Animals in Translation

Discuss dog books! Anything from training to holistic remedies, or even just dog-related fiction.
amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Animals in Translation

Postby amyzon » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:42 pm

by Temple Grandin...anyone read this? A friend just loaned it to me and I'm getting ready to start it.

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: Animals in Translation

Postby Bari » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:02 pm

I just received it yesterday. Great minds think alike. I have an Autistic grandson and he has an amazing German Shepherd named Heidi.

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:08 pm

It is a good book and worth reading, other then the comment about Collies being needle nosed air heads.

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:13 pm

Oh no. I had a tri color rough coat named Freddy when I was around 13. Minus 1 point for the book.

jones
Regular

Postby jones » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:36 pm

I read it (I think last winter?) and it was really interesting... more as insight in the mind of an autistic person than as insight into the minds of animals. I think a lot of what she says about canine genetics and behavior is way off, some of it obviously so (mutts are healthier and more stable dogs, for eg). However, it's totally worth reading and I admire her work with humane meatpacking & slaughter.

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:05 pm

It was an amazing book. I don't completely agree with everything she says, but it is fascinating. Her work really helped me to understand Beamish better.

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:47 pm

I'm definitely looking forward to reading it. My friend said the same thing about it being a real insight into the mind of an autistic person. I did read about the work she's done in improving slaughterhouse methods (even for KFC and other fast food chains) and was impressed. Autism is a fascinating disease (I hesitate to even call it a disease--I think it may be just a name we have given to minds too advanced, or too complex, for us to comprehend.)

I will definitely deduct a point automatically for the needle nosed airheaded collie comment. Perhaps she got outsmarted by a collie and just got pissed off...

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:51 pm

Autisim is not a "disease" it is a brain disorder. The brain functions are wired diferently than a "normal" person. If caught early enough, like my grandson before he turned 1 1/2, it can be treated but not cured.

Johnny went through extensive speech therapy and went to a special school for autistic kids, at all levels. Thanks to my wonderful daughter who was so on top of this, and with the help of Heidi, my grand-dog, Johnny can now communicate and speak. His diction is better than Hunter's and Hunter will be 6 in July. I can't wait to read this book.

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:20 am

Bari, I didn't mean 'disease' in the literal sense...I was just at a loss for words when I was typing! Hope I made that clear in my clarification...but you're right, 'disorder' would have been the proper medical term to use there.

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:25 am

No worries.

So, are we doing to read this book this month? I'm starting today...

I'm also just finishing a non-dog book "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd . A+++++++++.

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:39 am

Dunno...what do you guys think? Teags, wanna give this one a try??

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:59 am

Well,

I'm going to start anyway...I'm always on the hunt for good books to read - Dog and Non-dog

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:02 am

Shoot. I went to BN to spend my gift cards from Christmas. It was a book I meant to buy but I totally forgot and spent most of my money on Sudoku puzzle books.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:20 am

No worries.

So, are we doing to read this book this month? I'm starting today...

I'm also just finishing a non-dog book "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd . A+++++++++.
Oh I LOVED that book!!

I tried to read Temple Grandin's book "Thinking in pictures" and I found it really hard to read her writing style. I knew it would be an interesting book- I'm just too sleepy at night for it

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:20 pm

I am *so* slowly making my way through this book. I haven't had much reading time, and I catch myself rereading paragraphs because the flow of the thoughts is so different--I'm not complaining, it may just take me a while to finish this one! So far I really like the book, and already it's reinforcing how looking at the world from an animal's perspective gives you a whole new understanding of so many things.

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:02 pm

I'm about half way through. I find the book fasinating but it is a bit slow and I don't want to miss anything. Let's catch up when we are done.

Return to “Books & Literature”