First trip to a dog park

All kinds of dog talk here!
SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

First trip to a dog park

Postby SherriA » Mon May 28, 2007 3:50 pm

My town doesn't have any off-leash parks so it's just not something we've ever done. Today, though, I discovered that there's a dog park 2 towns over, about a 10-15 minute drive away. It was a gorgeous afternoon, so I put Jack in his carseat and we headed over. We had such a good time!

When we first arrived there was only one dog there and they were heading home but decided to hang around for awhile and play. I think that worked out well, because Jack wasn't overwhelmed with chaos. A few more dogs came, then a few more, until at one point there were maybe 8 of them running around. Jack was by far the smallest (and likely the oldest; he's around 10 lbs and almost 14 yrs old) but he was keeping up with the "big dogs" and having a wonderful time.

In the past, Jack has never really been around large numbers of dogs. He hangs out with my neighbor's old golden, but they don't really play, just share the yard. He hangs out with my father's BC's, but they don't really have time for him and he can't keep up with them so they don't play. He's been with friends' dogs, but generally not more than 1 or 2 at a time, so I was a bit wary of taking him somewhere with so many new dogs. I'm so glad it went well. We'll certainly be going back. :cool:

angelaC
Settling in

Re: First trip to a dog park

Postby angelaC » Mon May 28, 2007 5:53 pm

I would like to take my dogs to a dog park but I'm a little afraid that there might be big aggressive dogs with irresponsible owners.... is that irrational?

Anyway, sounds like Jack had a great time!

biscuit
Yes, I do have a life!

Postby biscuit » Mon May 28, 2007 5:57 pm

Awwwww, that is so great! I am happy for both of you. It is so nice to hear a good dog park story and especially with Jack at 14. He deserves good buds. Go Jack.

SherriA
Built-in Forum Feature

Postby SherriA » Mon May 28, 2007 6:39 pm

[quote=angelaC]I'm a little afraid that there might be big aggressive dogs with irresponsible owners.... [/quote]

I was worried about that too, since Jack is little but has NO fear and doesn't seem to realize that he's not as big as the others. We have other dog parks in the area that have separate areas for "small dogs" and "all dogs", and I considered going to one of them, but they were further away so I took a chance on this one. I was happily surprised at how well behaved all the dogs were and how attentive and helpful the owners were. I'm really glad we took a leap of faith and tried it.

You might want to see if there's a park around you that has a small dog area, or go at a time when it's not busy (we lucked into that). I found good listings and descriptions at this website: http://www.ecoanimal.com/dogfun/

cjs
No, I don't have a life!

Postby cjs » Mon May 28, 2007 7:01 pm

If you live up near the bay area there is a city with a small dog park only section...actually two cities.
I don't usually go to parks ...just get together with dogs of friends.

Return to “Our Dogs Online General Topics”