Easy Reads?

Discuss dog books! Anything from training to holistic remedies, or even just dog-related fiction.
Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Easy Reads?

Postby Calypso » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:54 pm

I need some recommendations for some training books that would be appropriate for middle schoolers. These will most likely be 7th and 8th grade students (11-14 years old or so?). Ian Dunbar's books are generally a pretty easy read, but I'd like a larger selection to put on the list. Ideally they're also books that could be found at the local library.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Easy Reads?

Postby sammy » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:18 pm

what about those "for dummies" books? They have a positive training book and a positive for puppies book I think. I love "for dummies" I had the wedding planning book and the pregnancy book-- both easy reads and great info.

what about that "kit " one? Do you know the one I mean? I think it made even be available online through Tardet. It's something like "the urban puppy kit" but I *think* it's got some really short, to the point poositive training stuff, maybe even clicker.I think it might be in the form of laminated cards?

I also like those behavior booklets-- I can't think of who put them out or what topics....maybe Patricia McConnell?

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:29 pm

I have a book called "Dogspeak" "from the editors of Pets Part of the Family" I got it for Christmas and haven't really read it yet, but it looks about middle-schoolish.

Also, I thought "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller was a pretty easy read, but maybe more toward the 14-16 age range than 11-14.

What All Good Dogs Should Know: The Sensible Way to Train by Jack Volhard is pretty easy (and even has cartoons) I no longer agree with everything it teaches, but it's generally positive training.

"Clicking with Your Dog" by Peg Tillman (I think) is also very easy to read.

Here's urban puppy's website http://www.urbanpuppy.com Is that what you were thinking of, Heather?

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:39 pm

yup. I think so.

Return to “Books & Literature”