Best Canine Character in Literature....

Discuss dog books! Anything from training to holistic remedies, or even just dog-related fiction.
Chuffy
Settling in

Best Canine Character in Literature....

Postby Chuffy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:24 pm

I nominate HAIRY MACLARY.

Am I the ONLY person who remembers him? I've got a couple of Hairy Maclary books for William. He loves them.

I also love GASPODE, who apears in Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett. I swear of my dog could talk he would be just like Gaspode :)

biscuit
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Best Canine Character in Literature....

Postby biscuit » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:18 pm

I don't remember Hairy MacLary, now I will have to check it out. The name is great :)

catherinec
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby catherinec » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:55 pm

I don't know either of those :(

I'm having a mindblock and cannot think of any dogs in literature right now . . . I'll have to get back to you!

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:06 pm

Oh, how about Where The Red Fern Grows. I just watched the movie a few weeks ago. The boy raises the 2 hound dogs, Ol' Dan and Li'l Ann. Great story!

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:42 pm

One of my most vivid childhood memories is of Where the Red Fern Grows. I can feel/see/hear/smell everything that was around me when I read that book and *sobbed* my way through the ending. I wasn't a crier as a kid; I didn't even cry for Old Yeller. But WtRFG wrecked me.

Did you watch the old version, Barksalot? The mean boys' dog reminds me of Roscoe (in appearance only, of course)

BarksaLot
Hopelessly addicted

Postby BarksaLot » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:36 am

I think it was the old version - we got it off Netflix. I can't remember that I read WtRFG, I'll have to look through all my school books and see if I have it. I think it's on my list of want to reads!

Oh, I forgot about Old Yeller, that would be my second choice, I loved that one as a kid.

biscuit
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby biscuit » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:09 pm

[quote=Jen]One of my most vivid childhood memories is of Where the Red Fern Grows. I can feel/see/hear/smell everything that was around me when I read that book and *sobbed* my way through the ending. I wasn't a crier as a kid; I didn't even cry for Old Yeller. But WtRFG wrecked me.

Did you watch the old version, Barksalot? The mean boys' dog reminds me of Roscoe (in appearance only, of course) [/quote]

Absolutely Where the Red Fern Grows - Old Dan and Little Ann. :love: I'm 51 and remember those dogs from my fourth grade teacher reading it in class. The whole class cried. One of the best books I have ever read. I can taste his soda, hear the hounds. Whatta book.

I will have to check out the movies, I have never seen them. Then again, I have the book in my mind in technicolor, maybe I don't need to. :)

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:13 pm

I think I've read Old Yeller 15 times. I'm not sure why I liked it so much... it's very sad at the end. I never wanted to read WtRFG... too many people said it was sad. I did see the movie and bawled too!

How about Sounder? Or Shiloh?

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:34 pm

Oh, yes, Sounder. I studied that one with my 6th grade class a few years ago. That story is wonderful on so many levels. I tried to read it with my 5th graders last year, but it was too advanced for them.

I've never read Shiloh. I did recently see Because of Winn-Dixie. I'm curious to read the book now because I didn't really like the movie, but many teachers I know love it.

I also remember a book with a dog named Tuck, I think. He belonged to a young girl, and he went blind. Does anyone remember that book?

Jim Kjelgaard also wrote good "dog books," the only ones I remember well is Big Red series (Irish Red, Big Red, Outlaw Red).

luvarescue
No, I don't have a life!

Postby luvarescue » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:38 pm

When my girls were little we watched Ol' Yeller together. They were so upset by the ending that they made me erase the tape- they didn't even want it in the house!

Amanda
Permanent Resident

Postby Amanda » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:01 pm

Jen- The book you are thinking of is The Trouble with Tuck by Theodore Taylor. I LOVED that book too! Thanks for reminding me! :) eta: Theodore Taylor wrote _Sniper_ too and that was one of my favorites in 4th grade too!

This isn't a dog book, but Yellow Eyes by Rutherford George Montgomery and L. D. Cram is an old classic about a cougar that I loved as a kid. My dad recommended it to me as he liked it when he was little. :) I also liked Rascal (about a kid and a racoon).

Don't forget _The Incredible Journey_!!

Calypso
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Calypso » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:27 pm

Hairy Maclary rocks!!!! My sister found one of the books in England and my daughter loves it. I do, too. Actually, my sister's BF had it memorized by the time they came for a visit. :)

I'm not sure of my all time favorite dog character, though. I'll have to think on this, maybe do some re-reading...

Return to “Books & Literature”