The Dogs Who Found Me By Ken Foster

Discuss dog books! Anything from training to holistic remedies, or even just dog-related fiction.
Andria

The Dogs Who Found Me By Ken Foster

Postby Andria » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:32 am

I ordered The Dogs who Found Me and it's going to arrive tomorrow. I am so excited to read it.

It's a memoir about the different stray dogs the author has come around and his efforts to take care of them and rehome them and how they help him through a bunch of traumatic events - Sept 11, his own heart condition, Katrina, etc. Many of the dogs are pitbulls. I can't believe someone wrote a memoir about pitbull rescue and I just found out about it now!

He's got a blog here that tells the stories of the dogs, and if you want to read an excerpt from the book this is what sold me on it right here It's the story of Valentino, an abandoned pitty he found at a gas station and couldn't walk away from.

The subject matter and his writing style are right up my alley - god, I sound like a commercial for this book and I haven't even read it yet!

Has anyone read it? Thoughts? If not, anyone want to read along with me?
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: The Dogs Who Found Me By Ken Foster

Postby PaulaS » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:59 am

I almost bought that book, but I got "Bones Would Rain From the Sky" instead. It looks good, let us know what you think.
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex and Will

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:34 am

I'd love to read it, but I'm so backed up on my reading that it may not be for a little while. I also have to make sure my mind is prepared for any animal reading, since I tend to cry the whole time, even if it's not sad.

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:38 am

I'm backed up too. I will get the book but I don't know when I'll get to read it. I'm still reading Animals in Translation and glancing through Dogs by the Coppingers.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:58 pm

I just ordered 4 dog books from amazon.ca. Keep us posted on what you think of the book. The cover is sooo cute.

myguys
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby myguys » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:11 pm

I didn't even know this forum was here. I've been looking for a new book to read, I haven't read anything since Marley and Me and I loved it!!! I'm going to amazon right now to look up some of the books you all have read or suggested. Thanks

Andria

Postby Andria » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:21 am

Just finished reading it and it's a really quick read, but a great one. Not nearly as much of a tear jerker as Marley & Me - not to say that I didn't cry, but mostly they were happy tears, reading about happy endings. I absolutely love this author - man does he *get* dogs.

myguys
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby myguys » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:26 pm

Glad to hear that, I just ordered it, and was worried it might have a lot of stories in it that I would not be able to read.

spiritdogs

Postby spiritdogs » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:50 am

Andria, I wish you could send a copy to each of your elected officials - I notice you are from Ontario where dogs like Valentino are banned...

Andria

Postby Andria » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:52 am

HA! Not like they'll read it! They've already gotten a lot of correspondence from me on the subject of BSL - trust me, but it's a good idea. I'm kinda short on the cash and I don't want to give up my own copy since I have a feeling I'll be re-reading it in the future, but you've given me a good idea - I might contact the author and see if he'd sell me a handful at a discount or send them directly to the elected officials themselves - he does a lot of rescue & anti-BSL stuff himself so he'd probably be up for it.

Our BSL has been challenged in court as unconsitutional and we are still awaiting on a ruling, for anyone who has been following the Ontario BSL saga. Trial was in late May and we expect it will be August at the earliest before a decision is made as to whether or not the legislation can be overruled or at least amended.

Dana
Regular

Postby Dana » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:37 pm

I loved it! I did not want it to end

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:14 pm

Definitely adding this one to my 'to read' list! Thanks Andria!

Return to “Books & Literature”