Zuki graduated her level one obedience class!

This is the place to let people know about dog-related events, brag about successes and to submit news for the front page.
Nate

Zuki graduated her level one obedience class!

Postby Nate » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:30 pm

We've been working with her on obed stuff her whole life, but just recently found a place we felt comfortable. So here are a couple pics from last week and her certificate:

The instructor said that Zuki was a "delight" and we are just so proud of how well she reacts to everything we do with her. Pibble pride :D

So they had agility stuff out the last class so we could try it out. They've been kind of pushing us to get into it. Honestly I thought she was just too lazy for it. She'll do about anything I ask, but just to please me, not because she loves the work.

BUT - She really enjoyed it. She did everything they had out without hesitation, she even dug in on some things and wanted to go kind of fast through stuff - Made her dad run a bit on a couple sequences.

She really dug in on the tunnel, I was surprised, she did it almost fully extended and in a U shape by the end of the session. We did the jumps, about a 2 foot tall dog walk and then the weave poles. A lot of it is having people/dogs around and she just gets amped up to work harder if people are looking and strangers are happy to see her. So we may have a future in agility, the next class starts mid january and we're pumped to get into it!

Obi is doing fantastic, we started doing clicker training with him and he is really responding well to that. We're planning to take him to the open obedience at this place and get him desensitized to strange dogs then get him into an obedience class too.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading! You all are great!

Nate and the crew.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Re: Zuki graduated her level one obedience class!

Postby Sabine » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:33 pm

Congratulation, that's a great accomplishment! :)

I hope you'll get to enjoy agility!

QBert
No, I don't have a life!

Postby QBert » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:48 pm

Congratulations, that's great! It sounds like a wonderful group. Isn't it nice to find a place like that?

"Zuki graduated her level one obedience class, and succumbed to Tunnelsuck!"
^ fixed that for ya.

whiteboxerboy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby whiteboxerboy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:00 pm

aww, good girl zuki! you're making your daddy so proud!

great job, congrats to both of you.

very exciting about the agility, i hope you guys enjoy it, it sure sounds like a blast!

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:27 pm

Well done Nate and Zuki! Congratulations! She looks so sweet and proud of her diploma. :love:

Very cool that she had fun with the agility equipment. It will be great to hear how she does in class. I'll be looking forward to Obi updates too. :thumbup:

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:33 pm

Congratulations! It must feel so good to have someone call your dog a delight! And great news about Obi, too! You all deserve a treat! ;-)

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:40 pm

That's awesome for Zuki and you. Hope she will enjoy the agility since she loves to perform in front of people. Zuki and Obi are two lucky pups!

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:44 pm

Good job. She seems to have so many talents. I look forward to hearing more about her adventures :) She is beauty and brains.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:35 am

She is such a good girl, I have been struck by what a good girl she is ever since you first posted about her -- you got a real sweetheart. And she, of course, got the RIGHT home. Yay for that!!

I know she will enjoy agility. My Border Collie, Rowley, lives for sheep, and he does agility mostly for me and because we do it together; but he is very good at it, a natural athlete and he enjoys himself. Even if Zuki's big work is elsewhere, I think she will find agility a very fun hobby to do with you! And I am sure you will get to competition with her, which will be a lot of fun too.

Good for Obi, clicker training is such a great thing and really 'gets across' to dogs who might not have had great experience with relating to people. It clears out the emotion for one thing and is very calm and clear for the dog. A great confidence builder!

Lisa_LoveMyBCs
Quite involved

Postby Lisa_LoveMyBCs » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:00 am

Congratulations! :thumbup:
Lisa and her BCs - Ben, Nan, Lad, and Nic (need to add his photo)

Nate

Postby Nate » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:02 am

Thanks so much everyone! We're proud of our girl. I'd love to see her do therapy work, specifically those programs that have the kids read to the dogs. We had a couple pre-teens in the class and they brought their little brother to the last class and Zuki just lit up when she saw him. Ah, so many things to do.

You're exactly right Connie about the clicker training. So long as I do my part(stop when we're sucessful, and get my timing right) he learns quickly, especially since he's never had training, let alone much 1:1 focused time with people.

They're good dogs, and that's really wonderful.

Nate

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:43 am

I'm so glad you're having so much fun training her. What a great ambassador she and Obi are. :)

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:32 pm

Congratulations! That's awesome. I love the focus she has on you in the pictures. She's a really good girl. When we did agility, I had both of my dogs with me. I'd run Freddy and he'd be so proud of himself and revel in the attention of the other people there. Then I'd get Sadie out and she'd have to one-up her brother so she'd try really hard. It's funny how motivated they become when there's an audience or competition. :)

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:43 pm

[quote=Nate]Thanks so much everyone! We're proud of our girl. I'd love to see her do therapy work, specifically those programs that have the kids read to the dogs. We had a couple pre-teens in the class and they brought their little brother to the last class and Zuki just lit up when she saw him. Ah, so many things to do.

You're exactly right Connie about the clicker training. So long as I do my part(stop when we're sucessful, and get my timing right) he learns quickly, especially since he's never had training, let alone much 1:1 focused time with people.

They're good dogs, and that's really wonderful.

Nate [/quote]'

congrats in the biggest way! I have a friend here in ATL that is very involved with REading for Paws.....I think that would be so awesome....a Pit Bull getting ready too...it sounds so much like The Little Rascals! Love it! I am glad to hear about clicker training! I am a huge fan of it!

Nate

Postby Nate » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:01 pm

[quote=Amanda]Congratulations! That's awesome. I love the focus she has on you in the pictures. She's a really good girl. When we did agility, I had both of my dogs with me. I'd run Freddy and he'd be so proud of himself and revel in the attention of the other people there. Then I'd get Sadie out and she'd have to one-up her brother so she'd try really hard. It's funny how motivated they become when there's an audience or competition. :)[/quote]

I know right! it's so interesting because Zuki totally does turn it on for other people(audience dogs and people alike), and she is so easy to handle. It's fantastic cause I can have her be with the instructor while I go to the other end of the tunnel and she doesn't mind a bit...she's kinda easy(almost slutty lol) for people lol, which is how I wanted her to be.

Robin - I'd love to do that, I don't think she has the focus and training yet to be one, but I could imagine in a couple years when she gets past her puppy stuff that she could definitely settle into a therapy dog role. She LOVES people and kids, and has a super easy going temperament with pushy dogs and odd contraptions.

Nate

Return to “Community News, Events & Brags”