What's on your "to read" list?

Discuss dog books! Anything from training to holistic remedies, or even just dog-related fiction.
Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

What's on your "to read" list?

Postby Calypso » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:55 pm

I'm assuming I'm not the only one who has a stack of dog books to get through!

I bought the new edition of Jean Donaldson's The Culture Clash and am reading Dogs Bite: But Balloons and Slippers are More Dangerous by Janis Bradley. It's very interesting. Not the easiest read because it's a lot of studies and numbers (Bradley must follow Donaldson's call for more science in dog training), but a must read for anyone who's concerned about breed specific legislation.

I also have Remembering to Breathe by William Bailey and Outwitting Dogs by Terry Ryan.

I'll be busy! Good thing I can now read while I nurse Baby Bug. That gives me an extra 40 minutes or so a day to read.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Re: What's on your "to read" list?

Postby Amanda » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:59 pm

I got Marley and Me for Christmas. It's about an out of control Lab and how he wiggles his way into his owners hearts. I think it's fictional, but may as well be true for a lot of owners.

I need to read some more books like Culture Clash and the like... but I'm involved in a lot of fictional novels that I can't put down.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:08 pm

I'm reading "the other end of the leash" patricia McConnell. It's a great book but I can only read for 5 minutes before I fall asleep so it's taking a while.
Before that I was reading "Fast food nation" but that put me to sleep in 10 seconds
What I really need is something a little spicy to read at bedtime

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:52 pm

What I really need is something a little spicy to read at bedtime
I just finished reading Emily Carmichael's A New Leash on Life . (I'm addicted to romantic fiction...) The author has a decent understanding of what it's like to train and trial dogs.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:20 pm

dogs & spice?? EXCELLENT!

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:47 pm

I got Marley and Me for Christmas. It's about an out of control Lab and how he wiggles his way into his owners hearts. I think it's fictional, but may as well be true for a lot of owners.

I need to read some more books like Culture Clash and the like... but I'm involved in a lot of fictional novels that I can't put down.
Amanda, I just finished Marley and Me...I think it's a true story; he thanks Marley in the acknowledgement at the end of the book. Just a word of warning: have a big box of tissues handy! That book made me both laugh out loud and cry like a baby. I enjoyed every second of it though.

I'm working on the new Culture Clash...I really like it, but I'm having to reread things as I go to really understand it at times.

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:55 am

I'm not a big dog book fan, but I'm still getting through Shaping Success by Susan Garrett. This is a great book for all, regardless of whether or not you are involved in dog sports.

Kathleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Kathleen » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:59 am

Shaping Success is on my list. A friend bought it so I have to wait for her to finish it, before she will loan it to me.

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PaulaS » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:43 am

Believe it or not, I don't have anything on my list. I'm getting some good ideas from you guys, though.
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex and Will

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:39 pm

i've ordered "before and after you get your puppy" by ian dunbar, so i can translate it for my mom, since she'll have to train a new puppy this summer for the first time since we got our dane in 1980.

i also ordered some of monica segal's booklets.

Cathy
Too much time on my hands

Postby Cathy » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:23 am

I also am reading Marley and Me -- the author has some strange ideas about how to pick out a puppy and train a dog, but I'm on chap. 5 and am laughing out loud a lot. Marley is kind of a monster, but so loveable too. Some of the things he does are exactly the same as things Maggie does. It's very well written, so I'm getting through it quickly. I read an article about the book after it was given to me but before I decided to actually read it and Marley is a real dog - naughty to the extreme and loveable.

yessi
Regular

Postby yessi » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:02 pm

I read Marley and Me and I have to say it actually made me laugh out loud. I made the mistake of taking it with me when I went to visit DH's family for the holidays. We had a 2 hour delay in Orlando and I decided to finish off the book. Big mistake since I was surrounded by people who were probably wondering why I insisted on reading a book that was making me cry

Other than that, I'm a dork over romance novels

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:07 pm

Cathy, I thought he had some wierd ideas on training and such too. A couple of his tactics even made me a little mad, but I couldn't stay that way when it was so obvious how Marley had stolen his heart...I completely cackled at times because so many of Marley's puppy antics reminded me of Pepper too. It's definitely a book anyone who's ever raised a spirited dog will appreciate!

Jodi
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Jodi » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:10 am

ok, you guys have convinced me! I am going to get this one....

TruRose
Just popping in

Postby TruRose » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:10 am

Ooooh, lots of good books here.

My brother bought "The Seven Ages Of Your Dog" by Jan Fennell for my birthday, so I need to get around to reading that, and I've also been forgetting "Getting In Touch With Your Dog" by Linda Tellington Jones, I bought it three months ago and still it sits in my shelf...

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:57 am

I just got Culture Clash 2nd Ed. and Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin. Temple taught a few of my behavior lectures in college, so I'm really looking forward to reading that book!

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:12 am

I just got The Other End of the Leash and Culture Clash. I'm halfway through TOEotL and driving my husband crazy by reading him entire passages regularly. He actually tried one of her suggestions on Roscoe and had to call me on the cell phone to tell me it worked, though.

I can't believe I didn't read this sooner!! I'm looking forward to Culture Clash.

Cathy
Too much time on my hands

Postby Cathy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:36 am

Beware: Spoiler for "Marley and Me" to follow ---

I finally finished this book and I am so pissed off at the guy who wrote it. Why did he put an old, frail Marley in a kennel knowing damn well that he always came back from the kennel gaunt and not well??? THEN, after he had the bloat issue at the kennel and the poor thing almost died, HE SENT HIM BACK AGAIN. FOR A TRIP TO DISNEY WORLD. I'm so mad at that man.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:13 pm

I agree... a trip to Disney World when you know the dog is ill? How about a baby gate at the bottom/top of the stairs so the dog doesn't try it on his own and fall?? He could have easily helped Marley up and down all flights of stairs. Not to mention letting a deaf, old dog off leash at night to get lost?? So many worse things could have happened to him. Yeah... not exactly the world's best dog owner.

amyzon
No, I don't have a life!

Postby amyzon » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:56 pm

Yeah... not exactly the world's best dog owner.

True...the guy definitely had alot to learn. I didn't want to give the ending away because I was totally in love with Marley and I knew you guys would get a big kick out of reading about his antics...what a dog...I just had to tell myself that the author was ignorant to alot of stuff, but loved Marley in his own way. Not my way, though.

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:08 am

I do think he's representative of a lot of owners out there. In fact, I remember my dogs growing up weren't inside dogs. My grandparents didn't have inside dogs either even though my grandpa is a dog person and loves my kids to pieces. (They are allowed inside when they go stay with them.) And no one but me and maybe one uncle make plans with our dogs in mind. So, I guess it's really not all that surprising. But when you read the book and fall in love with the dog, it's hard to hear how he was treated knowing you would never have treated your dog that way.

Soleil
Just popping in

Postby Soleil » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:44 pm

Well, after reading this thread- I went out and purchased 'Marley and Me'. I have a pretty thick skin, and don't tend to get choked up very easily- but I BAWLED at the end- huge, air gulping sobs that had my pooches cocking their heads and looking at me strangely... I thought it was a great book.
I have also finished reading 'One at a Time'- about a typical week in an american animal shelter. I thought that it was a good wake up call for those people who so easily criticise what animal care workers have to see every day. I have to be honest though- I didn't cry, but most others I've spoken to did...

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:47 pm

If you want a "spicy" book to read, get Dean Koontz' book
"Watchers" - it is so good you may not put it down. It's about a very special golden retreiver. It's kind of spooky.

Another good book is "The Dog Listener" by Jan Fennell. It's not a novel but it is a good tool to have.

Return to “Books & Literature”