Top 3 "must reads"

Discuss dog books! Anything from training to holistic remedies, or even just dog-related fiction.
Kimboki
Quite involved

Top 3 "must reads"

Postby Kimboki » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:52 am

I'm getting ready to order a few books online and was browsing through this section looking for some good recommendations. Would anyone care to share their top "must reads"?

:reading:

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Top 3 "must reads"

Postby sammy » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:21 am

are you thinking dog related books or fiction?

Kimboki
Quite involved

Postby Kimboki » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:30 am

Oops, sorry I should have been more specific. I was thinking dog-related...behavior, training, etc. There are so many good ones out there, I'm having a touch time making a decision!

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PaulaS » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:04 am

My two faves are "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell and "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson. I think every dog owner should read these two. I don't know what I'd recommend next. I haven't done much reading lately...I've been reading the same book for months now.
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex and Will

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:02 am

I finished "Dogs" by the Coppingers, "Mine" (a small booklet) by Jean Donaldson and I'm now reading "Bones Would Rain from the Sky" by Suzanne Clothier, which I am enjoying very much, so far (she was me as a kid) :)

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:44 am

Bones Would Rain from the Sky made me think a lot. Jean Donaldson's The Culture Clash is a good one. Either of Pat Miller's training books is a good general training resource. Patricia McConnell has a new book out, but I haven't read it yet.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:31 pm

I second Paula's choices. Culture Clash and TOEOTL are by far my two favs. I think Culture Clash should be required reading for all dog owners- it's fabulous. I LOVE Jean Donaldson- got to see her seminar last year- she is brilliant. I prefer the old edition of Culkture Clash to the new one- if you can find an old edition at the library, it's more entertaining than the new toned down , more PC version.

Sorry you asked for three......ummmm my vote for #3 would depend where you interests lie. Don't Shoot the dog is a famous one that most people seem to love. Pat Miller's Power of positive dog training also. If you have a dog with "issues" I really like Pamela Dennison's books. If you are into agility I like Shaping Success by Susan Garrett.
FYI if you go to www.dogwise.com you can read the first page or two, see the table of contents etc.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:28 pm

Here are a few of the ones I really like:

Dogs: A Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior & Evolution
Raymond & Lorna Coppinger

I think this book offers a lot of very specific information about dogs, how they evolved, and how they are different from wolves. In my opinion it's a really good foundation for "general dog knowledge". I find myself referencing it a lot. :)

Raw Meaty Bones Promote Health
Tom Lonsdale

I like this book not just for its information on raw feeding, but especially for the information about the commercial pet food industry that isn't commonly known, and the attempts of this industry to stop Dr. Lonsdale's whistleblowing and how the veterinary community reacted to his findings about the state of health of pets today.

The Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat
Juliette de Bairacli Levy

This is a great book about natural feeding & care, but I also find Juliette as a person a very fascinating character.

Colleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Colleen » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:18 pm

You didn't mention anything about holistic health...but, these are my favorites.

Healing Pets with Nature's Miracle Cures by Henry Pasternak, DVM, CVA
He really has some good information..thanks bari for sending this ;)

The Holistic dog book by Allegretti & Sommers
Great for quick reference and for learning the basics of acupressure

Herbs for Pets by Wulff-Tilford, Tilford
Great reference guide for herbs and conditions

I 3rd the recommendation for Dogs by Raymond Coppinger. I ordered it by mistake many years ago...found it a good read and great reference. I learned a great deal about predatory motor patterns, how purebred dogs were created etc. Very interesting. :grin:

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:29 pm

I ordered Dogs by Coppinger and I slogged through most of it. I found much of it sooooo dry and sooooo lengthy. I also felt like he contradicted himself a little. I dunno, I guess if you're reeeeally interested in the origin of dogs , how they evolved etc it's probably a wonderful book. Parts of it I thought were very interesting but much of it I forced myself to read because people here liked it so much so I thought it MUST be good LOL I felt like I was back in school. lol

Kimboki
Quite involved

Postby Kimboki » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:02 pm

Thanks guys...These are all great recommendations!

I don't read too much anymore - I just can't seem to find (err...make) the time. After reading the "other end of the leash" on a recent trip I was inspired to pick up some others.

Anyway, really appreciate these suggestions. Other than OEOTL I don't have too many recommendations myself although I'm in the middle of "four paws, five directions" and am finding it quite interesting.

:D
Kim

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:28 pm

If you want fiction that has a golden retreiver as a lead character in it that is a thriller, get "The Watcher" by Dean Koontz. That is one of the best books I have ever read. I could not put it down. :)

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:04 pm

[quote=Kimboki]Thanks guys...These are all great recommendations!

I don't read too much anymore - I just can't seem to find (err...make) the time. After reading the "other end of the leash" on a recent trip I was inspired to pick up some others.

Anyway, really appreciate these suggestions. Other than OEOTL I don't have too many recommendations myself although I'm in the middle of "four paws, five directions" and am finding it quite interesting.

:D
Kim [/quote]

Kim, That's the book I am reading too....I am really liking it so far.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:33 am

Fun to read: "The Truth About Dogs" by Stephen Budiansky, and "Dog's Best Friend" by Mark Derr.

Excellent training and general dog book: "Natural Dog Training" by Kevin Behan.

Excellent canine health book: "The Nature of Animal Healing" by Dr. Martin Goldstein.

Best reference book: "Herbs for Pets" by Mary Wulff-Tilford and Greg Tilford.

Classic: "The Herbal Handbook for Dog and Cat" by Juliette de Bairacli Levy.

Everyone should read: "What Vets Don't Tell You About Vaccines" by Catherine O'Driscoll.

Return to “Books & Literature”