can't find the old thread on this topic so....

Discuss dog books! Anything from training to holistic remedies, or even just dog-related fiction.
sammy
No, I don't have a life!

can't find the old thread on this topic so....

Postby sammy » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:31 pm

What are your all time fav dog books? (behavior / training / fiction / misc )

How about your fav novel?

I really need to start a list of book I want. I can always think of them when I've already got a book on the go-- but I just finished my book and can't remember -- I thought some of you were raving about books you received for Christmas.

Oh-- my pics
My two fav dog book are Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson and The other end of the leash by Patricia MacConnel (sp?) I was so sad when I finished TOEOTL

I think my fav novel was Tales of the city by Armistead Maupin

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: can't find the old thread on this topic so....

Postby Jen » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:04 pm

What are your all time fav dog books? (behavior / training / fiction / misc )

Fiction: Where the Red Fern Grows

Behavior/Training: These aren't going to do you much good to create a list, but TOEOTL and Culture Clash. Just finished TOEOTL and felt the same way about it as you did - sad to be done. She has such a good way of saying (as we used to say in school) "well, duh" without actually saying "well, duh" It was like being taught about dogs by a good friend.

Reading Culture Clash right now and loving it!

How about your fav novel?

Hmmm, how will we define fav? Multiple reads? Then that has to be the Merlin trilogy by Mary Stewart or the Starbridge series by Susan Howatch. Both series have been read MANY times - they're like my comfort novels. Novel that I return to and get something different out of each time? The Chosen by Chaim Potok Fav children's novel? The Narnia series, Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, and Wind in the Willows and fav contemporary novel at the moment? The Kite Runner

oh, and I can't believe I forgot these three: Brave New World, 1984, and Pride and Prejudice.

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Re: can't find the old thread on this topic so....

Postby Sabine » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:36 am

favorite dog books?

well, TOEOTL is among them of course, so i son't have to elaborate on it.

another one i really like, and which confirmed and strenghtened many of my ideas and beliefs about dog behavior and nutrition that some people tend to dispute , is raymond and lorna coppinger's book "dogs: a new understanding of canine origin, behavior and evolution". i first read it when kathleen lent me her copy but bought it myself because it's such a great book and a valuable resource.

and while i don't see eye to eye with all of her ideas, "the complete herbal handbook for the dog and cat" by juliette de bairacli levy is also an interesting, useful resource. it's kind of funny that so many of the "raw feeding zealots" (you know the kind who will tell you if you ever feed your dog anything but raw meat and bones, he will die a miserable death :roll:) celebrate her as the pioneer of raw feeding but then go right ahead and disregard half of her teachings.

in regards to training, i really like morgan spector's "clicker training for obedience: shaping top performance - positively". i'm fortunate that my obedience instructor bases much of her classes on these principles. it's not only a good book for anyone who wants to do competitive obediene, but also for those people who just want to train the standard commands for "household use" with a positive method.

Return to “Books & Literature”