Clicker Training for Obedience by Morgan Spector

Discuss dog books! Anything from training to holistic remedies, or even just dog-related fiction.
Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Clicker Training for Obedience by Morgan Spector

Postby Bari » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:03 am

I have just started this book and I think Mr. Spector hit the nail right on my head (ouch). He writes realistically about clicker training and I am very excited to try this out on Carnegie. I borrowed this copy from Mordanna but I am going to buy my own. It's definitely a good resource book to have. :)

2dogpack
Hopelessly addicted

Re: Clicker Training for Obedience by Morgan Spector

Postby 2dogpack » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:14 am

Just started this one too based on Mordanna's recommendation. So far, I really like it. It'll be slow going until I finish Paul Owen's The Dog Whisperer though.

EllaBella
No, I don't have a life!

Postby EllaBella » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:17 am

I love it!!!! It was the first clicker book I read, actually. Though I never made it through to the end--just because I'm not that into competitive obedience...I keep meaning to finish it though.

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:18 am

I started it because I wanted another option in my training program with Carnegie.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:43 pm

It's good eh?
I'll have to add it to me "to read " list.

Tracy
Quite involved

Postby Tracy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:03 pm

[quote=sammy]It's good eh?
I'll have to add it to me "to read " list.[/quote]

I have it somewhere, if you want to have a flip-through before you buy. It isn't my favorite, and I have to confess I haven't opened it in years. I want to keep it, but I could lend it out without missing it.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:07 pm

OH awesome. Geoff tells me I need to cutrtail my dog expenses a bit so that would be good.
How's rally? Were you the star again with your "nicest chessie ever" :grin:?

Tracy
Quite involved

Postby Tracy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:12 pm

Yes.

LOL! How's that for modest, huh? He was super-fantastic. Apparently maturity does make a difference. Mary was extremely complimentary of him last night, which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and a bit like a fraud all at once. Last night we met the moving sidestep, which he actually doesn't know how to do, but otherwise the rest of it just needs polishing.

Tracy
Quite involved

Postby Tracy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:59 am

I dug the book out last night. Couldn't find it at first, because I was looking everywhere that books usually lurk except on the living room bookshelf. Dunno why it was there, since that is usually where books go after they've been read recently, but there it was.

Had a quick look through and I remember why it isn't my favorite. It has a great section on theory - that's the beginning - so anyone who is interested in learning theory and clicker training would find that part good, but I don't agree with the specifics of how he trains some behaviours. There is too much emphasis on variable reinforcement and on target sticks. IMO, of course.

Targets are important, don't get me wrong, but I think target sticks are just another form of lure and I've never quite seen the point. Variable reinforcement is not something I do for the sake of doing it. It happens whenever you choose to selectively reinforce the best of a particular behaviour, but when I'm training something I prefer to use a constant reinforcement ratio and then either change my criteria or introduce varying rewards.

Heather, remind me the next time we'll be seeing each other and I'll bring it. Speaking of which, you're away this weekend, right? Do you ever do Terwillegar during the week, or just on weekends? I may go on Thursday afternoon (tomorrow, I guess - I have a hard time keeping track of the days) unless it is going to be too muddy. Whacko weather!

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:55 am

lol-- thats awesome. isn't rally fun? since you're a big star you'll have to enter that trial :grin:

typing one handed--i only do terwillegar on the weekends or babysitter fridays because it's a pretty long hike from my house.
i leave bright and early tomorrow morning for clicker expo , maybe we can figure a day on the qw/e after i get back? the w/e after that i'm away for herding.

Return to “Books & Literature”