anybody read the books by Stanley Coren?

Discuss dog books! Anything from training to holistic remedies, or even just dog-related fiction.
sammy
No, I don't have a life!

anybody read the books by Stanley Coren?

Postby sammy » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:39 pm

I was looking for my next dog related title- was thinking about "How to speak dog" by Stanley Coren
it got great reviews on Amazon.

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: anybody read the books by Stanley Coren?

Postby PaulaS » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:41 pm

No, but I thought I might, eventually.
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex and Will

Andria

Postby Andria » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:13 pm

I've read How to Speak Dog by Coren - I really liked it - I learned a lot about canine body language and how to read it...It was my first really interesting dog book read - I picked it up shortly after I adopted Siris - I'd definitely recommend it. He has another newer book out that I haven't read but it's on my list.

muckypup
Getting to know you

Postby muckypup » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:19 am

I have the book but I haven't got very far into it yet.

MattHartman
Just popping in

Postby MattHartman » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:32 pm

I know this is an old topic but I was thinking of checking the book out myself. Any more reviews? I've read many positive ones and one or two that are absolutely scathing.

MattHartman
Just popping in

Postby MattHartman » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:04 pm

Well no replies so I just purchased it from eBay. There's a guy with an animal bookstore in London (Ontario, about 4-5 hours from here) who sells it including tax and shipping for $15.97 Canadian. Much better than the $22 before tax at Chapters.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:41 am

I missed this the first time around. I read several years ago on vacation. It was good and I know I made some changes in my dog interactions, but I can't remember what they were now.

bunni
Getting to know you

Postby bunni » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:36 am

I've read all of Coren's books (I think) and I really liked them although there is a lot of overlap from one book to another and I can't always remember which things I read in which book. The one that does stand out, because it's a bit different, is The Paw Prints of History.

It's a hugely interesting book but I also consider it an important book given all the legislation proposed that will affect dogs. This book gives (among other things) some idea of what can happen when laws that sound like a good idea are actually implemented. I think anyone who is working for or against any legislation regarding dogs or who is talking or thinking about it, should read this book first.

Andria

Postby Andria » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:12 pm

Bunni, thanks for the tip on that book - I'm definitely going to check it out. We're dealing with BSL here in Ontario and I think it would be a great read. Coren has spoken out in the media against the decision that Ontario made as one of the "dog experts", and I really respect him for it.

jones
Regular

Postby jones » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:14 pm

I'm about 2/3 the way through How to Speak Dog. I'm loving it. It gives really detailed, specific explanations about all the little nuances of dog communcation, from vocalizations to body postures to tail positions and so on. There are so many little things my dog does that I never even really paid attention to until I saw them described and "translated" in this book. I thought I had read a lot about dog behavior before, but this gets into more depth with communcation behaviors. For instance, I didn't realize that tail wagging is a strictly communicative behavior - ie, if you feed your dog, he'll wag his tail to show pleasure or gratitude, but if he finds food in an empty room, he won't wag his tail without an audience. There's also a good deal of fascinating stuff about the co-evolution of dogs and humans.

Out of curiosity, what did the "scathing" reviews have to say (if you can recall)?

Return to “Books & Literature”