My dog is NOT flat!

This is the place to let people know about dog-related events, brag about successes and to submit news for the front page.
Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

My dog is NOT flat!

Postby Sabine » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:19 pm

Just a quick update before I go take a nap (I'm wiped out, looooong weekend!):

The Good News:
Quigley is now officially known as U-FO Mordanna's Quigley, RL1, CGC!

He passed UKC Family Obedience with a score of 85 points. In my opinion the choice of title initials on the side of UKC is a bit unfortunate. lol The event was fun though, even if I messed up on the loooong heeling pattern (which you have to memorize and the judge does not call).

As far as obedience goes, unfortunately we came home without any qualifying scores but we have some NQV's (Non-Q victories - I just made that up in line with you WW peoples' NSV's lol :grin):

1. Quigley did well at the stand for exam in all 4 trials, even with the male judge. In 2 we got no deductions, in one 1/2 point (not sure for what, no comment noted on the score sheet) and in one I made a handler error of giving the "stay" command after I had already moved one foot forward to leave my dog, which cost us 2 1/2 points and was entirely my fault though.

2. His heeling (both on and off leash) has dramatically improved, we certainly don't have that huge sniffing problem anymore, even though we still get the occasional tight leash. We just need a lot of fine tuning so he doesn't interfere as much with my left turns, and work more on not lagging on the off-leash heeling (he tends to forge on-leash and lag off-leash).

The sad part and reason why we did not Q in one single trial is that he got up from his Honor down every single darn time a few seconds into it. He didn't wander off or anything, just got up from his down and stood in place until the exercise was over. *sigh* After it happened for the first time, I practiced on the side of the training field and he didn't get up once, go figure.

As another negative "first" he also once broke the one-minute group sit (went down, then sat back up after a few seconds), something we've never had a problem with before. :bawl:

Oh well, the way I see it is that we'll get better each time we get our butts in the ring, so I want to do some matches and Show-N-Go's to work on it. :)

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: My dog is NOT flat!

Postby Jen » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:52 pm

Hooray for NQVs and congrats on the titles. :thumbup:

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:06 pm

Congratulations on the new title! Sounds like the "non-Q victories" outweighed the negatives, which is always great. Good job Quigley!

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:08 pm

CONGRATS! Sounds like a very successful weekend on the whole!

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:44 pm

Congrats! I was hoping you'd have a chance to check in tonight.

Pchan
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Pchan » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:12 pm

yay go quigley and mordy!!

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:17 pm

Sounds like quite a day. As if there was any doubt. I would like to try out for the the show and assist on Sunays. I think I have my mother and husband wrapped up for a couple of weekends and we do need the practice.

Will that work for you?

Glad you're back - I want stories.... :)

biscuit
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby biscuit » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:56 am

Congratulations! I am proud of both of you :thumbup:

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:21 am

Congratulations!!! Great job!

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:47 am

[quote=Bari] I think I have my mother and husband wrapped up for a couple of weekends ... [/quote]

I've been reading too many murder mysteries, because that sentence brought visions of duct tape, closets, and gags to my mind. :eek2: I'm pretty sure Bari meant something else, though!

Congratulations to Quigley and Mordy! Yay, and next time it will be ALL Q's!!! :thumbup:

BeccaIFBC
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby BeccaIFBC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:32 am

Yay Quigley! And all my dogs want one of those cool U-FO titles . . .between that and Connie's duct tape imaginings, this thread has quite a variety of genres going on - sci fi, mystery, and of course the heart warming animal story full of NSVs - I mean, NQV's.

Getting mileage is 75% of the game, for sure. I betcha anything the little boo-boos (on both your parts) are just mild stress related from the new venue. I do the same thing when I haven't trialed in a while and get back out. Doh! I was supposed to go left not right around the post?
Becca Shouse
Irena Farm, Pinnacle, NC

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:45 pm

Thanks everyone! :)

Bari, I don't think doing even more stuff on our "Home Turf" is going to be of much use. Quigley did everything just fine outside of the ring, and the FO is done entirely without a ring and he ha none of his "ring issues".

I think we need to hit some local matches and Show-N-Go's where I can actually work on things in unfamiliar settings and correct if needed. The problem is just that most clubs/groups use AKC rules and they don't include a Honor down.

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:01 pm

Two things - WTG to both of you! What a cool-io title. I like the NQV's - made me :grin:

Also... every time I read the title it's going through my head to say "My dog is NOT FAT". I can't seem to read it right. rofl
Laura & the Crazies:
Nick, Linc, Pia, June, and Ginger
RIP Zippy - January 11, 1994 to April 9, 2012

http://www.crooksandcrazies.blogspot.com

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:46 pm

[quote=Carson_Crazies]Also... every time I read the title it's going through my head to say "My dog is NOT FAT". I can't seem to read it right. rofl[/quote]

You know, I just realized I really dropped the ball on that one - since I forgot to mention in my initial post that in this house UFO's are "Unidentifiable Flattened Objects" (e.g. roadkill). rofl

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:50 pm

I've been trying to figure out your post title ever since I first read it! I thought maybe it was a German translation of UFO's or something. lol

cjs
No, I don't have a life!

Postby cjs » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:06 pm

Big congrats!!

just an idea...go practice your sits and downs in a pet store...you don't have to buy anything to be in there 'looking'. Worked wonders for Chiefy.

I thought you of you while I was down there this weekend.

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PaulaS » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:38 am

Thank goodness you explained the title...I didn't get it, either! :lol: Anyway, congrats on the UFO and the NQV. I think you guys did great, and you'll get 'em next time!

I love the idea of NQV, that's an awesome way of looking at it.
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex and Will

Sabine
Site Admin

Postby Sabine » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:04 pm

Marci - that's just it, our training classes are at a public park, right next to a tennis court and children's playground. It's not the distractions themselves we are lacking, he doesn't normally break his sits and downs. Not even when we practiced at the trial site did he break one single time while we were outside of the ring. I think we need a formal ring setting to practice more. :)

Paula - I had to laugh so hard about forgetting to put it in the original post, I guess it shows how tired I was. rofl

Panther
Site Admin

Postby Panther » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:03 am

[quote=Mordanna]UFO's are "Unidentifiable Flattened Objects" (e.g. roadkill)[/quote]
What else could it stand for?? I see them on the highway all the time!
Nobody ever seems to believe me though when I tell them about all the UFOs I see.

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:03 am

[quote=Panther][quote=Mordanna]UFO's are "Unidentifiable Flattened Objects" (e.g. roadkill)[/quote]
What else could it stand for?? I see them on the highway all the time!
Nobody ever seems to believe me though when I tell them about all the UFOs I see.
[/quote]

You should try living in Tennessee...I think we're the UFO capitol of the country. Too many 'possums!

Congratulations you guys! That is fantastic!

Return to “Community News, Events & Brags”