Dog Cancer Survival Guide

Discuss dog books! Anything from training to holistic remedies, or even just dog-related fiction.
JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Dog Cancer Survival Guide

Postby JudyL » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:28 pm

Has anyone heard of this book or this author?

Dog Cancer Survival Guide by Demien Dressler, DVM

or his blog: http://www.dogcancerblog.com/

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Dog Cancer Survival Guide

Postby JudyL » Sun May 27, 2012 6:19 pm

I wanted to update here that I purchased this book and have found it extremely helpful. It is an easy to understand, comprehensive guide that discusses causes, stages, conventional and holistic treatments, specifics about each type of cancer, being a dog's guardian, accessing your options, and more. In addition to this, it details the mechanisms cancer uses to develop and spread, and with this understanding the author makes his points for using certain therapies, diet suggestions including foods to avoid, and gives recommendations for using specific neutraceuticals and other supplements while avoiding others.

One of the things I've found very helpful are the appendices for the neutraceuticals and the supplements listed in a hierarchy by importance and segregated by use, and the list of excluded supplements not recommended and the reasons for their exclusion.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone that has a dog with cancer. I feel more confident after reading most of it, and I know that if Dixie's cancer shows up on a future scan, that I'll be able to make more informed choices for her care.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sun May 27, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks for the recommendation, Judy. There's a beagle on another board that was just diagnosed and her people have been asking for recommendations. they don't want to do the recommended radiation on a 10 year old beagle when the tumor is close to the brain, so they're looking for alternatives. I've already recommended Connie's site & book, and I'll add this one to the list.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sun May 27, 2012 7:56 pm

That's good to know, thanks, Judy! :thumbup:

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Mon May 28, 2012 7:25 am

Thanks for the recommendation, Judy. I'm adding it to my list, too. I also recommend Connie's book, and one other that I found very helpful called "Help your dog fight cancer: An overview of Home Care Options" by Laurie Kaplan. It is a very easy but very helpful and comprehensive read.
Mom to Maggie, Emma and Allie, and occasional foster mom. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie and Mitzi.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Mon May 28, 2012 1:28 pm

I found this book useful, particularly when combining treatments with chemo or radiation:
http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Guide-Pre ... 1577315197

I think in general though, the Dog Cancer Survival Guide linked above is probably more useful.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

JudyL
No, I don't have a life!

Postby JudyL » Mon May 28, 2012 3:48 pm

Messonnier's book that LisaT linked to was the first one that I read, and I found it useful as well. Messonnier's book goes into more details of the herbals that Dressler doesn't cover. It is certainly an easier read, gives practical advice, and gives hope that even with a diagnosis of cancer there are things that can be tried.

Return to “Books & Literature”