infallibly and on cue is not something that I see done very often, and most especially when it's not a 'natural' (i.e., istinctual) behavior for the breed.

Over and over again, I see the terrier owners drop out of beginner agility after the first few months of intro classes. But the trainers I know who choose terriers for their own dogs end up with some really impressive performers! My own agility trainer has two shelter dogs, and one is a terrier mix who looks a bit like Q-Man. Molly's a *star* agility dog but I think it's fair to say that she taught her owner a thing or two about training. :)

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:33 pm

[quote=connie]I have never questioned the intelligence of terriers, but getting them to the level of responsiveness that will produce the desired behavior infallibly and on cue is not something that I see done very often, and most especially when it's not a 'natural' (i.e., istinctual) behavior for the breed.[/quote]

They are dogs who were bred to work independently and don't care as much about pleasing a person as a breed developed to cooperate closely (e.g. herding dogs and retrievers). They find different things rewarding.

In that I am very fortunate, because Quigley is very un-terrier-typical - he does want to please me and it really shows.

Nevertheless, I do appreciate the work people put into training to the level where they are going for OTCH legs and maybe even an invitation to the NOI. At some point I would love to do that, but sadly it won't be with Quigley, as he's 9 already and I don't see AKC ever implementing the UKC-style veteran jump height thing. We'll continue to train though, and who knows, at some point I questioned whether we'd ever even try Open, maybe we will end up giving Utility a try as well?

As long as Quigley is having fun, we'll keep busy. Which brings me to a different topic that bugs me a little: every time people find out that he already has his RAE and we are working on more legs, people ask "but why"? Umm, because it's fun? Because I didn't work with my dog for years to get him ready for competition only to stop because we earned title X or Y? Sure, it would be nice if AKC gave us more rally titles to earn (like APDT, UKC and ASCA), but AKC is the venue that has the most events in my area.

I hear that on the East Coast it's different, but it seems like here most competition people don't take rally seriously. To me it's not just a gateway to obedience, I do rally for rally's sake. And I really hope that the RAC will make some changes after the next board meeting to give it more credibility.

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:30 pm

Congrats once again Quigley!
CA UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
CAX UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GRCH GCH "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

Trademarkbark
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Trademarkbark » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:33 pm

[quote=Mordanna]

I hear that on the East Coast it's different, but it seems like here most competition people don't take rally seriously. To me it's not just a gateway to obedience, I do rally for rally's sake. And I really hope that the RAC will make some changes after the next board meeting to give it more credibility. [/quote]

No, not really. Most obedience people see rally as a 'play' title - not real, and not respected. :( I personally know what goes into what you're doing and I'm very impressed! I was hoping the AKC would have done something by now to increase the "worth" of rally (ie, higher level titles) but I guess not ...
CA UFGRCH USCH GRCH "Spud" TT FDC CA CGC TKN
CAX UFGRCH USCH GRCH "OE" TT CA TKN FDC BCAT CGC
USCH UFCH GRCH GCH "Grytz" TT CGCU TKN FDC
CH "Doozy" FDC CGC TKN

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:59 pm

There are much bigger trials than over here though, and more people who actually go beyond the first ten QQs for a RAE. Quigley and me aside I only know of 4 or 5 other dogs (of people I've actually talked to at trials) who didn't stop after that.

We'll see what comes out of the RAC recommendations I guess. There was no board meeting in December, so as far as I know it will be discussed in the upcoming one. I hope they will implement the Rally Master at the very least.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:02 pm

Congrats to both of you!! I <3 Quigley. :)

Return to “Community News, Events & Brags”