We finished it -- Sander's Book is available!

Discuss dog books! Anything from training to holistic remedies, or even just dog-related fiction.
connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Re: We finished it -- Sander's Book is available!

Postby connie » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:43 am

I'm in the process of getting quotes for the print book. I hope it doesn't cost the earth -- I just bought a new washer and dryer! :eek2:

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:51 am

Oh man, you mean you didn't get the all-in-one book printer-binder-and-washer-and-dryer-and-murphy bed-and-sheltie-multiplying-fax machine model????? Sheesh.

:grin:

vivilee

Postby vivilee » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:36 pm

I would look into contacting non-profit, charity groups who publish a lot of material and see if they would be willing to put through your book. Perhaps a canine cancer awareness group www.caninecancerawareness.org or alternative therapy group for canines. They may be able to refer you to a printer.

Also, it may be a stretch but the cancer-sniffing dog group may also be willing to help out. www.pinestreetfoundation.org

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:00 pm

[quote=vivilee]I would look into contacting non-profit, charity groups who publish a lot of material and see if they would be willing to put through your book. Perhaps a canine cancer awareness group www.caninecancerawareness.org or alternative therapy group for canines. They may be able to refer you to a printer.

Also, it may be a stretch but the cancer-sniffing dog group may also be willing to help out. www.pinestreetfoundation.org [/quote]

Heh heh ... I tried that route, not with those groups, but with a non-profit organization that raises and trains assistance dogs. They were fine until they read the book, and then they said that it "might cause some disagreement in the veterinary community" and they didn't want their name associated with it. I completely understand.

I will see what the local printer comes back with as a quote. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

Catherine O'Driscoll, of the Canine Health Concern in Great Britain, will very likely sell the e-book on her website, with all proceeds going to the CHC. The proceeds from the sales on Sander's website will be donated by me to a dog-related charity, and the profits from the sale of the print book -- after printing and shipping costs -- will be too.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:01 pm

[quote=MaisyPancakes]Oh man, you mean you didn't get the all-in-one book printer-binder-and-washer-and-dryer-and-murphy bed-and-sheltie-multiplying-fax machine model????? Sheesh.

:grin: [/quote]

I didn't even get a washer and dryer that will launder Shelties! I think I got ripped off! :grin:

biscuit
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby biscuit » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:00 pm

How can this not be perfect, you and Nana!

I can't wait to read this. Congratulations.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:22 pm

I couldn't wait for the print version so I just purchased the ebook. It's beautiful! Nana did a fabulous job. I'm really looking forward to reading it, and I'll be buying a hard copy that I can share as well...and maybe a few for gifts too. Connie, thanks so much for sharing all that you learned with Sander. So many people and dogs will benefit from this, I'm sure.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:17 am

Sherri, I'm really glad you liked it!

Okay, I went to the printer today and paid the man, and as soon as they get the file from Nana the Wonder Designer they will start printing, and I should have BOOKS BY NEXT WEEK! YAY!

You all had better buy them, because I simply do NOT have room in my little house to store 500 unsold books! rofl

They are wire-spiral bound and they are the size of an 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of paper folded in half. The blank dummy book they gave me is quite cute. It looks like those cookbooks you buy at fundraisers, you know? Except this is a cookbook for dog health! :thumbup:

Anyone who bought the e-book and wants a print book, PM or e-mail me for the special rate I mentioned earlier. Any other orders for print books should be directed to me at shetlands@fastmail.fm. I can't do credit cards, sorry; it will have to be PayPal or personal check.

sheltienut
Just popping in

Postby sheltienut » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:08 pm

Yay! I've been waiting for it to come out in print. Going to check if my paypal account is still active now....

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:20 am

connie, are you taking orders then? how much is the regular rate for the print version?

for the new year I re-read Sander's story....it's always very inspiring to me. Perhaps moreso as Indy ages.....
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:56 am

LisaT, once the books are in Connie's hands, we'll put up a "buy" button on the website, just as we did on the e-Book. :D Connie had a very generous ODO discount for those who bought the eBook, but I believe still had to work out the pricing for shipping, etc., for the regular rate.

I sent off the files to the printer on Friday and got no "WTF is this" call, so I'm assuming it's all good! Connie will be doing press checks since I'm not in the area. (Although, it would be fun to fly in for it... :grin: )

So exciting!! :love: :love: :love:

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:19 pm

Thanks for the heads up :)

I can't wait to see the print version -- you two should be very proud of yourselves!!
Max-n-Indy

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:41 pm

[quote=MaisyPancakes]LisaT, once the books are in Connie's hands, we'll put up a "buy" button on the website, just as we did on the e-Book. :D Connie had a very generous ODO discount for those who bought the eBook, but I believe still had to work out the pricing for shipping, etc., for the regular rate.

I sent off the files to the printer on Friday and got no "WTF is this" call, so I'm assuming it's all good! Connie will be doing press checks since I'm not in the area. (Although, it would be fun to fly in for it... :grin: )

So exciting!! :love: :love: :love: [/quote]

Oooh, yes, you should come to Chicago for this -- but MP would have to come too! OMG, can you picture her reaction to the Cacophony of Shelties in my house! rofl

I haven't had any calls from the printer either, so no news is good news.

By the way, I have commitments from four local businesses to sell the book:
The knitting store
The art gallery
The dog bakery
The online bookstore

Yeah, they're all run by neighbors/friends, but hey, that's networking! Oh, and one of the business owners gave me the name of a publicist in the neighborhood, so I think I will call her and see if we can work something out. Sander deserves fame. :love:

ETA: Another local business -- the music store -- will sell the book too. Yay!

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:41 pm

Oooh, yes, you should come to Chicago for this -- but MP would have to come too! OMG, can you picture her reaction to the Cacophony of Shelties in my house!
OMG, if MP hung out with your C of Shelties, she'd either become forever corrupted and unfixable, or become the most perfect dog in the world with zero problems, ever. It's one or the other. Should I give it a shot?! :lol:

That ROCKS that you're finding all kinds of places for the book! OMG! Networking is pretty much all you need. Seriously! My whole business is based on word-of-mouth clients. Local rocks. So cool.

Good luck with the publicist!!! Yeah!!!!

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:27 pm

I can't wait for my copy - a signed copy, I hope :)

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:20 am

Okay! The printer called me yesterday, and after a good deal of confusion caused by him confusing pages with sheets, and trying to almost double the estimated price :eek2: -- he called back today and said 'oops, never mind' and I can go in tomorrow and review the book and okay it for printing.

So, it should be ready by this time next week! I am SO excited, and I re-read the whole thing the other day and thought 'gosh, I'd buy this!' -- so I do hope that it gets out there and starts making its way around the dog world.

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:08 am

I want an autographed copy too! These will be great xmas gift ideas this year!

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:09 am

[quote=connie][quote=MaisyPancakes]LisaT, once the books are in Connie's hands, we'll put up a "buy" button on the website, just as we did on the e-Book. :D Connie had a very generous ODO discount for those who bought the eBook, but I believe still had to work out the pricing for shipping, etc., for the regular rate.

So exciting!! :love: :love: :love: [/quote]

Oooh, yes, you should come to Chicago for this -- but MP would have to come too! OMG, can you picture her reaction to the Cacophony of Shelties in my house! rofl

I haven't had any calls from the printer either, so no news is good news.

By the way, I have commitments from four local businesses to sell the book:
The knitting store
The art gallery
The dog bakery
The online bookstore

Yeah, they're all run by neighbors/friends, but hey, that's networking! Oh, and one of the business owners gave me the name of a publicist in the neighborhood, so I think I will call her and see if we can work something out. Sander deserves fame. :love:

ETA: Another local business -- the music store -- will sell the book too. Yay! [/quote]

Connie, I will advertise your book on my site as well.....we will get he word out!

MaisyPancakes
Permanent Resident

Postby MaisyPancakes » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:33 pm

Yaaaaay! Can't wait! I would have done more than the :eek2: face at the mess they thought they were giving you!! When I was reading about it, I totally yelled out, "Nuh uhhh! WTF?!!!!" Then it was all okay in the end.

I hope the press check goes OK. The colors should look very much like it does on your Mac.

Yayayay!

Jodi
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Jodi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:36 pm

Connie - I would love to get a copy and then order enough for the puppy kits for Desi's next litter. :)

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:16 pm

[quote=Jodi]Connie - I would love to get a copy and then order enough for the puppy kits for Desi's next litter. :) [/quote]

Aw, that is a really nice idea!

I just put an update in NDR about my meeting with the PR people. Jodi, she is talking about interviews on WGN and getting mentions in the Tribune and Sun-Times! Wouldn't that be a hoot?!

She said I am a "natural" -- I think she means that I can talk about Sander for hours on end. LOL!

Jodi
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Jodi » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:11 pm

Let me know where you will be appearing... I will come and lend my support! Can I put a link on my website? If so do you have a banner or something to email to me.

I really loved the book and I think that it deserves to be out in the mainstream.

emmas_mom
No, I don't have a life!

Postby emmas_mom » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:31 pm

Connie, I've probably missed it somewhere in this thread or another, but is the print version now available and if so, where do we order it from? (Sorry, I haven't had a lot of time on ODO lately - I'm sure this info is here somewhere, I just can't find it!!! And I want a copy and so do my friends!!)

Jean
Mom to Maggie. Ever remembering Sadie, Charley, Caleb, Belle, Oliver, Shiloh, Eddie, Mitzi, Allie and Emma.
My blog: http://www.mylifewiththecritters.blogspot.com

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:48 pm

[quote=emmas_mom]Connie, I've probably missed it somewhere in this thread or another, but is the print version now available and if so, where do we order it from? (Sorry, I haven't had a lot of time on ODO lately - I'm sure this info is here somewhere, I just can't find it!!! And I want a copy and so do my friends!!)

Jean [/quote]

The print version will be available on February 4, according to the printer!

I have a list of people who have expressed interest in buying a copy and I will PM them when I have the books. You're on that list. :thumbup:

Give Caleb a hug from the Shelties in Chicago!

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:49 pm

[quote=Jodi] If so do you have a banner or something to email to me.

[/quote]

Hey, that sounds like something Nana the Wizard Web Designer could whip up! I will ask her!

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:27 am

If Nana makes you a banner, I want it too so that I can put a link on my site and in my blog. Connie, you gonna write a press release for us?

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:40 pm

[quote=connie]...She said I am a "natural" -- I think she means that I can talk about Sander for hours on end. LOL! [/quote]

:love:
Max-n-Indy

Return to “Books & Literature”