Bedlam Book Club?

Discuss dog books! Anything from training to holistic remedies, or even just dog-related fiction.
Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Bedlam Book Club?

Postby Jen » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:57 am

How is this going to work? Do we start reading our book now, and then in a few days there will be discussion questions? Or do we just comment on things that strike us as we read them? I've never been in a book discussion group, unless you count all those English classes in school.

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Re: Bedlam Book Club?

Postby amyzon » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:36 pm

Oops! I'm already halfway through it...I couldn't wait when it came in the mail!

debbie
Regular

Postby debbie » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:25 am

I think that's a good way to do it, I've never been in one either, I started reading it too but I 've be marking things w/ postits. I love it so far

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:26 pm

I'm almost done I can't wait to hear what people's reactions will be to a few things. guess I'd better not say which parts in case it spoils it for someone. I am enjoying the book- Jon Katz is an interesting guy.

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PaulaS » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:13 am

I'm slow, as usual! I just got it yesterday, and will start reading on my lunch break today.

I'm looking forward to it.
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex and Will

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PaulaS » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:15 am

I'm halfway done already! I'm really enjoying it. Well, except for one part that made me go "hmmmm" (I'm sure you guys might know which part I'm referring to).

C'mon Teags! What's the plan?
Paula

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:28 am

I came across a few things that made me go "hmmm!" But I liked the book overall. I've finished it, but I'm going back and reading it again to look for some deeper meaning and symbolism in a few areas. I'm really bad to "skim read" and just hit the high points!

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:16 pm

Well, except for one part that made me go "hmmmm" (I'm sure you guys might know which part I'm referring to).

I actually just started reading it a couple days ago (had to find a copy!) I had this quotation in the back of my mind as I read, and I kept thinking "oh, this must be the part Paula meant." Then I would read on and say, "oh, no, THIS must be the part." Lots of parts made me go "hmmmm"

I'm enjoying it, but I just realized I'm going to be GONE most of this book club!

C'mon, Teagan, let's get the discussion going before I leave!

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PaulaS » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:07 pm

You guys are right, there ended up being more than one thing that made me go "hmmm", but there's that one biggie...

I'm done, btw, but I should go back and put sticky notes on the stuff I wanted to mention, before I forget.
Paula

debbie
Regular

Postby debbie » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:01 am

I'm not done yet but I'm hmmm ing my butt off. and crying and laughing, guess that makes it a good read anyway.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:41 am

So can we start talking about the things that make you go hmmmm?
I don't think I'll spoil anything for anyone who isn't at this part yet--
What chapter are y'all on?

is one of the things that made you go hmmm his chapter about meeting the fan at a book signing, what happens after and what he says about "dog people"?

debbie
Regular

Postby debbie » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:16 am

That was one of them, not a biggy though.
When do we start I loved the book

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PaulaS » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:21 pm

My biggest issue was the rehoming of Homer. I just couldn't get on board with that decision. What did you guys think?

(Hope it's ok to post that, I figure we're all done reading by now)
Paula

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:59 pm

I think rehoming Homer was the right decision. I think it was the decision that gave him the happiest life. Have you read TOEOTL? Patricia McConnel talks about rehoming dogs and it gave me lots of food for thought.

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:23 pm

I loved the book; although I had a hard time with the Homer rehoming too. I do think he did what was ultimately best for Homer, but it seemed like Homer was kind of hurt and confused. I had a harder time with his thoughts on "dog people" and the worship he seemed to have for veterinarian approved dog foods. He didn't seem to think much of home prepared or premium dog foods. There were times he seemed almost two faced--as though he felt the need to proclaim himself not a dog person, but then he'd turn right around and do something very 'dog-personish,' for lack of a better term!

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PaulaS » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:24 pm

Yes, I have read TOEOTL. I know rehoming can be the right answer, and I know Homer sounded happy in his new home. I'm just not convinced that he couldn't have been happy in his current home, too. I thought maybe Katz took the easy way out, instead of working harder to keep his dog.
Paula

debbie
Regular

Postby debbie » Mon May 01, 2006 2:03 pm

I really loved the book, I miss the farm now that I am done, he did a lot of really stupid things, the worst being re-homing Homer, I too thought once he reconized the problems and hurt in the dog he should have worked with him more, but I think his thinking was that it was Rosie and Orson, who weren't cutting Homer any slack so in that case I then think it was a really selfless act on his part, and that Homer is better off being an only dog.
I too had a problem w/ the dog people crack but I think he is a hypocrite and in denial about himself, he is a dog person too.
I did like his style of writting and the story.

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Mon May 01, 2006 2:42 pm

I didn't get a chance to read the book with you guys this time around, but I know the story about Homer from his column in Slate. I too, felt really sad (I *always* cry when I read dog stories, no matter what! ) about it. Nevertheless, whether or not he tried as hard as I think he could have, if he wasn't willing/ready to make the changes for Homer to be happier -- and if his neighbor/friend *was* -- then I think Homer would be happiest in his new environment. Sometimes admitting your limitations can be the best thing for animals; it's not easy!

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Mon May 01, 2006 4:57 pm

I thought maybe Katz took the easy way out, instead of working harder to keep his dog.

You know, Paula, I've been thinking about this more and it's been needling me, because deep down I got the same feeling. I was glad Homer was happy in the new place, but I went back and reread that part and it seems like it wouldn't have taken a great deal of effort to help Homer be happier with him. It was almost like, "well, Homer isn't going to fit in and make for a good story, so I'd better just stick with Rose and Orson because they have more personality. Homer's just ignoring me. I can't write a book about making Orson and Rosie be nice to Homer; this book's about my adventures on the farm with my sheepherding dogs."

debbie
Regular

Postby debbie » Wed May 03, 2006 3:45 pm

Amy I agree 100% w/ your thinking on Homer, and I waffled back and forth but now anyway I look at it as it was the best decision for Homer, whether it was is unwillingness to work w/ them or his lack of knowledge.
Another part that got me was in the prologue, at a book signing when the woman says after finding out that he will be writing more books about dogs, "Then I have a favor," she said, "assuming it doesn't violate your ethics. Write a book in which no dog dies. At my age, it really matters."
God could I relate to that statement.

debbie
Regular

Postby debbie » Wed May 03, 2006 4:17 pm

Hey where is Bunni? she got me into this. and she and I have already had this discussion about rehoming regarding my Trixie.

Panda
Quite involved

Postby Panda » Thu May 04, 2006 7:43 pm

I'm sorry guys ... I'm a complete loser! I was in Chicago last week for work and am going out of town again early tomorrow morning so things have been a little crazy here lately. The poor pups have spent more time at the boarding kennel than they have at home lately.

So keep the great discussion going without me and I promise to be a better organizer for the next one!!!

Return to “Books & Literature”