The Culture Clash

Discuss dog books! Anything from training to holistic remedies, or even just dog-related fiction.
MoonStr80
Hopelessly addicted

The Culture Clash

Postby MoonStr80 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:37 pm

I highly recommend this book to you espcailly if you have a dominant aggression dog.

http://www.amazon.ca/Culture-Clash-Jean ... 1888047054

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: The Culture Clash

Postby Calypso » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:12 pm

I'm re-reading it for the 3rd or 4th time. Every time I read it I remember how helpful I always find it. I've "stolen" so much from Donaldson to use in my classes!

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:23 pm

I wish anyone who owned a dog would read Culture Clash. I've read it three times from start to finish.I still refer back to it. I personally liked the first edition better. I also got to see Jean Donaldson at her seminar in Calgary last fall and got my copy signed :grin: She was fabulous, sooo smart. I'm president of the Jean Donaldson fan club ;)

Lindsay
Getting to know you

Postby Lindsay » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:43 pm

Maybe I am the only one, but I had such a HARD time getting into it. I have attempted to read it many times and find that I am pushing myself just to make it through the first chapter. I was not impressed at all. I felt that there have been much better books written on the topic. Anyone else feel the same way? Or is it just me?

Tracy
Quite involved

Postby Tracy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:52 pm

I think the information in it is great but the tone the author takes turns me off. I've read it numerous times although my copy seems to have vanished and I can't remember lending it to anyone so I don't know where it is. I must have though because my Don't Shoot The Dog is missing too and I would have given them out together.

Back on topic, no Lindsay, you aren't the only one. In a way, anyway. If you haven't read it all the way through you should give it another go, but feel free to yell loudly when you get annoyed. Works for me. ;)

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:00 pm

Donaldson definitely has a in-your-face, somewhat scientific writing style, but if you can get past it, I think it's worth it. And it seems to me like the second edition tones that down a little bit. At least I'm getting through that version much more quickly this time around than I remember getting through the other times.

Lindsay
Getting to know you

Postby Lindsay » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:39 pm

Maybe I will try the newer one. Same title?

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:59 am

Yep. Instead of the black and white drawings on the front it has a photograph of a woman and a dog.

luvarescue
No, I don't have a life!

Postby luvarescue » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:04 am

I thought it was good, not great. Kinda dry.

BuddysParents
Regular

Postby BuddysParents » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:44 pm

OK, I have a confession, I have tried to read it twice and everyone says is sooo good, but I can't get past the first few pages? I'm all for learning and reading anything 'dog' and this book comes highly recommended by so many. but.. I'm stumped!

luvarescue
No, I don't have a life!

Postby luvarescue » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:23 pm

I liked the Other End of the Leash much better. I am currently reading Bones Would Rain from the Sky, and it is totally blowing me away. I'll have to start another thread about it.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:25 pm

I loved The Culture Clash (my edition is red with a black and white picture on it, I think?), but it did take me 'til the 2nd chapter or so before I really got into it. So if you're getting stuck on the first few pages, maybe give it a few more?

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:40 pm

I think it might be the most appealing to people who already have a good understanding about operant conditioning and dog behavior and might be a bit of a slog for people who either don't find those topics interesting or for whom much of the content is new. Operant conditioninig described by anyone can be a bit technical and dry. I do think it's very well worth it to push past the beginning and the good stuff is further in. Just like any book, it might take a bit to "get into it". I did find the first edition with the black and white profile images way more entertaining. I got it out from my local library.

TOEOTL is certainly more readable but less important content IMO.

Some of it is just personal interest. I tried to read Coppinger's book on Canine evolution because I'd heard it's sooo good and I found it sooooo dry and soooo lengthy.I felt like he just went ON and ON and ON and ON. I forced myself to slog through it and some bits of it were true gems and very interesting but holy smokes I wished someone would give me the Coles notes version. :blush:

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:04 pm

I am still working on Culture Clash; I had what I like to call a "textbook" reaction to it. It made me feel like I was reading a textbook for a class, so I automatically stopped enjoying it! Very dry and verbose...but I find as I slowly make my way through it that it is quite enlightening. I have to be in a very alert mood to open it, though, otherwise I start nodding off or my mind starts wandering and I don't remember an entire page I just read!

spiritdogs

Postby spiritdogs » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:44 pm

I think that the reason people like it is that the info is so good, but I admit that's once you get past her style of writing.
To me, Pat Miller has a nicer style and says many of the same things in a more lighthearted and human-friendly way.
I do think that Donaldson's book is worth the read, though.

Return to “Books & Literature”