Sander's book is coming! Finally!

Discuss dog books! Anything from training to holistic remedies, or even just dog-related fiction.
connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Sander's book is coming! Finally!

Postby connie » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:34 am

So, you all may or may not know that I have written a book about Sander and all the stuff I learned after he got cancer in 1998, and during the time he lived with it until his death in early 2006.

It's not a big book; it's about 45 or 50 pages in a Word document.

I finished it a year ago but haven't had the energy to try shopping it to mainstream publishers; it's such a 'niche' book that I know it would be a difficult sell at best. I considered self-publishing it, but I don't want to deal with the income, which is not going to be enough to really bump up my lifestyle. rofl

Finally, I figured out that I want the money that I charge for the book to go to dogs, somehow, and right now I'm looking into arrangements to have the book cost be given to an organization that raises and trains guide dogs for the blind. I will have copies made -- probably spiral-bound, copied at Kinko's, with a nice color pic of Sander on the cover -- and sell them for a donation to this organization. I'll pay the costs of the printing, which won't be all that much. When the book sales hit 10,000 a month, I'll re-evaluate this. ;)

This means that Sander's book, which I have cleverly titled Sander's Book, will be available soon for purchase, and will cost -- I think -- $10. That cost will be in the form of a donation.

I'm really excited about this. I'll post more when the details are final! Anyone who wants to buy the book will be able to do so through Sander's website, which is http://www.cinnamondog.com.

Yay!

(Okay, here is where I confess my ulterior motive: I want the book to get 'discovered' by someone who then points me to a way that I can write for a living. I'm so sick of corporate America that I am almost ill coming to work every day. :bleh:)

Paige
Yes, I do have a life!

Re: Sander's book is coming! Finally!

Postby Paige » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:38 am

What a lovely tribute for Sander to make his life hopefully extend/save the lives of other dogs with cancer.

I hope you get discovered and can leave Corporate America. :D
Cash, LT and Soda. And some cats. Cats that are mean.

Jen
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Jen » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:43 am

Yay! I'll buy Sander's Book for myself and a friend who raises guide dog puppies.

Here's to leaving Corporate America!

Bari
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby Bari » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:03 am

[quote=Jen]Yay! I'll buy Sander's Book for myself and Dr. Pasternak.

Here's to leaving Corporate America! [/quote]

Sign me up. As you know, my vet is a true believer and practices alternative medicine and when it comes to treating cancer, he is very open to thinking outside the box.

2dogpack
Hopelessly addicted

Postby 2dogpack » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:08 am

Fellow authors unite!

I hear you, Connie. I'm still editing my first fiction novel. Like you, I want out of the corporate world. I belong to 2 national fiction writing groups, and am always looking for ways writers can market their own work.

Let me know when you're ready to sell. I'll donate.

Of course, my writer brain is also trying to figure out how you could do more with this... LOL!

luvarescue
No, I don't have a life!

Postby luvarescue » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:24 pm

Too cool. I hope you sell a million copies!

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:20 pm

Connie, I have been reading your book....in between tears of course and I think it is well written and you can count on me to purchase a copy from you. It's a good reference for me to share with my clients for sure. You and Sander are an inspiration.

I know how you feel about corporate america....I gave that up going on 6 years ago when I decided I was only going to work my dream job, "being in charge of something enviro oriented" and I can tell you, it has made all the difference in the world when it comes to my health and mental well being. I support anything you can do to move to where you want to go in life.

2dogpack
Hopelessly addicted

Postby 2dogpack » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:51 pm

[quote=RobinS]I know how you feel about corporate america....I gave that up going on 6 years ago when I decided I was only going to work my dream job, "being in charge of something enviro oriented" and I can tell you, it has made all the difference in the world when it comes to my health and mental well being. I support anything you can do to move to where you want to go in life. [/quote]

Yep. My health has done nothing but go downhill. Migranes, angioedema, and more intestinal/colitis problems that I know what to do with. It's why I'm working hard to get out of the corporate life and hopefully, write for a living one day.

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:12 am

That's great Connie. I'll link this up to my web site.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:58 am

Well, the organization that I wanted to donate the proceeds to has passed on this -- their executive director is concerned that some of the stuff in the book would "cause disagreement within the vet community."

I don't know why, but I am quite discouraged by that response even though I understand it and should have expected it.

Okay, now I guess I am just self-publishing and selling it. And I guess I better have a lawyer take a look at it before I do.

Crap.

Aubergine
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Aubergine » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:05 pm

I've just gotten to this thread. First of all, I think it's marvellous that you've finished the book and you can bet that I will get myself a copy. It will be a great addition to the "doggy shelf" :)

Secondly, I can understand how discouraging it is to have your charity of choice turn down your offer. Isn't there a canine cancer society? I think I remember reading about one somewhere - maybe they would be interested? Sorry that I can't think of anything more helpful for you. Hang in there.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:26 am

I've worked out what I believe is a very good solution to the question. :grin:

When the guide-dog organization used the phrase "cause disagreement in the veterinary community" I thought immediately of Catherine O'Driscoll, the author of the book "What Vets Don't Tell You About Vaccines." Now, THERE'S a woman whose writing has caused some disagreement in the vet community!

I sent her an e-mail, she replied, I sent her a draft of the book, she loved it, and we worked out details as follows.

Sander's Book will be available in three ways:

1. As an e-book on a website associated with Catherine's organization, Canine Health Concern
http://www.canine-health-concern.org.uk/
and the proceeds from it will go directly to CHC;

2. As an e-book from Sander's website
http://www.cinnamondog.com
and the proceeds will go to various dog rescues and causes that I will select -- as Paul Newman says with his foods, 'all proceeds to charity';

3. As a hard-copy book that I will print up and which will be sold at my friend's doggie bakery, and the proceeds will go to her store. She was a great friend to Sander, and she is a small-business owner and a dog lover who is in the trenches every day, trying to get people to feed their dogs better food, so that's a good cause.

For anyone on this board who wants a hard-copy book, not an e-book, I will be happy to mail one to you if you PM me.

The books will be ready by mid-September, I hope. I also hope that the designer of Sander's website is going to design the e-book, but I am waiting to hear from Nana on that!

RobinS
No, I don't have a life!

Postby RobinS » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:38 am

Connie, I think that's just wonderful news and I know that Sander is at the bridge smiling down at you today.

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:06 am

[quote=RobinS]Connie, I think that's just wonderful news and I know that Sander is at the bridge smiling down at you today. [/quote]

You know, when the one organization said that they didn't want their name associated with the book, I was really upset. I respect their right to make that call, but I felt the same way I did when I found out that Sander was crippled largely because of the Lyme vax that he'd had, and I was told in effect that well, yes, the vet did f this up and yes, your dog is damaged and no, we can't fix it, but -- you have no recourse and you should just shut up.

I know I'm abrasive, on this board and other places. I know that a fair number of people, including some here, wish that I'd STFU about some things. I've run into countless career dead-ends over the years because the powers that be don't like to be told by a woman that they're wrong -- about anything.

But wrong is wrong, and it's as wrong as it gets for vets to be allowed to do damage to dogs out of either ignorance or ego and not be called on it. It's a classic match of the powerful against the powerless, and the dogs and their owners are the ones who pay.

I understand the guide-dog organization's response but I'm disappointed that they didn't find it in them to take a stand, and I applaud, again, for the umpteenth time, Catherine O'Driscoll.

And yes, Robin, this is a-ok with Sander. :thumbup:

Tracy
Quite involved

Postby Tracy » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:36 pm

Yay! This is great news, Connie.

Colleen
No, I don't have a life!

Postby Colleen » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:08 pm

Wonderful news! I will definately be on the list of getting a hard copy. We will also try to get some of our customers at the grooming shop interested and show them where to order. I don't think at our shop we are very good sales persons tho...ha ha...even when I give the dog food project website out I'm sure not one of our customers actually looks it up...sigh...

Good for you Connie, I'm so proud of you.

sammy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby sammy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:40 pm

I'm so late to this thread but GO YOU! I think that's awesome and I can't wait to read it (someday when I can stay awake for more than one paragraph :/)
Sander must be bragging at the bridge :grin:

PaulaS
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby PaulaS » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:31 am

Connie, big congrats! This is awesome. :grin:
Paula
Lilly, Jack, Alex and Will

Sabine
Site Admin
Custom Title: One Dog Girl

Postby Sabine » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:50 pm

Congrats, Connie! I'm glad I came to this thread so late after my vacation to find the good news that it is getting published and distributed. :)

It's information that needs to be available to dog owners, regardless how much certain organizations "don't want to alienate" the veterinary community. If we had more vets willing to do more of their own research, maybe there wouldn't be such a dire need.

yintzy
No, I don't have a life!

Postby yintzy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:11 am

And I mean it about my web site. Can you help me with some wording so I can post the links?

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:02 am

[quote=yintzy]And I mean it about my web site. Can you help me with some wording so I can post the links? [/quote]

Yep, I will be more than happy to do that. And I can put a link to your site on the Links page at Cinnamondog, since I will be updating the site for this anyway. :thumbup:

I believe that Nana (who did such a beautiful job with the website) is going to take the job of designing the e-book, so that is in the works; the nice folks at CHC are busy for the next couple of weeks, which is okay because I need the time to get the book draft 100% edited anyway. So all of this should take place in late September.

The book isn't a screed against the vet community at all, and I don't name any vets; but I do recount how Sander and Briar were both diagnosed with serious/terminal diseases when they were 7 years old, after I had been fully compliant with all vet recommendations up to that point: commercial food, plenty of shots, early s/n, pesticides given regularly. And yes, a couple of vets made fairly serious mistakes on both of my dogs, and I recount that but I don't rail about it.

The bottom line is, I LEARNED FROM IT. My first two dogs paid a dreadful price; my next two dogs are now 10 and 9 and in absolutely robust health -- because of what I learned and applied and avoided.

It really is just information. And the Canine Health Concern takes the view that "our aim is for the truth to be visible so that people are allowed to be informed and make up their own minds, rather than have to rely upon faulty information being rammed down their throats by those who 'know better'. We ourselves try very hard not to tell anyone what to do, but simply to give information so that people can make decisions based on informed consent." We're definitely on the same page.

Kimboki
Quite involved

Postby Kimboki » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:32 pm

I'm late to this, but congratulations! I'm sure MANY can and will benefit from this book. :)

PofiMia
No, I don't have a life!

Postby PofiMia » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:29 pm

Connie, I'm late, too, but am delighted for you and for all those who will benefit that your vision for Sander's Book is coming to fruition! Congrats!

catherinec
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby catherinec » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:57 pm

I'm late as well - just wanted to chime in with the congratulations!

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:02 am

I took Rudy to the chiro this weekend -- this chiro was a tremendous friend of Sander's and treated him several times a month, usually, over the 7+ years of Sander's life with cancer. I told him about the book arrangements and he asked that I have little cards made up that list the places where people can get the book, so he can hand them out to clients. Yay! I am really hoping that Sander's Book makes even a small difference. I can't count the number of people who over the years have said to me 'I didn't know about the 3-year rabies shot until you told me' or 'I never thought that changing food would help my dog's arthritis but I'm so glad I tried it' or something similar. Even little improvements in the lives of dogs are huge!

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:52 am

Connie, this is so wonderful! Congratulations, and I'm sure there will be a lot of dogs (and people) out there helped by your experience. So wonderful of you to share what you learned.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:10 pm

Hi connie,

I will definitely have to purchase a final version of the book. I love that you've linked with CHC -- it's so approprite.

pm'ed you.
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

Claire
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby Claire » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:25 am

This is terrific, Connie. #1 for others who need Sander's story to help them with their own dogs, and #2, of course, for YOU personally.
Your writing style is excellent. I am always moved by reading Cinnamon Dog's site, and I send my best vibes to you that this will be the start of a wonderful new career for you that removes you from the Corporate grind.
(I visited my former office Friday and it was gloom and doom with another downsizing having taken place. I was so relieved to be out of there and I hope you soon will be saying the same about your situation.)

I, like Yintzy, will add the link to my website. I'll wait for the wording, too. Plus, WHEN I get my boutique, I will contact you for hard copies of Sander's Book to sell.

Wishing you all the best!

connie
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby connie » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:40 pm

[quote=Claire]This is terrific, Connie. #1 for others who need Sander's story to help them with their own dogs, and #2, of course, for YOU personally.
Your writing style is excellent. I am always moved by reading Cinnamon Dog's site, and I send my best vibes to you that this will be the start of a wonderful new career for you that removes you from the Corporate grind.
(I visited my former office Friday and it was gloom and doom with another downsizing having taken place. I was so relieved to be out of there and I hope you soon will be saying the same about your situation.)

I, like Yintzy, will add the link to my website. I'll wait for the wording, too. Plus, WHEN I get my boutique, I will contact you for hard copies of Sander's Book to sell.

Wishing you all the best! [/quote]

Thank you! :thumbup:

Nana has convinced me that there should be some photos in the book, so I am getting those together for her and the finished product should be along pretty soon after that. (Sander was a very handsome dog, if I do say so myself! :love: )

Yes, I came through the merger with a promotion and a raise and I MUST be ready to move on to another stage in my life, because even those things did not diminish my desire to get out of here within the next year or two. I am not corporate. And I never will be.

LisaT_II
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby LisaT_II » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:35 pm

connie, a couple of folks on some lists I'm on have expressed interest in ordering the book when it's ready. If I miss the announcement here, will you make sure that you email or pm me?
Max-n-Indy

Info regarding Ticks and Tick Diseases
http://tinyurl.com/3arfn6r

Forum for the GSD enthusiast!
germanshepherdhome.net/forum

Return to “Books & Literature”