Marley and Me?

Discuss dog books! Anything from training to holistic remedies, or even just dog-related fiction.
Slicks_Mom
Hopelessly addicted

Marley and Me?

Postby Slicks_Mom » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:44 am

Did anyone read it? I read it on vacation and I didn't like it as much as I thought I would! The ending did have me sobbing hysterically and cursing the fact that I read the stupid thing. I basically enjoyed it but didn't find it to be as well written as I expected.. I also lost ALL respect (I mean ALL) for the author and his wife for the Disney World thing.

OH! and for those of you who remember some of my Monkey escapades, I sincerely thought to myself that Marley had NOTHING on Monkey!! haha

Anyone else like it? dislike it?

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Marley and Me?

Postby sammy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:06 am

It was an enjoyable read but ITA it wasn't as great as I had heard. I was pissed at him for blaming his dog for his ineptitudes at training and I wanted to kill him for boarding him when he was obviously not fit for it. It did have some very funny moments though.

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:08 am

I have it, but haven't read it yet. Somehow these types of things have a tendency to make me sob uncontrollably, and then I'm mad at the world for DAYS afterwards. Is it that kind of book??
Laura & the Crazies:
Nick, Linc, Pia, June, and Ginger
RIP Zippy - January 11, 1994 to April 9, 2012

http://www.crooksandcrazies.blogspot.com

agilebcs
Quite involved

Postby agilebcs » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:20 am

I read it and liked it. It's pretty light reading. Many parts were laugh out loud funny but some things made me cringe (inexperienced dog owner stuff). Cried at the end.

Slicks_Mom
Hopelessly addicted

Postby Slicks_Mom » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:34 am

I have it, but haven't read it yet. Somehow these types of things have a tendency to make me sob uncontrollably, and then I'm mad at the world for DAYS afterwards. Is it that kind of book??
It was for me. I was literally one sob away from full-on hyperventilating at the end. Many of my tears were for the sudden realization that <OMG> Slicky is going to get old and there is NOTHING I can do about it. I think it's worth reading Laura, it's really so quick you can almost read it in one go. Just (seriously) make sure that you are in a "safe place" when you near the end! haha. i.e. do not finish this book in a public place.

I wasn't too upset by the novice dog owner stuff. For me, their ignorance was countered by the fact that they were not uptight when it came to the kids being with the dog. I really liked that about them. I will NEVER forgive them for the boarding incident, however.

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:58 am

Gee, I just ordered it - do I want to read it now? These are mixed reviews.

Mary

Postby Mary » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:39 am

Just read it, it's worth it I think. Some parts made me cringe and I freaked DH out when I cried at the end (he just didn't get it)

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PaulaS » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:06 am

I had already heard about the Disney World bit, and refuse to read it based on that, alone. And of course, I'm not all about the sobbing...
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex and Will

Jodi
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Jodi » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:50 am

I read this on the plane when I went out to buy Spirit. I came home and immediately gave it to my hubby to read. We both enjoyed the book for what it was. My husband cried at the end... on the train coming home from work He is such a softie!

Carson_Crazies
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Carson_Crazies » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:04 pm

I'll read it. I'll probably cry like a girl though. I even cry at commercials on TV.
Laura & the Crazies:
Nick, Linc, Pia, June, and Ginger
RIP Zippy - January 11, 1994 to April 9, 2012

http://www.crooksandcrazies.blogspot.com

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:51 pm

I even cry at commercials on TV.

I am rather emotional this week... I cried at the Lowe's commercial when they take their son to college. How lame am I??

*end hijack*
I read the book... I also couldn't stand the Disney World thing... among other things.... I don't want to mention them all as spoilers, but I believe that they are all mentioned in our previous thread about this book. It's worth the read though.

myguys
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby myguys » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:25 pm

I liked the book, and you will cry a lot. But dog savvy or not I think he did a good job, he never gave up on him, and you have to give him a lot of credit for when his wife was going through her *#^@#%# most husbands would of done what she said to do. But there was NOWAY he was going to.

Slicks_Mom
Hopelessly addicted

Postby Slicks_Mom » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:01 pm

I liked the book, and you will cry a lot. But dog savvy or not I think he did a good job, he never gave up on him, and you have to give him a lot of credit for when his wife was going through her *#^@#%# most husbands would of done what she said to do. But there was NOWAY he was going to.
Yeah, I agree. He never gave up on him and many people would have. Heck, his wife DID give up on him. I actually think he did a pretty good job for John Q Public. There were many things that I simply did not understand, even for JQP though: The Disney World thing, the fact that he was EVER left alone during storms, some of the treatment of Sr. Marley..

myguys
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby myguys » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:21 pm

True, and he never did learn his lesson about leaving poor Marley alone during a storm did he. I had a golden that was terrified of fireworks, and once I knew that, he was NEVER left home alone the first week of July.

Andria

Postby Andria » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:13 am

My dog is terrified of storms but I can't be with her at all times, and I don't know when it's going to storm. I also don't want to coddle her when it's storming as I think it reinforces the behaviour and I don't want anyone else coddling her either. Siris is terrified in storms if she's alone or if you're there - doesn't matter to her. I try to desensitize her and she's not as bad as she once was, but she'll never be a calm normal dog if there's a storm happening. The DisneyWorld thing - absolutely sucked. But storms? I get that one.

Slicks_Mom
Hopelessly addicted

Postby Slicks_Mom » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:04 am

My dog is terrified of storms but I can't be with her at all times, and I don't know when it's going to storm. I also don't want to coddle her when it's storming as I think it reinforces the behaviour and I don't want anyone else coddling her either. Siris is terrified in storms if she's alone or if you're there - doesn't matter to her. I try to desensitize her and she's not as bad as she once was, but she'll never be a calm normal dog if there's a storm happening. The DisneyWorld thing - absolutely sucked. But storms? I get that one.
The thing that bothered me about Marley being left alone during a storm is the EXTREME reaction he had. He wasn't just nervous, he physically injured himself every time. They would return to him covered in blood for crying out loud - this compared to him being needy and drooly if they stayed home. That would be no contest for me.

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:37 am

I think I felt like they could have just done more to help Marley with his fear--I mean, none of us could reasonably expect to always be there with our dogs when a storm comes through, but we would all take measures to help our dogs deal with storms when we aren't there. Whether it's through desensitization, herbal or conventional medications, confinement in a safe area, etc...we'd try to help our dogs the best way we knew how. I know I myself was a very inexperienced dog owner when I got Pepper, so I can understand some of the things the author did (except the Disney thing--I could never live with myself if I had done something like that.) What bothered me was the fact that he didn't seem to learn anything from his mistakes or try to really educate himself, and the way he wrote about the things he did wrong made me think he'd do the same things all over again. I think he needs to do some reading in some our favorite educational "dog books" before he tries to raise another puppy!

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:17 am

What bothered me was the fact that he didn't seem to learn anything from his mistakes or try to really educate himself, and the way he wrote about the things he did wrong made me think he'd do the same things all over again.
Man, totally. I haven't read the book because this was the jist that I was getting from others and reviews. Plus, the Disney thing. I didn't want to "reward" this author by purchasing his book...but I'm a Professional Boycotter. I haven't read it in a similar way that I TOTALLY IGNORE a "look at me!" asshole in a "look at me!" car. They always look around to see if anyone is looking at them, and I just refuse to give it to them. Man, I'm MEAN!

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PaulaS » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:51 am

Man, totally. I haven't read the book because this was the jist that I was getting from others and reviews. Plus, the Disney thing. I didn't want to "reward" this author by purchasing his book...

Man, totally, from me, too. I'm not a professional boycotter, but there are some things I'll "stick to my guns" about. (plus I'm a stubborn beyotch)
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex and Will

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:25 am

Ok, now I'm really conflicted about this book. I've ordered it but it hasn't come yet but I've read so much negative reviews here that I guess I'll skip it. I don't have the time to read a book I know I'm not going to like.

Slicks_Mom
Hopelessly addicted

Postby Slicks_Mom » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:28 am

Man, totally. I haven't read the book because this was the jist that I was getting from others and reviews. Plus, the Disney thing. I didn't want to "reward" this author by purchasing his book...

Man, totally, from me, too. I'm not a professional boycotter, but there are some things I'll "stick to my guns" about. (plus I'm a stubborn beyotch)
Yeah, I hear you guys. I didn't realize all the "wrongs" until I'd read the book. Everyone just told me it was great and that I HAD to read it. I'm glad I did and knowing what I know now after having read it - I'd still read it! It was about life with a naughty Lab afterall.. How could I possibly resist?

Oh and NN, I'm with you. I absolutely REFUSE to look at people who are dying to be looked at. Even when I really want to! A rather extreme example comes to mind - years ago it became *legal* for women to go *topless* in NYC. Well of course, nobody ever does - but in the midst of all the hubbub I did actually spot a few (haha, no pun intended). They were of the "dying to be looked at" variety. Despite my shock I held my chest tightly and looked away. oooooh.. I showed them!

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:12 pm

oooooh.. I showed them!
HAHAHA! I know, I'm not sure how much I'm actually "showin' them!" but it's very satisfying for me to deprive them of attention. Yeah! That's funny about the topless thing...kind of.

Return to “Books & Literature”