Recommendation for a Positive Reinforcement Book

Discuss dog books! Anything from training to holistic remedies, or even just dog-related fiction.
BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Recommendation for a Positive Reinforcement Book

Postby BarksaLot » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:08 pm

Does any one recommend a good positive reinforcement book, now we need to work on Smokey's behavioral issues.

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Recommendation for a Positive Reinforcement Book

Postby EllaBella » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:13 pm

Click to Calm by Emma Parsons is amazing!!!

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:32 pm

I second the vote for "Click to Calm". You'll probably have to order it from www.dogwise.com or www.amazon.com ( I love ordering froma amzon because of teh free shipping and low prices) It's not readily available in stores-- at least not near me.
I would also consider Pam Dennison's books about aggression. She's wonderful. I think the title of the one I would get is "How to right a dog gone wrong". "Bringing light to Shadow" is wonderful too- but not so much a 'how to' book as a story about her own aggressive dog.

in the mean time some great very short articles on aggression by Suzanne Clothier can be found at:

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/artlibreg.htm

also

http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/index.htm

A couple of other books just about dogs and positive method training in general that I love and think every dog owner should read are "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson and "The other end of the leash" by Patricia McConnell.

Emma Parson's has a "Click to Calm" yahoo group that you might want to check out too. I've heard it's wonderful and very supportive-- the moderator is someone who works with Emma in her reactive dog class.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:33 pm

I "third" that "Click to Calm" - even if you don't have a really reactive/aggressive dog, it still has great principles.

Kimboki
Quite involved

Postby Kimboki » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:50 pm

I "fourth" Click to Calm - It's an awesome read and the information is really practical for all different kinds of situations.

I also liked The Rosetta Bone and The Other End of the Leash - these both give good insight into canine-human interactions from the dog's perspective.

spiritdogs

Postby spiritdogs » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:40 pm

I like Pat Miller's "The Power of Positive Dog Training" a lot. And, "Click to Calm" is a nice easy read with great info.

Winter
Just popping in

Postby Winter » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:55 pm

I like "The Complete Idiots Guide to Positive Training" ... yes, I'm the idiot :)

Return to “Books & Literature”